Doylstown Pa
Premium Member
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA

1 recommendation

buckingham to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo

Re: [OS X] Anyone install Yosemite today?

I'm finding that the sidebar has disappeared from iTunes...again. And I cannot find a way to bring it back this time.

fourboxers
Mod
join:2003-05-04
Toronto

fourboxers

Mod

It's only on the playlists view if you have it set to songs rather than the default albums it's similar to the last version.

buckingham
Doylstown Pa
Premium Member
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA

buckingham

Premium Member

said by fourboxers:

It's only on the playlists view if you have it set to songs rather than the default albums it's similar to the last version.

Thanks...much appreciated. Not exactly the same, but closer to what I prefer.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
Just bought my first Mac ever (MacBook Air / 13" / Early 2014 / i5 / 256GB / 4GB) and while it nearly took two hours to download, I got it and am running it -- still learning OS X but am looking forward to that and the integrated features with my iOS devices...

(Meanwhile, hubby downloaded it in less than 20 minutes after I was done downloading )

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
join:2002-03-30
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

said by darcilicious:

Just bought my first Mac ever (MacBook Air / 13" / Early 2014 / i5 / 256GB / 4GB) and while it nearly took two hours to download, I got it and am running it -- still learning OS X but am looking forward to that and the integrated features with my iOS devices...

(Meanwhile, hubby downloaded it in less than 20 minutes after I was done downloading )

I had mine since mid 2012. I've been running it in a windows network and I have no issues. It's still running strong and fast. I can't say the same for the Dell windows laptop I had before it.
This update makes it feel NEW again. It's a little quicker, looks fresh, and just over all feels nice to use. It's like having a new computer all over again.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

I will say it hasn't been super smooth; first thing I did was update to Yosemite (well, that and tweaked the trackpad, which I truly love). After the install/report, I had six updates from the App Store (iPhoto, Garage Band, etc) which I tried to update. The first time I entered my password, it said wrong password; second time it said that the update was not available for that Apple ID. So I kept signing out and signing back in but the update was always "unavailable".

Turns out that I had to go to the Purchased section and enter my password there (once for each of the six apps, sigh) to associate those apps to my Apple ID in order to activate them. THEN I could update them.

That error message did NOTHING to indicate how I could possibly resolve my problem but hubby eventually figured it out (he's been using a Mac of some kind or another for 5+ years).

But like I said, I'm looking forward to the more integrated experience/services with my iOS devices. And I'll probably be selling off my iPad Air and possibly getting a iPad mini down the road...
MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR to donoreo

to donoreo
Ran the upgrade today. I didn't really notice how long it took since I was doing other things during download and installation.

Just a couple of tiny problems:

- Mouse buttons (Evoluent Vertical Mouse 4) were wrong, and SteerMouse did not recognize it. Found out there was a new version for Yosemite. Check.
- Mac App Store was showing up in French. Turns out that it used the language from my Apple ID account instead of the language set up in OS X. I change the language for my account to English, and had to go to my account settings through the Mac App Store application for it to switch to English. Check.
- The font for the list of messages in Thunderbird looks smaller than it used to. Haven't looked into that one yet.

Soooo pretty much painless as far as OS upgrades go. Like the new background (never bothered to find one I want to see on three 27" monitors, so I always leave the stock background on).
jm101
join:2011-07-17
Oakland, CA

jm101 to donoreo

to donoreo
I have been using it for about an hour or so. Pretty nice but g++ seems to have disappeared.

DBoddah
@96.49.254.x

DBoddah to WK2

Anon

to WK2
I'm having this same problem. What ended up happening with yours?
DaveRb
join:2005-02-12
Allen, TX

DaveRb to donoreo

to donoreo
started install this afternoon, saw a post that said it could take 3 hours, so went out for lunch with my Wife, found a great new place to us called Gloria's in Frisco TX, totally enjoyed the Seafood Soup, came home and all is good on the MAC!!!!

AppleGuy
Premium Member
join:2013-09-08
Kitchener, ON

AppleGuy to Daemon

Premium Member

to Daemon
said by Daemon:

FWIW, the final build is 14A389.

14A388b for me, doesn't show in update.
Has me wondering, if I am in Beta, I'll need to do this update manually. Does that mean I'm no longer 'beta testing'?

