« AT&T Promo as of TodayAccount cancellation »
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 ... 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 12 · 13 · 14 ... 24 · 25 · 26 · next
Brent5
join:2014-10-21

Brent5 to michael60013

to michael60013

Re: New email from Millenicom Wow!

said by michael60013:

Sounds like maybe what Millenicom may have been doing? Doesn't seem like a long term solution.

Difference that could come into play, though, is that Millenicom apparently got permission to do it, first. The people on eBay are just auctioning off their personal contract lines that they can't get out from under.
Brent5

1 edit

Brent5 to OmegaWolf747

to OmegaWolf747
said by OmegaWolf747:

So I'd have to buy a new phone to get DDR? Really not looking forward to that. I still love my Galaxy S4.

I think MoJoe just meant that the plans eligible for the double-data promo can't be a single hotspot only. You have to have at least one phone and then add the hotspot as an additional device.

So, you would (theoretically) need to move your S4 to Verizon or AT&T or whichever carrier it supports where you wanted to get the double-data plan.

As an afterthought, does the S4 not have a built-in hotspot capability if you didn't want to pay extra for the additional device? Or do you need an external antenna setup or something that requires the JetPack?
Xtreme2damax
join:2007-03-21
Port Byron, NY

Xtreme2damax

I posted back quite a few pages as someone else stated almost the same thing. I have a single ZTE 890L hotspot without a phone and support was able to apply the double data promotion and upgrade my plan. I double checked with support that I will be getting the promotional price out of contract with my current device and they told me I would.

I think there may be some confusion or misinformation about the double data promotion for some odd reason.
sillyshydq
join:2012-05-15

sillyshydq to Sojourn

to Sojourn
Hi where on eBay did you find $97 plan? I tried looking on eBay and never found any looked for 2 months know.
Brent5

Brent5 to Xtreme2damax

to Xtreme2damax
said by Xtreme2damax:

I posted back quite a few pages as someone else stated almost the same thing. I have a single ZTE 890L hotspot without a phone and support was able to apply the double data promotion and upgrade my plan. I double checked with support that I will be getting the promotional price out of contract with my current device and they told me I would.

I think there may be some confusion or misinformation about the double data promotion for some odd reason.

Interesting. I had no idea. I misunderstood and thought the More Everything at Verizon and Mobile Share at AT&T were smartphone plans that you could add other devices to. The option of having them with just the hotspot is definitely something that will help some people here.
ggultra2764
join:2007-09-13
Cambridge, NY

ggultra2764 to Xtreme2damax

to Xtreme2damax
My understanding of the plan is that you are required to have at least one smartphone added to the plan in order to get the offer. Then you could have a hotspot and share the data between both devices.
Xtreme2damax
Port Byron, NY

Xtreme2damax

Apparently that isn't the case. However I was required to add a voice line with text but was able to do that with my current device to take advantage of the promotion. I won't be using voice or text and only needed the extra data since I live in a rural area.
Brent5

2 edits

Brent5

said by Xtreme2damax:

Apparently that isn't the case. I did have to add a voice line with text but was able to do that with my current device. I won't be using voice or text and only needed the extra data since I live in a rural area. Even though my bill will go up by $40 it's still a nice discount compared to what I'd pay without the promotion.

It's nice because the upgrade carries over afaik so if I wanted to upgrade to 60GB later on I could.

So it sounds like they just added the hotspot but set it up as a phone, then?

I'm also curious about your last comment about upgrading to 60Gb later. Both AT&T and Verizon say that the double data is a limited time promotion and that it won't be possible to choose the doubled plans after the promotion is over.

Did the person you worked with say you would be able to choose the doubled plans even after the promo period?

Also, just a general question for any Verizon users. On the More Everything plans, do you get the $25/line discount if you BYOD or only if you use the Edge program? AT&T gives the $25/line discount on Mobile Share for both BYOD and Next. So basically, AT&T gives you the discount as long as you don't subsidize. Is Verizon the same? Their website (Verizon) makes it sound as though the discount is only available with a new device through Edge.
Xtreme2damax
Port Byron, NY

Xtreme2damax

Yes that seems to be how they did it, simply added a voice line with text to my jetpack device so it's essentially a phone without phone features. I could send sms from my device which is nice since it's a pain to send them from my tracfone. I definitely won't be using the voice line on the device unless I decide to buy a phone which will likely never happen.

