Carolina West Wireless
Cellcom
Chariton Valley
Chat Mobility
Northwest Missouri
Pioneer Cellular
Strata Networks
Thumb Cellular"
.....none of these businesses could help your blight(s)?

I did a quick search and all of these I found have data plans that make Verizon look like a steal, even without double data.

The reality is, there is no way around the Verizon cellular internet monopoly in many rural areas.

I only have two distinct towers with two distinct options. US Cellular or Verizon. That's it and US Cellular isn't even trying to be competitive with data. All of the piggyback Verizon providers charge Verizon rates or higher.

No AT&T or T-Mobile or Sprint, etc. No DSL, WISP or neighbor with wifi. Satellite isn't an option as I need a low latency connection for work. I am basically at the mercy of Verizon to dictate terms.
kevnich24
join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL

kevnich24 to Sojourn

to Sojourn
Actually no - a verizon iphone 6/6 plus will actually work on ATT or Tmobile. ATT/Tmobile phones will not work, completely, on verizon, however. So it's actually preferred to buy a verizon phone so you have more compatibility.

I'm pretty sure by now this apple loophole is probably closed. This probably doubled if not tripled the number of unlimited data plans on verizon and they have no way of really doing anything with them once a contract is in place on the plan.
Brent5
join:2014-10-21

Brent5

said by kevnich24:

I'm pretty sure by now this apple loophole is probably closed. This probably doubled if not tripled the number of unlimited data plans on verizon and they have no way of really doing anything with them once a contract is in place on the plan.

FWIW, the general consensus (from what I've read) seems to be that Verizon can pull/revoke the new UDPs if they want. If they did, though, they would be required to release people from the two-year contract and waive the ETF.

So, if true, they either have to honor the UDF or write off the balance of all the subsidized phones purchased on the UDF plans.

Whole thing seems like a mess. So now getting a grandfathered UDP (assuming they are any safer than all these new ones) is more difficult because of all the new ones being dumped. Guess the easiest way to differentiate would be by the contract status?
Darlene7
join:2011-05-10

Darlene7 to MoJoe7

to MoJoe7
It's a good thing that I came to this forum today as I had NO idea about any of this! The last email that i got from millenicom, was my billing invoice at the beginning of this month. I went to the site to delete my cc info and sure enough, it says that my plan has been cancelled. I work from home so I don't know what I will do now. It would have been nice and Millenicom actually sent me the same email everyone else got
bcltoys
join:2008-07-21

bcltoys

I did not get that e-mail. I had to e-mail them when I found out.
ggultra2764
join:2007-09-13
Cambridge, NY

ggultra2764

I never got an e-mail from them until yesterday when I contacted them to see if it were still possible to add more data on my usage for the month on Friday upon learning of the news. I've noticed my plan is listed as being cancelled. As far as I know, our service is good for at least the rest of the month until VZW contacts any of us. Beyond that, can't say for certain what happens after November 1.
Darlene7
join:2011-05-10

Darlene7 to MoJoe7

to MoJoe7
I just heard back from them and they said that my service will still be active until Oct 31st. That doesn't give me much time at all to find a replacement. I don't know. I hope whatever verizon offers will be reasonable.
Brent5

3 edits

Brent5 to MoJoe7

to MoJoe7
More thoughts/info on the UDP option...

Based on what Sojourn posted and the info on MacRumors, I don't think anyone looking to get one of these new iPhone-loophole-generated UDPs should expect to pay the current owner anything. If I understand correctly, these new UDPs actually have negative value and are a burden to their current owners. They're getting subsidized iPhones and selling them full-price with the added UDP line an undesirable side-effect. Being under contract for that new UDP line eats into their profit from flipping the subsidized iPhone. So getting people to take the UDP plans off their hands and absorb the contract is increasing their profit and doing them a favor.

Here's a quote from a user on MacRumors that sums it up...
"So hopefully that is clear - the "industry" we all are engaged in here is flipping iPhones. People are now giving away UDP lines. The UDP lines are merely a vehicle to get an iPhone to flip. Ordinarily you couldn't get rid of a 2 year smartphone contract, but a UDP line still is valuable enough that someone would take the 2 year contract off of your hands for free."

Also thinking about the impact this may have on Verizon UDPs (old and new), if this glitch has resulted in a lot of new UDP plans being passed around, you know Verizon will redouble their efforts to find a way to shut down/throttle UDPs. They could, theoretically, even use this issue as a way to persuade the FCC to allow them to throttle. Their angle could be that, after this glitch, it would be unreasonable and even technically impossible for the FCC to expect them to continue allowing unthrottled UDPs with all these new ones now introduced into the mix.

