Search similar:

uniqs
decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

1 recommendation

decifal7

when

When netflix drops their dvd service (they will eventually) their numbers are going to hurt much worse.. Some of us don't have the luxery of large or unlimited caps which by default knocks us right out of being a customer.. And being I can't take my laptop/smartphone and predownload a couple movies through a hotspot to watch on my tv, it just won't ever be an option...

Not all of us live in rural 12 mile per home areas. And the people that have to travel the most to pickup entertainment are more likely to be the very people to use the dvd subscription services as their options are limited..

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas

Premium Member

the second mediacom implamented data caps, i dropped netflix. if they dont think caps are affecting their bottom line their blinder than i am (20/400 both eyes). according to mediacom i was using 1TB a month and no i didnt do torrents or iso's, a few games and mostly netflix. granted im home practically all the time and i tended to benge on my shows, maybe 4 hours a day. but at the rate i was paying that 1TB would have cost me roughly $200/mo wasnt worth it to me.

but most of the stuff i watched was not available for DVD rentals, so my only option was to just cancel it.

buzzkill
@74.115.237.x

buzzkill to decifal7

Anon

to decifal7
Well, just like we choose what we watch, many of us choose where we live. Not nagging at you but if you choose to live (rather by choice or not) where you do, you give up some of the stuff we urbanites gain. Be happy you can at least get Dish/Direct TV. This sounds like back when people who lived "out in the country", they bitched about not having good phone service but those city folk did. Give it time and you will have something better then dial up. Trust me

crazyk4952
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
united state
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Polycom VVX300

crazyk4952 to decifal7

Premium Member

to decifal7
I live in a medium-sized city and have a couple of decent ISPs to choose from. However, I see many of my neighbors are still subscribe to Netflix DVD rental service. Walking around my neighborhood, I see half of a dozen red envelopes waiting for the mail carrier to pick them up.

I think a lot of people prefer the DVD service (even in urban areas) for a variety of reasons.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to decifal7

Premium Member

to decifal7
Most homes in America have access to 25mbps+ with large or no caps. The segment of the market that lives in the middle of nowhere is very small compared to the greater market...
decifal7
Bon Aqua, TN

1 recommendation

decifal7 to thedragonmas

to thedragonmas
said by thedragonmas:

but most of the stuff i watched was not available for DVD rentals, so my only option was to just cancel it.

You would figure that in a time of the technology we have, that it would be cheaper to transmitt data over the internet than to burn it to a dvd and pay the shipping cost.... I mean seriously $15 per gig of data for overages in some cases?!? Monopoly minded companies, plain and simple.. Only reason dialup became unlimited was due to the actual ability for there to be true competition.. If it wasn't for that, we'd probably all be stuck with 30 hours a month of aol dialup still

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium Member
join:2004-02-14
EC/SETX SWLA

1 recommendation

atuarre

Premium Member

It should be cheaper. Technology should be driving down prices. You did not factor in human nature into the equation. Human greed is what is driving prices up. Simple as that.
decifal7
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7

said by atuarre:

It should be cheaper. Technology should be driving down prices. You did not factor in human nature into the equation. Human greed is what is driving prices up. Simple as that.

Oh, I know this by passive standard... But some of the fanatics always scream spectrum limitations and blahh blah blah boohicky yum yum when I bring that up... I understand them not wanting people on every device sharing files 24/7 etc, but this current scheme is causing regression in technology use and it should be dealt with
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA to decifal7

Premium Member

to decifal7
Mobile broadband and HFC/FTTH/FTTN are two totally different beasts.

A lack of wired broadband is a policy issue about wired broadband, and has nothing to do with mobile broadband, except that in some cases, people are forced to use mobile broadband for something that it was never meant for, can't handle, and doesn't make sense to use for. There's no technological reason that we can't bring 100mbps or more of hardwired broadband to every house with electric and phone service in the US, it's just a lack of policy leadership that has gotten us into the mess that we are in with rural connectivity.
decifal7
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7

I think originally cellular technology wasn't intended for it. Pushing the envelope and god forbid mailing the thing may lead to new discoveries. Sitting on old stuff and pampering it while raking in a cash cow just stagnates everything.. I bet we have barely scratched wireless technology on the surface of discoveries... That being said, i agree that every house with power should have access to a land based and affordable broadband in this country... If we can give hundreds of billions to banks who in turn end up just wanting more, then lets actually do something that benefits the citizens rather than a couple ceo's with golden parachutes....