All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
akraz
join:2011-03-14

akraz

Teksavvy vs Rogers

I currently have Teksavvy, and have been a customer of theirs 4 years. You're probably wondering why i would switch back to Rogers... well here is why.

I'm paying $67/mo after taxes for Teksavvy 60d/10u/150gb cap internet . It is currently the only service I have in my home. I just stream, or download everything but I am a big sports watcher so this is where it may cost me.

With my Rogers Wireless business plan, I do have a full free subscription to NHL Gamecentre Live, and that does cover Sportsnet, and some LeafsTV games. CBC games can always be streamed for free too legitimately. So really the only games I am missing out on are TSN/CityTV. I do stream from those 3rd party sites like FirstRow, etc, but too many times the streams die mid-game or the quality is crap, or i get stuck with the foreign team's stream that is just awful.

I called Rogers' and inquired about their TV subscription package for their Sports+ package. It is being offered, as-is online at $74.99/mo + $13/mo box rental + $80 in "activation fees" ... so a lot of money JUST for TV.

Their offer to me: if i switched to Rogers internet (60d/10u/320gb cap) and TV Sports+ cable package, they would give it to me for $88/mo taxes in for 6 months then $122/mo thereonafter - no contract. They are offering this package with a free HDPVR that I can buy out for $1 if i had this for 3 years (who cares...).

I cannot bundle with my wireless plan because it is a business account. I have to get TV/internet separately.

Is this "worth" it? Should I take their bait?

Also one question for anyone that has switched from Teksavvy to Rogers.. were you able to keep your modem and use it for Rogers? I do not want their modem/wireless all-in-one devices. They are pieces of crap. I just simply want a basic modem. I guess if it came down to it, i could sell my Thompson DCM476. It's barely 2 months old.

Thanks

WAZAP
@184.145.122.x

WAZAP

Anon

First, you cannot use the same modem.

You will have to get CGN3 modem which works good in bridge mode with latest firmware.

Secondly, if the price is right, i would take it.

Nowdays, Teksavvy is expensive, more expensive then most other 3rd party ISPs, and simply, it doesn't work well any more like it used too.

I switched recently to Rogers from 3rd party ISP, and i am really glad that i am.

Nothing wrong with Rogers nowdays.
akraz

akraz

Ok thank you.

I guess I could just ask the rep but is there a non-built-in wireless modem i can get from them? I have a very good Asus RT-N56 router and prefer to use that.

I agree Teksavvy became very expensive lately. Not sure why.

WAZAP
@184.145.122.x

WAZAP

Anon

i really don't want to get into teksavvy talk myself, as i dont like that isp and never did.

you can only get cgn3 modem for 60\10 from rogers.

that modem once in bridge, you can use it with your router, and it works very well, no issues at all.
Hooter
join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON

1 recommendation

Hooter to WAZAP

to WAZAP
said by WAZAP :

Huh! Just the fact that you need to bridge the modem in order to get decent performance is indicative of a problem with Rogers!
akraz

akraz

said by Hooter:

said by WAZAP :

Huh! Just the fact that you need to bridge the modem in order to get decent performance is indicative of a problem with Rogers!

They should really have different modem options.. sort of ridiculous that I am forced to get their crappy all-in-one device. Those things are nightmares.

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium Member
join:2002-05-20
London, ON
Netgear R7000
Asus RT-N66
Hitron CODA-4582

nekkidtruth to Hooter

Premium Member

to Hooter
said by Hooter:

said by WAZAP :

Or the extortionate pricing....

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck to WAZAP

to WAZAP
he can also get the cgn2 for 60/10, it's a terrible router but it works well in bridge mode, while the cgn3 is actually a good router/wifi device but until the recent firmware sucked in bidge mode.

WAZAP
@184.145.122.x

WAZAP to akraz

Anon

to akraz
Rogers provides me service i pay for, actually, even better, more download and upload speed then advertised.

Their Router\Mod
em\Device work without any issue and i really can't complain about that.

Gateway or Bridge mode, i don't care as long as it works properly, and as long is i get what i pay for, and i really do.

You can bitch 24h a day about Rogers and their modems, but, in the end, no real issues.