For those considering, have seen people say that it's best to switch your UDP SIM back into a phone (rather than hotspot or USB modem) before calling into Verizon support for anything. They say that, since the UDP is a phone-specific plan, some CSRs will take the UDP away from you if they see you're using it on a non-phone device.
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt to MoJoe7

to MoJoe7
I hope Verizon does not pull an Amp'd Mobile on Millenicom subscribers. Amp'd Mobile was an MVNO that resold Verizon voice services up until July of 2007. What is not mentioned in the Wiki: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Am ··· d_Mobile is that after Amp'd was cut off, customers that asked Verizon to activate the Verizon compatible Motorola phones purchased from Amp'd Mobile on the Verizon network, they were refused. I get the feeling that Verizon might just cut all Millenicom customers on November 1.

Jack in VA
Premium Member
join:2014-07-07
North, VA

Jack in VA

Premium Member

Could be why there's been no contact from Verizon.
GEvans
join:2009-11-18
Medina, NY

GEvans to MoJoe7

to MoJoe7
To be honest, the whole thing smells fishy to me... It almost makes me wonder if Millenicom didn't just pull up run from the whole thing? Millenicom didn't notify all of the their customers, some received 1 email (myself included) some received a second email (I did not), and others haven't received any email at all?? No one has heard a word from Verizon..... How long could it possibly take for someone at Verizon to compile a list of Millenicom customer email addresses, and send out a brief bulk email saying to the affect, "Don't worry guys and gals!! We're here, we'll get to each of you as soon as we can." Millenicom's website is still up and running with the same offers listed as before - although trying to setup a new account no longer works. It just seems like if this was "legit" that Verizon and Millenicom would have created a transition plan. As it is, Millenicom could have just said, "Screw it, we're outta here - tell a few customers that Verizon is working on it so they can spread the word between themselves, and let's all head to the beach."

MINICUP28
@173.76.158.x

MINICUP28 to Mr Matt

Anon

to Mr Matt
I left Millenicom shortly after the rise in pricing. I went to a Verizon store to ask about when the SIM would be released and I could establish a new connection with Verizon. He made a call to a service center and told me "You don't want to reuse that SIM because of it's history" They gave me a new SIM, No contract, and it couldn't have worked out better, service wise. I never came close to the old 20 gig limit so I am paying the same amount for 8 gig. I have been getting better uninterrupted service, no unexplained outages, slowdowns etc.
Bosgarage57
join:2010-09-02
Sevierville, TN

Bosgarage57

I guess a lot of stuff is still up in the air, but I feel like it isn't on the Up and Up. I never received an email, and now I have 10 days to figure out a new solution. I currently have VZW cell service, maybe I can go home fusion. LTE Internet 20GB for $90.
steamfish
join:2013-06-10

steamfish to MoJoe7

to MoJoe7
Well I have VZ cellphones and a 10GB plan. According to their website I could up it to a 30GB plan for only another $30 a month which is a third of what I'm paying Millenicom for now! I guess I'm glad this is happening because it forced me to look and see what else is out there.

For that matter, I looked at the VZ UDP plans on eBay and decided to go that route. $40 to assume the account and $70 a month for cell/unlimited data. SIM card is gonna go into the millenicom mifi (after transferring it to my old Droid Razr.)

So far so good...
GEvans
join:2009-11-18
Medina, NY

GEvans to MoJoe7

to MoJoe7
Actually I just checked my Verizon account as well, currently I'm paying $50 for the "2Gb MORE everything unlimited talk and text plan", add to this the $40 line access for the phone, and another $11 in various taxes and surcharges, my monthly bill is $101.....

I can add a Jetpack for a one time fee of $49, upgrade to the "30 Gb MORE everything unlimited talk and text plan" for $130, there would then be an additional $20 line access charge for adding the Jetpack. So now my monthly bill should be $130 for the data, plus $40 for my cell phone line access, plus $20 for the Jetpack line access, plus maybe $22 in taxes now - so the bill should be around $212 per month - for BOTH my phone and the Jetpack. Which really isn't that bad. If I didn't go over for the month on Millenicom, I was paying $191 a month ($101 for the phone, and $90 to Millenicom) and that was just 20Gb of data; Now for an additional $21 (approximately) I can go from 20Gb on Millenicom to 30Gb on Verizon.
Sojourn
join:2009-12-31
Norman, OK

Sojourn to steamfish

to steamfish
said by steamfish:

Well I have VZ cellphones and a 10GB plan. According to their website I could up it to a 30GB plan for only another $30 a month which is a third of what I'm paying Millenicom for now! I guess I'm glad this is happening because it forced me to look and see what else is out there.

