Oh. Snap....lol.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Don't get me wrong, I am not a fan of using "unlimited" especially when they list the usage policy but at the same time your have to do your homework with these things.

My provider has the same language.

Services Average Use Only

VOIPo unmetered residential and small business VoIP plans are intended for average residential or light small business use only. Any other use is strictly prohibited. VOIPo uses automated systems to monitor usage to detect patterns which are typical of non-residential use such as telemarketing, call center, autodialing, continuous call forwarding, frequent, excessively long calls to single numbers, etc.
All residential and small business VoIP plans are designed for customers with average usage of under 5,000 minutes per month. Accounts exceeding 5,000 minutes per month on a regular basis are not eligible for these plans. If an account exceeds 5,000 minutes in a calendar month, VOIPo may bill for the excess minutes above 5,000 at 1.9 cents per minute. VOIPo shall have sole discretion to determine whether usage is consistent with average usage or not.
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather

Premium Member

I still say it's horseshit that they can openly call it "unlimited" when in actuality it isn't.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

said by mr weather:

I still say it's horseshit that they can openly call it "unlimited" when in actuality it isn't.

Oh no doubt.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook to Schvenn

Mod

to Schvenn
Just for interest, it's interesting to note that some companies are now actually taking legal action to protect their reputation from negative online commentary which will further distort the "review" process.

Here's one in Ottawa

»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/b ··· .2803572

HenryA
join:2011-05-28

HenryA

Last year I attended a conference where one of the topics was an end to anonymity on the internet. Given by Mark Zukerbergs sister, Randi. Smart lady.
The gist of the lecture was you can't put a unsubstantiated unconfirmed opinion that borders on an outright lie in print (newspaper won't print your article for the opinion column without your name and telephone number) without it being vetted and tied to an author, so, why can you do it on the internet? One is allowed. One is overlooked.

It would be amazing how fast unverified posts would dry up on sites like DSLReports if there would be ramifications if the author posted untrue statements.

Personally, I'm on the fence regarding anonymity and the internet. I see both sides, but think in general it's a bad idea. That's my opinion only.

Article from 2011 in the Huffington Post regarding the subject

»www.huffingtonpost.com/2 ··· 892.html
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to Schvenn

Premium Member

to Schvenn
Most of your concerns seem to be with the VoIP side, you may want to post in the VoIP forum where btw many Canadians are active.
»VOIP Tech Chat

Most companies that advertise "unlimited" do have either a numeric cap or some other type of cap. Otherwise they would be ripped off by business customers pretending to be residential customers.

VoIP companies (unlike say Bell Canada) pay fees to other companies to carry their outbound calls. If a customer is actually costing them to lose money they will find some way to get rid of that customer.

A restaurant might do the same thing if an "all you can eat" buffet is taken advantage of by a guy eating the equivalent of 8 meals at one time.

(Typical residential usage inbound and outbound almost never exceeds 1000 minutes a month. Someone using over 5000 minutes is almost certain to be running a business, or if not they should be.)

If you had contacted a good VoIP company such as Voip.MS, AcroVoice, or CallCentric, and done it in a timely fashion, they might have been able to get your phone number back.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck to sbrook

to sbrook
said by sbrook:

Just for interest, it's interesting to note that some companies are now actually taking legal action to protect their reputation from negative online commentary which will further distort the "review" process.

Here's one in Ottawa

»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/b ··· .2803572

and here's another from Ottawa too where an owner went after a bad review and was charged:

»www.huffingtonpost.ca/20 ··· 205.html

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

This is one where the owner went about trying to fix the damage the wrong way. This one is like Amy's Baking Company (a Gordon Ramsay attempt to help a restaurant that didn't really want help, but wanted someone to endorse her restaurant!)

Anyway, we await the resolution between vmedia and the OP.

Oh, and by the way, schvenn (the OP) is no more and no less anonymous than HenryA. He just doesn't have an avatar. Not everyone does. I was on here for a long time before setting an avatar.
GeorgeBurger
join:2011-12-30

GeorgeBurger to Schvenn

to Schvenn
I apologize for the delay in responding but I wanted to get all the details.

First of all, in reviewing the notes, you have had extensive dealings with our team, which has been supportive and helpful on these as well as other issues which you have not mentioned. So the general insinuations about their efforts, and the claim that they lied about anything, is insupportable.

With respect to the porting issue, our confirmation email states very clearly, in bold letters,

"DO NOT CANCEL YOUR CURRENT PHONE PROVIDER while we are porting your phone. The porting process will typically take care of that. The porting process will take about 2 -3 weeks and status updates will be posted on your ‘My Account’."

There may have been a "fail" here, but it was not on VMedia's part.

With respect to usage, I have been told that it was made clear to you that the cut off was not related to usage, but rather a glitch, where the billing period was truncated, and you were cut off and billed early for the next succeeding period. It is my understanding as well that you have been made whole for any double billing. Let me know if that is not the case.

While we regret any inconveniences you may have suffered, in view of the extensive dealings we have had with you and the nature of the matters you have complained of, your tone and allegations are unfair, but you are entitled to your views.