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

14A388b is the public beta GM. Should be the same as 14A389, except a few icons changed apparently.

I suspect if you stay on 14A388b, you'll automatically be opt-ed in to receiving pre-release updates (10.10.1, for example) through the public beta program. If you force-install 14A389 (which you can do through the App Store), you might drop out of the beta program - not 100% sure.

AppleGuy
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

AppleGuy

Premium Member

Thanks TD, I'll leave my OS alone. It'll update when it updates. Have a good morning!

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
Still having issues on my iMac. Will boot but freezes on login and safe mode locks up as well.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy to jm101

Premium Member

to jm101
said by jm101:

I have been using it for about an hour or so. Pretty nice but g++ seems to have disappeared.

Did you update Xcode?

WK2
Premium Member
united state

WK2 to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
Just did a clean install....no more issues.

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL

pcdebb to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
downloaded and installed in about 20 minutes. Nothing seems broken.
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon to AppleGuy

Premium Member

to AppleGuy
said by AppleGuy:

said by Daemon:

FWIW, the final build is 14A389.

14A388b for me, doesn't show in update.
Has me wondering, if I am in Beta, I'll need to do this update manually. Does that mean I'm no longer 'beta testing'?

Last time, the developer GM and public release of Mavericks were off by a single build number too. After much handwringing by devs, it turned out both builds were updatable to 10.9.1, after which the code bases were the same.

I ended up doing a reinstall of the public release, just to avoid any bugs introduced by so many incremental updates over the testing period (I just install the public release straight over the GM, so it acts like an upgrade). But that probably wasn't necessary as I didn't see any bugs with the GM anyway, at least none that aren't in the public release too.
Daemon

Daemon to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

14A388b is the public beta GM. Should be the same as 14A389, except a few icons changed apparently.

I suspect if you stay on 14A388b, you'll automatically be opt-ed in to receiving pre-release updates (10.10.1, for example) through the public beta program. If you force-install 14A389 (which you can do through the App Store), you might drop out of the beta program - not 100% sure.

If they do a public beta of 10.10.1, I suspect you're correct. But apple has never done public testing of point updates. If it works like Mavericks, you end up on the release channel and will get the final version of 10.10.1. To beta test point updates, you'd need to be invited to the relevant AppleSeed.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Apple introduced public betas for point releases with Mavericks. That was the only thing available via the public beta system before Yosemite was announced.

»www.engadget.com/2014/04 ··· program/
Thinkdiff

Thinkdiff to Daemon

MVM,

to Daemon
Weird.. Just got an email from the beta program stating we should install the release version. No explanation.

But it does say we will continue to receive beta updates, even on the retail version.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

I just got that too...
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

Weird.. Just got an email from the beta program stating we should install the release version. No explanation.

But it does say we will continue to receive beta updates, even on the retail version.

Yep, I was wrong.

AppleGuy
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

AppleGuy to Daemon

Premium Member

to Daemon
Apple just sent me an e-mail 2 minutes ago, literally.

So it would seem that I'd continue to get regular beta updates, but they want me to upgrade first.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by AppleGuy:

Apple just sent me an e-mail 2 minutes ago, literally.

»Re: [OS X] Anyone install Yosemite today?

teach
Premium Member
join:2000-09-21
North Las Vegas, NV

teach to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
I installed over the weekend and just got a chance to play with it. I opened safari bookmarks and wow, I was treated to a trip to the past! Bookmarks from when I was using the Cube, where in there.
I have to use the black menu bar, the flat look is doable though I miss the older look and the dock poof.
No problems so far.

AppleGuy
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

AppleGuy to darcilicious

Premium Member

to darcilicious
LOL...I never bothered to read the thread, just added at the bottom...lol...funny.

WK2
Premium Member
united state

WK2 to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
I got my beta email as well
jm101
join:2011-07-17
Oakland, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

jm101 to dennismurphy

to dennismurphy
said by dennismurphy:

said by jm101:

Did you update Xcode?

I am pretty certain that I did not have Xcode installed on Mavericks. Somehow g++ just magically worked. Guess I'll have to install or reinstall the command line tools. No big deal. Yosemite is awesome!

WK2
Premium Member
united state

WK2 to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
Another failed install. This time on a 2010 MacBook. The Yosemite roll out for me has been a disaster.