For that matter, I looked at the VZ UDP plans on eBay and decided to go that route. $40 to assume the account and $70 a month for cell/unlimited data. SIM card is gonna go into the millenicom mifi (after transferring it to my old Droid Razr.)

So far so good...

So you have already done this? Let us know if you run in to any problems.
Brent5

1 edit

Brent5

It sounds like the UDP AOL thing isn't anything new or unprecedented. My concern isn't so much how it's worked in the past (which seems to be "perfectly") but how it will work going forward...

It's basically doing something Verizon knows you're doing and doesn't want you to be doing but hasn't yet found a way to stop you from doing.

Edit for clarity: I meant that Verizon doesn't like UDPs and especially doesn't like them being activated on phones and then used in hotspots.

diugo
join:2014-01-13
Yuma, AZ

diugo to steamfish

to steamfish
said by steamfish:

SIM card is gonna go into the millenicom mifi (after transferring it to my old Droid Razr.)

Are you absolutely positive that you can take a smartphone SIM---one without the hotspot feature enabled---and stick it in a mifi device? That just sounds really iffy to me.
texan409
join:2014-02-22
Nederland, TX

texan409 to MoJoe7

to MoJoe7
yes it works, I have done it 8 months ago. Working perfectly fine. I don't know how long it will last but so far so good.
texan409

texan409 to Brent5

to Brent5
Brent, Verizon isn't the only one doing AOL.
T-mobil and AT&T also do AOL.
texan409

texan409 to diugo

to diugo
there are different sizes for sim cards so you will need different adapters. It depends on which device you go with. Sim adapters are also cheap like $2 or $3 on amazon. so do your homework before you buy the UDP. Because you have to have your device ready at the time of UDP.
bcltoys
join:2008-07-21

bcltoys to MoJoe7

to MoJoe7
Yup I'm starting to think we is all going to get the Axe.
Brent5

Brent5 to texan409

to texan409
said by texan409:

Brent, Verizon isn't the only one doing AOL.
T-mobil and AT&T also do AOL.

Yeah. Unfortunately Verizon is really the only one with UDPs worth doing an AOL to get.

To clarify, when I said about Verizon not wanting users to do it, I meant put the UDP with a hotspot. Should have been more clear on that.
Brent5

1 edit

Brent5 to texan409

to texan409
said by texan409:

yes it works, I have done it 8 months ago. Working perfectly fine. I don't know how long it will last but so far so good.

What really surprises me is that Verizon hasn't implemented a system like AT&T has where it uses the device IMEI and such to identify what type of device it is and adjust the features accordingly.

If I were to go into an AT&T store and add an iPad to my plan, for example, it would only be $10/mo. If I switched the SIM to an iPhone, their system would detect it and adjust my plan accordingly. They've had that for years.

I have both a AT&T Momentum USB stick and an AT&T Elevate hotspot. I switch the SIM back and forth based on needs, and my online account shows the appropriate picture for the device on the line within minutes of the swap.

That would allow them to technically say that customers can use the SIM in whatever device they want while preventing customers from using voice plans with hotspots (which is what's happening with the UDP SIM-swap thing).
birdwatcher5
join:2009-04-09
USA

birdwatcher5 to MoJoe7

to MoJoe7
What about wirelessnwifi? Has anyone looked into that option? Wonder if it runs off verizon
towers or sprint? I just wrote to them to see if they cover my area.
ggultra2764
join:2007-09-13
Cambridge, NY

ggultra2764

Wireless n Wifi runs off Sprint towers.
RichA
join:2014-10-16

RichA to birdwatcher5

to birdwatcher5
Wireless N' Wifi is definitely using Sprint. Let us know if they tell you differently.

The "4G Unlimited" option you see on their home page is for WiMax which Sprint is phasing out (correct?) and their WiMax coverage footprint is getting smaller everyday. Their package using 4G LTE is Sprint LTE with a total cap of 60GB and 30GB of 3G within that 60GB. A good deal if you are stationary and in a Sprint LTE coverage area.
mikeluscher159
join:2011-09-04

mikeluscher159

11/6/2015 is the shutdown date for WiMax, so that's out.
If your in a Band 25 area, and or Spark, Sprint would seem to be the next best option.
RichA
join:2014-10-16

RichA

LOL, thanks mikeluscher. I didn't know it was that soon.
birdwatcher5
join:2009-04-09
USA

birdwatcher5 to MoJoe7

to MoJoe7
Okay what about bmi.net? Shows verizon on their website.
« AT&T Promo as of TodayAccount cancellation »
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 ... 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 ... 24 · 25 · 26 · next