Search similar:

uniqs

TreeTopFlyer
join:2001-12-14
Houston, TX

1 edit

TreeTopFlyer

[WIN7] RDP unable to connect after updates [SOLVED]

I just did the monthly scans & MS updates on a dozen Win7 systems remotely using RDP over a VPN. After rebooting I am unable to connect/authenticate to any (but 1) of the systems now.

To clarify: It seems to connect and asks for the password (which was saved on my system). I type in the password and it flashes for a second then returns to the local RDP screen (not the login screen).

The first system I did didn't have this issue and I am currently logged in to it. From it I get the same problem trying to RDP to any of the other systems on the LAN. I am afraid to log off this particular system as I'm trying to get it backed up so I can replace a failing hd when I get the chance to go onsite. I have no doubt if I log off I won't be able to get back in to it. And of course this is the boss's system . . . . I'm currently trying to copy his main data to a spare system (thru existing net shares) in case his system completely dies before I can get there tomorrow.

I have not updated either of 2 Server 2008 R2 systems and can access them fine thru RDP. However I am unable to access the workstations from the Servers.

I can access Network shares from the system I'm logged in to so I know the workstations are up and running.

I usually wait a couple of days to do updates to avoid these kind of situations. Guess I need to go back to procrastinating again . . . LOL

Anyone else seeing this?
TreeTopFlyer

TreeTopFlyer

Re: [WIN7] RDP unable to connect after updates

Very strange . . . I just logged out of the only workstation that allowed me to RDP in to and was able to log bag in thru RDP. Still unable to RDP in to any other workstation.

Kramer
Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA

Kramer

Mod

Are you sure the effected computers rebooted after the updates? I am assuming you are using a VPN to get into the network since you are accessing shares, but I guess you could be accessing them through the one machine you do have contact with. If no VPN, you must be forwarding a lot of ports. Maybe a firewall issue? A router issue? Sounds as if you need to be on-site to see what is going on.

TreeTopFlyer
Houston, TX

TreeTopFlyer

said by Kramer:

Are you sure the effected computers rebooted after the updates?

Yes, while logged in to either of the servers I can access individual workstation shares and copy files.
said by Kramer:

If no VPN, you must be forwarding a lot of ports. Maybe a firewall issue? A router issue?

Using OpenVPN thru a pfSense firewall, all fully updated and working for 6 years. Only ports open are for the VPN.
said by Kramer:

Sounds as if you need to be on-site to see what is going on.

Yep. I was kind of hoping to have an idea on what the problem is before I go. I can't find anyone else having this problem thru Google . . .
TreeTopFlyer

TreeTopFlyer

All righty then . . . Apparently 9 of the 10 Win7 Pro systems did a "shutdown" instead of "reboot". There were no shares on these systems so I couldn't test that they were actually up. I "assumed " they were up and running like the 2 Win7 Home systems (this is not an AD network) that had shares that I could access.

Microsoft apparently took offense to people using the RDP "patch" for Win7 Home and disabled it. I had one of the employees onsite do a restore to last Monday and I was able to RDP back in to that system.

Guess I can play with the updates while the failing system restores when I go onsite to replace the hd.

Looks like MS finally caught the "Tator" . . .

nick61
@86.125.12.x

nick61

Anon

Hi,

I just wanted to confirm the issue signaled by TreeTopFlyer: the problem is only for win 7 HP with RDP patch. If you succeed to catch what was the "infamous" update, please post the kb... number here.

Thank you,
redwolfe_98
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11

redwolfe_98 to TreeTopFlyer

Premium Member

to TreeTopFlyer
my guess is that the problem is due to the update for RDP:

»support2.microsoft.com/k ··· /2984972

»www.infoworld.com/articl ··· 388.html

TreeTopFlyer
Houston, TX

TreeTopFlyer

said by redwolfe_98:

my guess is that the problem is due to the update for RDP:

»support2.microsoft.com/k ··· /2984972

»www.infoworld.com/articl ··· 388.html

Confirmed after testing.

I strongly suggest reading the Infoworld link posted by redwolfe. There are 3 more updates that would have caused me great grief during the next few days. These updates affect Win 7, Win 8.1, Server 2008 R2, Server 2012, and VMware.

Black Tuesday Redux indeed . . .