« AT&T Promo as of TodayAccount cancellation »
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 ... 24 · 25 · 26 · next
ggultra2764
join:2007-09-13
Cambridge, NY

ggultra2764 to localjoe

to localjoe

Re: New email from Millenicom Wow!

Metro PCS uses T-Mobile coverage. If you can get T-Mobile, would be a great offer to milk. However, I have nothing for T-Mobile here.
localjoe
join:2014-06-09

localjoe

yeah not for everyone have to check the coverage map »www.metropcs.com/coverage.html
RichA
join:2014-10-16

RichA

Yeah, too bad. Many of us who use/used Millenicom are either RVers or OTR truckers who need coverage in rural areas so we are almost forced to use Verizon as Verizon not only has the best LTE coverage but also the best coverage in rural areas especially out west.

Both T-Mobile and Sprint are awful for those "on the go" ...I know from experience.
masterdummy7
join:2014-10-18
USA

masterdummy7 to localjoe

to localjoe
For unlimited data plan, hotspot data is limited to 2.5GB per billing cycle.
»www.metropcs.com/add-on- ··· OT5.html
RichA
join:2014-10-16

RichA

Yup, I just noticed that too. It's definitely not an option for RVers or truckers that need a hotspot for their primary internet source.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned) to MoJoe7

to MoJoe7
if Verizon would just knock down that outrageous price of $15 per GB overage to $5, that would work for me

Brent
@108.59.1.x

Brent to MoJoe7

Anon

to MoJoe7
Wow. Got lucky with my timing. Just canceled my Millenicom account end of last month.

Took advantage of AT&T's data doubling offer. Was able to upgrade my Family Share Plan from 10Gb to 40Gb for only $50 more per month and then add a refurbished Netgear hotspot ($20 on eBay) for $20/mo.

So basically dropped 20Gb/mo Millenicom at $90/mo in favor of 40Gb/mo AT&T for $70/mo.

Double data is permanent until you change plans or change data limit. Only a good deal if you have your mobile phones in it, too. Here's the details if anyone is interested and if it hasn't already been discussed. Good through 10/31.
»www.att.com/shop/wireles ··· ans.html
GEvans
join:2009-11-18
Medina, NY

GEvans to MoJoe7

to MoJoe7
Just did a little browsing on the Sprint site. Apparently, according to the coverage map, Sprints 4G LTE is now available where I am. Current rate (limited offer) 30Gb for $110 (Plus all the damned taxes, fees, and other ridiculous BS...) :-/ Depending on what Verizon has to offer, at least it looks like an option for me anyway.

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose to ATB

to ATB
Yes, when another company acquires someone they buy everything, thus you have been purchased by Verizon. Just the same when a Bank is bought, you become part of the new bank.

Localjoe123
@70.210.161.x

Localjoe123 to RichA

Anon

to RichA
Hey guys after getting the email and reading everything here and doing some research i started to look at my options! I found Metropcs »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MetroPCS they offer unlimited data for 60$ a month plus 5$ hotspot fee so 65$ a month for unlimited data. I Jumped on it. I ordered the galaxy light for 49$ and will use the galaxy as the "jetpack" »www.metropcs.com/phones/ ··· 628.html

so you buy the phone for 49$ and the phone will become your new "jetpack" or device what ever you want to call it and 65$ a month for unlimited 4glte service!

I hope this will help some people out there!
taoman
Premium Member
join:2013-09-13
Seattle, WA

taoman to MoJoe7

Premium Member

to MoJoe7
I know nothing about Millenicom so forgive me if I'm way off here. But I'm surprised there isn't more talk of buying a grandfathered Verizon unlimited data plan and doing an AOL. I would look for them at Howardforums rather than eBay.
»www.howardforums.com/for ··· one-plan

1)Buy the cheapest used Verizon LTE phone you can find*
2)Buy a VZW UDP and do an AOL
3)After phone activation, remove SIM card and put it in your favorite Verizon approved hotspot device

Yes, you pay some upfront money but over time you will almost certainly save money and have unlimited data. And after the FCC Chairman slapped Verizon's hand they have backtracked on their plan to throttle UDP users.
»www.droid-life.com/2014/ ··· a-users/
said by Howardforums :

*You MUST provide your own 4G/LTE Verizon phone. The reason being is that during the AOL (Assumption of Liability) process, you may (will?) be asked to activate the line on a phone, so they're going to need your SIM serial/IMEI of device/etc.

whiteyonenh
join:2004-08-09
Keene, NH

whiteyonenh to localjoe

to localjoe
said by localjoe:

Hey guys after getting the email and reading everything here and doing some research i started to look at my options! I found Metropcs