Your call you know what is the best for your $, as i knew what is best for my $ (and working for it very hard ! ).

anyway, thats all i had to say in this thread.

Goood luck making your decision.

Have a good day.
vincom
join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON

vincom to akraz

to akraz
wireless(non-bussiness) was never a service you could combine with others to get a combo deal, idk why you would have to ask rogers.
rogers internet prices/caps are getting better because of teksavvy and alike, competition u know. if those companies disappear you know what would happen to rogers prices.
i myself w/5 adults living in the house we use ~500gb/mnth well over the caps rogers offers as we do not have tv service.
speeds are relative, im at 25/2 and dont need 60/10 as everything streams and dl's fine. i pay $41.95 +tx /mth. and dont need to call x amount of times to try and get a better deal as w/rogers.
what ever price/deal you have w/rogers the prices will go up.

WAZAP
@184.145.122.x

WAZAP

Anon

prices on teksavvy went up as well, everything is getting more expensive now-days in Canada, why Internet wouldn't? hardly anyone can live without today.

GCL
@209.87.227.x

GCL to akraz

Anon

to akraz
said by akraz:

With my Rogers Wireless business plan, I do have a full free subscription to NHL Gamecentre Live, and that does cover Sportsnet, and some LeafsTV games. CBC games can always be streamed for free too legitimately. So really the only games I am missing out on are TSN/CityTV.

I assume you're in the Toronto viewing region?

If so, you'll get the nationally broadcast games from Gamecenter Live and that's it. That includes the CBC and CityTV games, and some of the Sportsnet games (16 are regional, not included, unless you have TV service with Sportsnet in the package from a participating tv service provider). All in all, you would get the 40 national games.

The CBC games are no longer being streamed for free.

Your free subscription is also only until the end of the year.
cepnot4me
join:2013-10-29
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me to Hooter

to Hooter
Here's the thing to watch.

Guy Laurence wants to return Rogers to a "customer first" company.

It's priority one.

And that's a tall order when you think about.

Billing.
Cost of services.
Equipment.
Install and service quality (low because of the ridiculously low wages paid).
Customer care (or lack of caring).
Billing.
Billing.
Billing.

Did I mention billing?

It's going to require a ground up rebuild of sorts.

I'd like to think. We are seeing this start.

Game center live randomly and selectively being given for free as a "thank you".

Hybrid fiber pricing being competitive to TPIA.

Maybe Rogers can turn themselves around from "I hate rogers" to, "I tolerate Rogers".
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

I would hardly call the free game centre live a "thank you". You need to be on the company's most profitable plan to get it and you're subject to overage charges if you go over your bandwidth allowance.

Regardless of Guy's "plan", I don't think the end consumer has benefited at all. In fact, hearing from my internal contacts, the culture really hasn't changed and a lot of anti-consumer policies have been implemented since Guy has taken over.

In contrast when Telus vowed to make customer service their number one priority to drive their growth, consumers saw changes almost immediately. Their customer service rankings saw dramatic improvements and growth in their wireless segment is now outpacing both Rogers and Bell.
pkclown
join:2014-03-01
Chilliwack, BC

pkclown to akraz

to akraz
I have a double-data share plan from last December and get free hockey for a year. I'm happy. I don't see what the issue is.

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium Member
London, ON
Netgear R7000
Asus RT-N66
Hitron CODA-4582

nekkidtruth to cepnot4me

Premium Member

to cepnot4me
said by cepnot4me:

I'm sorry....you're joking right?

There is anywhere from $15-$40 differences between Rogers pricing and TPIA's. That's nowhere near "competitive".

joeblow3
join:2000-12-27
h0h0h0

joeblow3 to WAZAP

to WAZAP
said by WAZAP :

you can only get cgn3 modem for 60\10 from rogers.

No so...I have rogers 60/10 and have a CGN2 modem. Works fine.