Someone in the Verizon section told me the promotional pricing carries over indefinitely after the upgrade is applied to my account. If I decide to upgrade in the future it will still be at the promotional price. I'll have to look into that to make sure it's 100% correct and if it applies to upgrades and downgrades.
Brent5

Brent5

said by Xtreme2damax:

Someone in the Verizon section told me the promotional pricing carries over indefinitely after the upgrade is applied to my account. If I decide to upgrade in the future it will still be at the promotional price. I'll have to look into that to make sure it's 100% correct and if it applies to upgrades and downgrades.

If true, then I'd say that's one place where Verizon has AT&T beat. AT&T says that the promotional plans would only be available to switch to through the end of October. When upgrading, they said that I would retain the doubled data amount as long as I didn't change to a different plan or different data allowance.
ggultra2764
Cambridge, NY

ggultra2764 to Xtreme2damax

to Xtreme2damax
So essentially if I were to say bring in my old Millenicom hotspot, I just have to add a voice/text plan to it and I would qualify for the offer?
Brent5

Brent5

said by ggultra2764:

So essentially if I were to say bring in my old Millenicom hotspot, I just have to add a voice/text plan to it and I would qualify for the offer?

Certainly sounds that way. Alternatively, you could probably just do what the people buying the UDP AOL plans are doing - sign up for the service using the IMEI and such from a smartphone and then move the SIM to the hotspot once it's all set up.
ggultra2764
Cambridge, NY

1 edit

ggultra2764

I'm not milking the UDP plans since I see VZW tweaking them down the road. However if this arrangement is true, then I could save on some money by not having to add a smartphone with the plan.

EDIT: Think I get how this option might be possible. Verizon allows you to swap SIM cards between compatible devices. If you added voice and text functionality to your account, this allows one to swap between a hotspot and smartphone, where charges get applied to your account depending on what device you have the SIM card in while accessing VZW's network. Something I never even thought of.
Brent5

1 edit

Brent5

said by ggultra2764:

I'm not milking the UDP plans since I see VZW tweaking them down the road. However if this arrangement is true, then I could save on some money by not having to add a smartphone with the plan.

I meant to get a More Everything plan with just one line for the hotspot.

I'm pretty sure that if you AOL somebody's UDP, you aren't required to have more than just the UDP line you're acquiring.
Brent5

Brent5 to ggultra2764

to ggultra2764
said by ggultra2764:

EDIT: Think I get how this option might be possible. Verizon allows you to swap SIM cards between compatible devices. If you added voice and text functionality to your account, this allows one to swap between a hotspot and smartphone, where charges get applied to your account depending on what device you have the SIM card in while accessing VZW's network. Something I never even thought of.

That's what people are doing with the UDPs they are buying. The UDP plans are smartphone-specific plans. So they have to be set up with a smartphone when received via AOL. Then once it's transferred, they put the SIM in a hotspot and just keep the smartphone UDP (i.e. 450 minutes, no text, unlimited data).

Apparently Verizon's system doesn't automatically adjust based on equipment because people have been doing this for a while without issues.
steamfish
join:2013-06-10

steamfish to diugo

to diugo
said by diugo:

Thanks Steamfish and Brent for the quick replies. Must feel awesome to have unlimited 4G data. I assume you are under some kind of obligation to pay the $70/mo until a certain date?

yep, assumed a 2 year contract, so I'm hoping this doesn't go south before then...
Brent5

Brent5

said by steamfish:

yep, assumed a 2 year contract, so I'm hoping this doesn't go south before then...

That's exactly what has me reluctant to go the UDP route. Two years will be a long time to be under contract if Verizon were to start throttling after 5Gb or something.

KennyWest
@98.28.97.x

KennyWest to Mr Matt

Anon

to Mr Matt
That was more than 3 years ago as PagePlus was doing this same thing a year ago and two years ago. PagePlus is also now TracFone.
sundrop74
join:2012-01-25

sundrop74 to MoJoe7

to MoJoe7
All of this has me so confused...
And I still haven't heard anything from VZW. Are we getting charged on 11/1?
ggultra2764
Cambridge, NY

ggultra2764

Millenicom isn't charging us for November since they no longer have our accounts. However unless VZW transfers the Millenicom accounts over by the start of November, we may have our service cut off unless we're over on VZW or another Internet provider by then.

diugo
join:2014-01-13
Yuma, AZ

1 edit

diugo

If I were a betting man, I bet Millenicom will manually cut off our service some time on Friday the 31st---more than a day early.