Good luck, with metropcs you're subject to tmobile native coverage only, if that works for you, great, otherwise it's something to be aware of.
simpsomatt
join:2006-08-21
Paris, KY

simpsomatt to taoman

to taoman
If I try the technique suggested by Taoman, is there a chance that VZW will get pissed about using a SIM activated on a phone plan in a hotspot device and cancel the service, or force me into a hotspot plan?
ggultra2764
Cambridge, NY

ggultra2764

You are likely to get some sort of repercussions for it if VZW picks up on it. Unless you've got a smartphone that can tether or use as a mobile hotspot, I wouldn't risk it. I've heard of attempts by prepaid users on AT&T trying to abuse an unlimited data plan for basic phones by moving the SIM from a basic phone to a smartphone. Cases would vary from AT&T messing up service for the phone to complete termination of the mentioned accounts.
simpsomatt
join:2006-08-21
Paris, KY

simpsomatt to MoJoe7

to MoJoe7
In response to my own question, I did some searching. Although it seems a little shady to me, there are lots of anecdotal stories about people who did the swap with no problem. And some references to a blog entry which, although a couple of years old, contains a statement from VZW which seems to indicate that it's OK:

»www.phonenews.com/verizo ··· d-20053/
After several communications with Verizon’s press team, they did give us a truly straight-up answer… and here it is:

" The SIM holds the detail of your data plan. If you move it to another device, you will be charged for the service you use. If you have an unlimited SIM and it fits another device, you can use it and you will pay for the service plan associated with the SIM."

Even we were surprised by the clarity of Verizon’s confirmation. This means Verizon is well aware that they cannot touch your grandfathered smartphone data plan, just because you chose to move it to a LTE MiFi or LTE iPad (which also acts as a portable hotspot).
taoman
Premium Member
join:2013-09-13
Seattle, WA

taoman to simpsomatt

Premium Member

to simpsomatt
said by simpsomatt:

If I try the technique suggested by Taoman, is there a chance that VZW will get pissed about using a SIM activated on a phone plan in a hotspot device and cancel the service, or force me into a hotspot plan?

They can't. VZW users can freely move their 4G sim card to any Verizon 4G LTE device. This portability comes from Verizon's commitment to adhere to the 700MHz Upper C block's "open access" rules which means you can use any Verizon approved compatible device of your choice. Thousands of people have been doing this for a very long time....... myself included. I switch my sim between a Droid Maxx and a Cradlepoint router. I may not know about Millenicom but I do know about Verizon Wireless. But hey, don't take my word for it. Let's see what Verizon has to say on the matter:
said by VZW :

Can I use my Verizon Wireless 4G SIM in more than one device?

Yes; the Verizon Wireless 4G SIM card contains all of your subscriber information, so the SIM card is portable and can be used in any Verizon Wireless-certified 4G device. All usage will be billed to the account associated with the 4G SIM card.

said by VZW :

Can I use my Verizon Wireless 4G SIM card in a 4G LTE device not purchased from Verizon Wireless?

Yes. You may activate any 4G LTE device that has been certified by Verizon Wireless to be compatible with our 4G LTE network, including devices not purchased directly from Verizon Wireless. Simply activate your 4G SIM card on a Verizon Wireless price plan.

»www.verizonwireless.com/ ··· ard.html

Or just start reading in the Verizon forum on Howardforums. This would be a good place to start:
»www.howardforums.com/sho ··· Data-SIM
localjoe

3 edits

localjoe

i wonder if i don't order the 5$ hotspot fee from metro pcs and and tell them i want to keep my old number and give them the phone number on the jetpack and just use the sim card from metro pcs in the jetpack! would this give me unlimted data on pc? or somehow unlock the jetpack so it will work? maybe the since the jetpack came from millenicom it is unlocked already? there was a big sticker hiding the verizon logo!

»www.technomadia.com/2014 ··· mhs291l/

"International Roaming – In addition to supporting Verizon’s 3G and LTE networks, the MHS291L is “Global Ready” and also supports roaming onto many GSM/EDGE 2G, UMTS/HSPA 3G/4G, and LTE networks around the world. The device seems to not be SIM locked, allowing for this use with cheaper local data plans. Testing this, I was able to use a T-Mobile SIM and got online with a slow 2G connection here in Cedar Key. The MHS291 also recognized our AT&T iPad SIM, but this network connection was refused."

or maybe just use the sim in this »www.walmart.com/ip/T-Mob ··· 20976915

and somehow get unlimited data since mtropcs is on the TMobile network?

interesting forum here ------> »www.howardforums.com/sho ··· rd/page4
uptospeed
join:2012-10-28
North Collins, NY

uptospeed to MoJoe7

to MoJoe7
I hit the chat button on the verizon site last night and told them I need 20gig a month on a hotspot, they told me $120 a month. Overage is $10 per gig plus plus plus. I think I may go back to satelite, or cough up the $10,000 to have cable run. Should have did it 6 years ago. Problem is if I pay the $10,000 and my neigbours want cable they just pay the regular fees. Maybe time to sell and move closer to the city.
ggultra2764
Cambridge, NY

ggultra2764 to MoJoe7

to MoJoe7
Some more information regarding the ongoing issue with Millenicom accounts transferring over to Verizon:

»www.rvmobileinternet.com ··· options/
bcltoys
join:2008-07-21

bcltoys

Don't know about other's but I'm just going to wait and see what happen's.
ggultra2764
Cambridge, NY

ggultra2764

As I posted earlier, I'm in "wait and see" mode until next weekend to see what develops. If I get no word from Verizon by then, I'm planning to milk VZW's "double data" offer since I don't know what will happen with my Millenicom account after the end of the month if VZW doesn't contact me.
Lyserjic
join:2002-07-02
Houston, TX

Lyserjic

Glad I check the forum here every couple of days - wow, I had no idea any of this was going on. I have not received either email from Millenicom.

