uniqs

PToN
Premium Member
join:2001-10-04
Houston, TX

PToN

Premium Member

WTF...?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?

So we have this fucking guy on a entire separate department, that all of the sudden suggested we get rid of our MS Open Value agreement and go back to OEM copies.

My boss now wants me to present why we need this agreement....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

F*********Ckkkkkk...!!!

Wtf BS is this crap..???

I am about to fucking quit this job...

Chubbzie
join:2014-02-11
Greenville, NC
Hitron CDA3
(Software) OpenBSD + pf

Chubbzie

said by PToN:

entire separate department

What department would that be? Why does your boss insist you justify your current agreement due to others input? Without knowing the specifics it sounds like your boss needs to quit or be fired.

WireHead
I drive to fast
Premium Member
join:2001-05-09
Muncie, IN

2 recommendations

WireHead to PToN

Premium Member

to PToN
I would let the agreement lapse then.

In short order he will most certainly have his answer.

You can't fix stupid, but you can damn sure laugh at it. It's best from a distance.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to PToN

MVM

to PToN
Two options : your boss has other people form opinions for him (a la Dilbert PHB), or your boss is trying to keep an open mind...

Crazy question PToN See Profile... and this is ONLY personal curiousity, is there a specific reason why you're using the Open Value arrangement other
than "you've done it for forever and a day, and the arrangement works well for you?"
said by WireHead:

You can't fix stupid, but you can damn sure laugh at it. It's best from a distance.

...great line! I'm stealing that one

My 00000010bits

Regards

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

Wily_One to PToN

Premium Member

to PToN
Yeah I'd ask "what department" as well. Sounds like Finance, which in many companies IT reports up to.

So they want a financial analysis of the cost/benefit of one versus the other. Aren't you glad you're in IT?

The Dv8or
Just call me Dong Suck Oh, M.D.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-09
Denver, CO

The Dv8or to PToN

Premium Member

to PToN
Have fun keeping track of CDs and serial numbers!

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to PToN

Premium Member

to PToN
And don't forget to add in the legal issues with buying OEM without buying hardware at the same time and that OEM is legally locked to just the computer its installed on.

In my experience legal troubles can trump accounting issues, so after that then toss in the cost benefits of MS Open.

BTW why aren't you on select or higher?
AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

AsherN to PToN

Premium Member

to PToN
Honestly, there is a case to be made for buying OEM.

IF you only upgrade software at hardware replacement. and you want to keep Windows and Office at the version available at time of purchase, then you can save by buying OEM.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by AsherN:

Honestly, there is a case to be made for buying OEM.

IF you only upgrade software at hardware replacement. and you want to keep Windows and Office at the version available at time of purchase, then you can save by buying OEM.

Depends on the level of E-Open agreement.
AsherN
Premium Member
Thornhill, ON

AsherN

Premium Member

True. Without knowing that, we can't really comment on which is best.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by AsherN:

True. Without knowing that, we can't really comment on which is best.

and even then with E-Open you can just maintain software assurance and always be able to use almost any version of it.

PToN
Premium Member
Houston, TX

PToN

Premium Member

Well, i started the MS Open Value agreement to simplify deployments and maintain only 1 image instead of having to maintain several images. Accounting for CD keys was another huge headache.

Another reason i bough this was because of hardware refresh. And since we have SA, we could upgrade/downgrade as needed.

One of the points this other person making is that with Windows 8.1 the terms changed on which you can transfer the license to other PC as long as you dont use it on the previous PC.

At this point we have already paid for 40 licenses and we are on the second 3 year agreement. This time we only paid $2000 for those 40 PCs as we only maintain SA now (we do yearly payments) So i am gonna tell him on monday that is $2000 per year is a problem, then there are bigger issues in the company.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

1 recommendation

guppy_fish

Premium Member

said by PToN:

So i am gonna tell him on monday that is $2000 per year is a problem, then there are bigger issues in the company.

I would suggest you do as your asked. Your taking this personally and the only reason you have posted your way you brought in is better is its less work for you?

Your boss has a request, you better understand, that he doesn't want or need an attitude from you. Spend and hour or two, make a spreadsheet and show how the company is saving money.

Frankly, this should have been done before you made the switch, and that documentation would only need to be updated.
AsherN
Premium Member
Thornhill, ON

AsherN to PToN

Premium Member

to PToN
Actually, if all you're using OL is for imaging, you only need one. Or the minimum, which I believe is 5.

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium Member
join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA

1 edit

Veloslave to PToN

Premium Member

to PToN
Well... like others have said, stupidity is rarely curable. You are now presented with the opportunity to prove why you have your job and what a tool the other guy is. Bottom line is it saves you boat loads of $$$ but you need to put a spreadsheet together to show that. Once the bean counters see your results, that will be all that matters.

Take the high road and be the hero... there will be less stupid questions in the future.

(BTW...)

Just wanted to add, this is the right place to vent that BS, we all feel your pain. All jobs have those real BS days, rise above, it'll all be good.

PToN
Premium Member
Houston, TX

PToN to guppy_fish

Premium Member

to guppy_fish
This was done and justified 5 years ago when we first made the switch, this is why we have an agreement in the first place. I didnt just pull this out of butt.

WireHead
I drive to fast
Premium Member
join:2001-05-09
Muncie, IN

WireHead

Premium Member

If all of your data is still relevant, then send it on up.
mikefxu
join:2004-10-05
Titusville, FL

mikefxu to PToN

to PToN
said by PToN:

One of the points this other person making is that with Windows 8.1 the terms changed on which you can transfer the license to other PC as long as you dont use it on the previous PC.

Wouldn't that be a Retail copies only, not OEM?

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to PToN

Premium Member

to PToN
said by PToN:

This was done and justified 5 years ago when we first made the switch, this is why we have an agreement in the first place. I didnt just pull this out of butt.

Everything I wrote is still relevant. Having the old justification, just needs to be updated as things DO change, what the issue with you doing this?, its part of the job. Good company's should regularly review how they do things as the underlying technology is always changing. You might even be surprised with results of updating the original proposal ..

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA

cypherstream to PToN

MVM

to PToN
PC's are generally replaced every 4 years here. So its cheaper just to get it from Dell.