I also bet we'll see the double data deals return on Black Friday and last through Christmas. Maybe even sweeter, as competition heats up.
David_K
join:2014-05-02

David_K to birdwatcher5

to birdwatcher5
Where I'm from a standard landline will cost you around $40/month + the $10 or so for dialup. If you don't already have a landline in use you might as well go with a low data hotspot plan and save yourself the frustration of attempting to do *anything* online with dialup. I used dialup up until March of this year when I switched to Millenicom, I employed all sorts of tricks to get websites to load (many would just time out) such as using a mobile browser switcher in Firefox, adblock blocking most images, javascript disabled, a dedicated browser just for html+css pages.

Believe me, in this day and age the trouble of making dialup work just doesn't justify the low price.

Win7Geezer
@75.245.13.x

Win7Geezer to diugo

Anon

to diugo
Verizon was my arch enemy years ago, changing my account number and collecting several times under bankruptcy, and still selling that bogus account to a collection agency afterwards. I bought a Sprint LTE 4/G USB Modem with a clean esn on eBay, and I am going with BMI's Unlimited Plan (30 GB suggested) for a $50 set up fee, and $100 monthly. I have already cancelled my debit card that Millenicon was debiting.
rb5505
join:2013-02-06
united state

rb5505 to MoJoe7

to MoJoe7
What is the "AOL" that is mentioned so often?
Sojourn
join:2009-12-31
Norman, OK

Sojourn

said by rb5505:

What is the "AOL" that is mentioned so often?

Assumption of liability. Where you take over someone's phone plan and finish their contract for them.

UDP = unlimited data plan
Sojourn

Sojourn to steamfish

to steamfish

said by steamfish See Profile

I'm beginning to wish I had done this instead of the rental of UDP services. Others have brought up the legal issues, and now I'm thinking their could be privacy issues if the owner of the account can get access to my browsing information from Verizon since it his account. I might pull out. I would lose the $40 but that's it. I need to talk to the owner before starting and find out some more.

I'm your case, vzw has already backed down on throttling once. Maybe they will ultimately force UDP's to be on only the 4g network and block you from the emerging XLTE. That wouldn't be so bad.
rb5505
join:2013-02-06
united state

1 edit

rb5505 to MoJoe7

to MoJoe7
Delete
uptospeed
join:2012-10-28
North Collins, NY

uptospeed to MoJoe7

to MoJoe7
When iI did a chat with verizon they said the same deal that we have now would be $120 pus the taxes. So 30 bucks more a month for the same thing we have now - plus taxes and fees. Not many options. Moving sims from a iphone to a hotspot is a IOS8 bug that I'm sure verizon and apple will stop in the near future. Sounds like a good deal but I've been screwed by a few of these things in the past. Waiting for another site survey from cable this week, hopefully I get a better deal than $10,000 to run the cable. 200 tv channels, unlimited internet, 50 down, and phone for $89 a month seems to good to be true.
Sojourn
join:2009-12-31
Norman, OK

1 edit

Sojourn

said by uptospeed:

When iI did a chat with verizon they said the same deal that we have now would be $120 pus the taxes. So 30 bucks more a month for the same thing we have now - plus taxes and fees. Not many options.

The double data promotion Verizon is doing now would be better than that. You need a Verizon smartphone to activate and have to get phone plan according to my understanding. But 40gb right now is $150 + cheapest phone plan $50. So that's $200 +taxes which is not much more than what 40gb cost at Millenicom.

»www.cnet.com/news/verizo ··· omotion/
"Verizon boosted the amount of data from 12 gigabytes to 15GB under its $110 plan, the cheapest plan affected by the promotion. Its $130 plan jumps from 16GB to 30GB, while the amount of data doubles from the next tier on, with the $150 plan bumping up from 20GB to 40GB, all the way up to the $375 plan, which swells from 50GB to 100GB."

RonRoot
@184.216.127.x

RonRoot to Win7Geezer

Anon

to Win7Geezer
said by Win7Geezer :

I bought a Sprint LTE 4/G USB Modem with a clean esn on eBay, and I am going with BMI's Unlimited Plan (30 GB suggested) for a $50 set up fee, and $100 monthly.

If you have Sprint service in your area, why would you do that when you can get a better deal from WirelessNWifi?
« AT&T Promo as of TodayAccount cancellation »
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 ... 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 12 · 13 · 14 ... 24 · 25 · 26 · next