I did get the October 1 billing email from Millenicom just fine. Fortunately I have a local WISP I use as a secondary link. Speeds are nothing to brag about, but the data is unlimited and the connection is stable.

The VZW connection is used by my wife Mon-Fri for access to her work servers, fast connection required. If they raise the prices I don't have much choice but to eat it. Plus, I've got a substantial investment in VZ-only hardware with a Pepwave Max and associated antenna system.

Jack in VA
Premium Member
join:2014-07-07
North, VA

Jack in VA to MoJoe7

Premium Member

to MoJoe7
No contact from Verizon yet

diugo
join:2014-01-13
Yuma, AZ

diugo to bcltoys

to bcltoys
said by bcltoys:

Don't know about others but I'm just going to wait and see what happens.

I totally agree. If people are so excited about this October thing, just wait til December! And frankly, should my service suddenly end on November 1, I will just grin and bear not having to shell out the $90 a month.
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt to uptospeed

to uptospeed
said by uptospeed:

Problem is if I pay the $10,000 and my neigbours want cable they just pay the regular fees.

Check with the cable company to see if you can get a developers contract. Many service providers offer a contract to developers, paying the developer a portion of the installation fees each time a new customer signs up for service. How many potential customers would be served by the extension of the cable to your home? If the cable company does not offer a developers contract, offer to pay for the installation of the cable as long as the cable company signs an agreement drawn up by your attorney, that the cable is for your exclusive use. Check with the North Collins city government to see the terms and conditions of the cable company franchise agreement to see if it offers you any relief.
kevnich24
join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL

kevnich24 to MoJoe7

to MoJoe7
With Verizon's double data deal, I'm wondering if they have plans to now start offering better prices, long term. Verizon is all about the numbers of accounts and if Millenicom was a bulk account, they may have been in Verizon's system as a single account. Now Verizon wants the accounts in their system directly so they count as individual accounts and can probably now offer the same data package.

I have nothing to base this off of and is pure speculation but who knows.
ggultra2764
Cambridge, NY

ggultra2764 to MoJoe7

to MoJoe7
Just thought of a work-around to avoid being on a contract with VZW. They allow you to bring-your-own-device or pay full price for new devices when making an account with them. Do any of those and you won't be locked on a contract. If you go with the former option, you could get a used smartphone from online wiped of any account information from its prior owner and use that to count towards the "double data" promotion VZW is offering with their shared data plans right now.
mikeluscher159
join:2011-09-04

mikeluscher159 to MoJoe7

to MoJoe7
I find the biggest insult to be that none of the hotspot devices support AWS (XLTE)
Your almost all better off buying someones Unlimited Data plan, and porting it into a dedicated used Galaxy S4 or similar.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

the Pantech device Millenicom provided did support XLTE ..sadly Pantech went bankrupt and Millenicom is no longer in business.
localjoe

localjoe to mikeluscher159

to mikeluscher159
yes this is what i am looking to do, does anybody know about switching other company sims around? has anyone tried this before? I am pretty tech savvy and i am sure it is possible, all devices connect to a network, some networks has security and others do not! some networks have poor security and some have really great security! when i say all devices i mean all, cable modem connects to the network and does a exchange, dsl modems connect to a network and make a exchange, on dial up your phone modem connects to the network and so on! I know people where hacking cable modems all they would have to do is just plug in the modem and they were online without paying anybody for service! Sorry if this is getting way off topic but i am sure there is a way to configure a sim card to work on any network!

"International Roaming – In addition to supporting Verizon’s 3G and LTE networks, the MHS291L is “Global Ready” and also supports roaming onto many GSM/EDGE 2G, UMTS/HSPA 3G/4G, and LTE networks around the world. The device seems to not be SIM locked, allowing for this use with cheaper local data plans. Testing this, I was able to use a T-Mobile SIM and got online with a slow 2G connection here in Cedar Key. The MHS291 also recognized our AT&T iPad SIM, but this network connection was refused."

"The plan is TIED TO THE SIM CARD, NOT THE DEVICE on 4G!"

"The SIM holds the detail of your data plan. If you move it to another device, you will be charged for the service you use. If you have an unlimited SIM and it fits another device, you can use it and you will pay for the service plan associated with the SIM."

»www.howardforums.com/sho ··· Datacard

»www.technomadia.com/2014 ··· mhs291l/

»www.phonenews.com/verizo ··· d-20053/