Bill
cepnot4me
L0C 1K0

1 edit

cepnot4me to yyzlhr

to yyzlhr
Don't misunderstand me. I think GCL just being given to some Business customers, 250/20 without them calling to ask for it is a step in the right direction. One step, but there is still a marathon ahead of Rogers to get them to "tolerable" none the less making customers feel appreciated or "first".
I don't have much faith in Rogers to be honest, the task looks to be too big because they're so far from where they want to be.
That being said, as long as they are trending towards the customer first goal, I will notice.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck to nekkidtruth

to nekkidtruth
said by nekkidtruth:

said by cepnot4me:

I'm sorry....you're joking right?

There is anywhere from $15-$40 differences between Rogers pricing and TPIA's. That's nowhere near "competitive".

I'm geting 60/10 unlimited for $70/month or so off Rogers right now.

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium Member
London, ON
Netgear R7000
Asus RT-N66
Hitron CODA-4582

2 edits

nekkidtruth

Premium Member

Bundled or discounted, sure. It's $107 (taxes in) on it's own.

I've just noticed there have been price changes since I last looked. Regardless, Rogers is still not "competitive". These are all 60/10 Unlimited packages with the exception of EBox which has a 1TB cap.

Rogers: $94+Tax
TekSavvy: $94+tax
Execulink: $89+tax
Start: $80
ElectronicBox: $66+tax
Distributel: $64+tax
Vmedia: $64+tax

damir
join:2013-12-12
CANADA

damir

I am getting pretty good deal on 150\15 as well, much better deal then what START was able to offer, or TSI, or any other ISP. (We all know the reasons, but, still... i am happy camper so far).

oceros37
join:2013-07-20
St Thomas, ON

1 recommendation

oceros37 to akraz

to akraz
If it's worth $900 a year for some extra sports on your TV, go nuts.
I'm cheap so I wouldn't let rogers talk me into paying $75 more per month =P
Promo 6 month crap I tend to just ignore. The end price is what to consider, and also knowing that the price will almost guaranteed slowly increase by a few bucks here and there as Rogers likes to do.

The internet usage policies are atrocious also, compared to TPIA.
At the same time, you wouldn't necessarily be using as much if you shifted a good deal over to your TV.

I'd take the $900 a year and actually GO to a few extra leafs games

RLBL
join:2012-11-26
Gloucester, ON

RLBL to akraz

to akraz
It is quite simple really:

If you watch TV and think it is worth %60 or so /month, go to Rogers and get the best deal you can .

If you do not watch TV there are way cheaper choices out there than Rogers

damir
join:2013-12-12
CANADA

damir

Depending on the Internet plan you want\need, really.

GroovyPhoenx
Premium Member
join:2006-05-22
Gloucester, ON

GroovyPhoenx to oceros37

Premium Member

to oceros37
said by oceros37:

Don't you mean ONE leaf game? 8-)

Cattus
@99.238.26.x

Cattus to akraz

Anon

to akraz
I'm pretty sure you can use your own router if you want. You can also turn off the HiTron router if you wish or just leave it on for visitors.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda to Hooter

Premium Member

to Hooter
said by Hooter:

said by WAZAP :

Umm, well, to be honest using a router from your carrier is a bad idea any day of the week so who WOULDN'T immediately bridge their device?

I really wish Rogers had standalone devices available but tbt the CGN3 in bridge isn't bad hardware; Puma6 chipset is pretty decent pedigree.
SimplePanda

SimplePanda to GroovyPhoenx

Premium Member

to GroovyPhoenx
said by GroovyPhoenx:

said by oceros37:

Don't you mean ONE leaf game? 8-)

Depends if you get them through the box office or not I guess.

I don't know how it works with the Leafs but the Habs have a day (back in Sept) where the non seasons tickets all go one sale to the Internet. My wife and I got 3 games, all great seats, for a couple hundred bucks.

Of course, every game is now 100% sold out and StubHub tickets for the back 3 rows are around $100 each... so you really need to get in on that public sale on day one if you want to see a game.
cepnot4me
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me

Rogers gave me game center live for free today.

I have a $120/month cell plan. Nothing else (only cause they aren't in my area).

Too bad I don't watch hockey, buy the wife is excited... she watches.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to cepnot4me

Premium Member

to cepnot4me
With the losses in the last quarter, he's got two maybe three quarters left before he gets the boot and they return to their "Fuck the customer" ways.