Premium Member
join:2014-07-07
North, VA

Jack in VA to Jim_in_VA

Premium Member

to Jim_in_VA

Re: New email from Millenicom Wow!

said by Jim_in_VA:

get that group of neighbors you have down there and petition Metrocast to wire the neighborhood

Probably not enough willing to sign up. Less than 10 full time residents.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

that is enough to get it done
travis5379
join:2005-03-28
Moscow, ID

travis5379 to MoJoe7

to MoJoe7
What about this?

»www.att.com/cellphones/a ··· ink=tab2

diugo
join:2014-01-13
Yuma, AZ

diugo to RichA

to RichA
said by RichA:

I wanted to delete my credit card information ...you know, just in case.

Word to the wise, a user in another forum did just that---and shortly after, his service was mysteriously terminated, with Millenicom disavowing all knowledge of it. The user had to call Verizon and reestablish service.

So maybe best to wait until later in the month?
ggultra2764
join:2007-09-13
Cambridge, NY

ggultra2764 to diugo

to diugo
Seeing a number of them offering unlimited 3G/ 4G plans for either hotspots or smartphones with a monthly rate that is paid off on Paypal or go through some sort of agreement that leads transfer of responsibility for the owner's contract to you for the plan.
RichA
join:2014-10-16

1 edit

RichA to diugo

to diugo
yeah, I thought about that but since we are prepaying at Millenicom, I just figured I have already paid for this month's service so why should they need a credit card number on file. I just don't want to get double-billed next month (Verizon and Millenicom) and thought perhaps by not having a credit card on file at Millenicom that I could avoid a potential hassle ...especially if somebody at Millenicom turns out to be unscrupulous as they go out of business.

Thanks, diugo. I think you're right, it's probably better to get what I paid for without a hassle than to worry about somebody using my credit card next month for illicit purposes. I will try to re-enter a credit card number ...if I can still get into my account. That was another worry --that I wouldn't be able to log into my account again so I wanted to get my credit card information out of there while I still had a chance.

ETA: Their site is back up so I'm not as panicked about losing the ability to get into my account as I was initially.

diugo
Yuma, AZ

1 edit

diugo

I don't think Millenicom stores your actual CC number---for the very reason you stated. Just the last 4 digits. The rest of the number is encrypted and only the CC processor has access to it.

So my principal concern would be the aforementioned "mysterious early account termination" with no practical recourse available.

ETA: So when (if!) VZW contacts you (or vice versa) you will undoubtedly have to re-enter your CC number at the Verizon site. I have very little confidence that our cards will be seamlessly auto-billed. I suspect anyone not formally establishing service directly with VZW by Halloween, will see a spooky disruption akin to the Sprint debacle a year ago. That's my theory and I am sticking to it!
Bigglesworth
join:2011-02-22
Santa Barbara, CA

Bigglesworth to MoJoe7

to MoJoe7
Over the last year they turned to complete shit. I hope those in charge and many (no all) of the workers see min wage the rest of their lives. Assholes tried to, twice, charge me $100s to buy a new USB 3G device and plan to make up for their own stupidity and ineptitude. "Oh you're device doesn't work? What? Youre trying to explain it to me? No no Sir its a dead device you will need to buy a new one at full price and a new plan with activation fees" .. Fuck you dicks. I finally found a way to fix my device, and in a way that really made me suspicious of how it was "broken" in the first place. I think im better off with Verizon. The Millinicom of 2+ years ago dies many months ago; not tonight.

/vent
revansCAAD8
join:2014-10-17
USA

revansCAAD8 to MoJoe7

to MoJoe7
Just lovely :-(
So can we take/use our current Mifi 4620LE or UML290 somewhere else other than Verizon if they don't offer us a decent deal?

In May my wife & I switched to Verizon for our cell service (4Gig plan) using new Galaxy Note 3's. So we have had a total of 24Gig (20G Millenicom; 4G VZ) available data. Do I understand correctly the new VZ October Double Data plans (20/40G) wouldn't apply to us unless we add another new smartphone?(not going to happen since we're already spending too much !#@^!@#!) Then another fee to use the Mifi on it?

Thanks for any help,
Robert

diugo
Yuma, AZ

2 edits

diugo

said by revansCAAD8:

Do I understand correctly the new VZ October Double Data plans (20/40G) wouldn't apply to us unless we add another new smartphone?

I would think you would be able to upgrade your current contract. You would then pay $15 for each phone plus $20 for the 4620LE plus $130 for 30GB of data shared between all three devices. Total bill $180/month (plus Edge cost, taxes and surcharges).
David_K
join:2014-05-02

1 edit

David_K

Click for full size
If you think Verizon has anything remotely reasonable to offer the Millenicom demographic, forget it.

I don't exactly have superb credit either and the technological landscape can change drastically in 2 years so no way am I getting wrangled into that.
RichA

RichA to bcltoys

to bcltoys
I understand that you guys are bantering about Verizon's contracted hotspot plans, correct? I'd prefer to be on Verizon's Prepaid hotspot plan but it appears they only have three options:

$15/week for 250MB
$60/month for 3GB
or
$90/month for 10GB

»www.verizonwireless.com/ ··· jetpack/

...and it says "no overage charges" so I'm to assume that once 10GB is reached service stops and there is no other option to sustain service??

Am I interpreting that correctly? ...though I shouldn't even be contemplating alternatives yet until we see what Verizon is going to offer former Millenicom customers.

video6
Still Browsing Through Purgatory
Premium Member
join:2005-11-27
Newburg, MD

1 edit

video6

Premium Member

Yesterday morning I woke up to find my MacBook Pro downloaded the new OS, over 5 GB, I asked Millenicom online for another 20GB to get me through the month. No answer back so my wife called and got through to someone who told her the news. He said someone from Verizon would be contacting us soon to give us our option(s). My wife said the Millenicom rep gave her this link;

»www.verizonwireless.com/ ··· stalled/

I'm wondering if this is what will be offered?

Correction; My wife told me this morning the above plan was not suggested by the Millenicom rep instead she found it on a search.
bcltoys
join:2008-07-21

bcltoys

I'm in extended coverage area Verizon would not even come out to check thing's out.

OmegaWolf747
Vive la revolucion
join:2009-02-08
Royal Oak, MI

1 edit

OmegaWolf747 to swintec

to swintec
Because VZW bullied Mcom into giving us to them.

At any rate, would the best course of action be to wait to hear from Mcom and VZW or to just take my device to the VZW store and get it activated on my phone account? I want to do this before the double data rate offer ends.

Thank you.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by OmegaWolf747:

Because VZW bullied Mcom into giving us to them.

In what way? Was there a public fight played out somewhere? As Millenicom users I have to think they were free to take you to whatever cell provider they wanted or could strike a deal with. I suppose Sprint was out due to burned bridges? That left T-Mobile and AT&T I guess with the former not being that good to begin with especially for rural users. Possibly there was simply no available option for Millenicom to pursue with their users.

Are there even any Verizon MVNO data providers left or maybe this type of program was discontinued?

OmegaWolf747
Vive la revolucion
join:2009-02-08
Royal Oak, MI

OmegaWolf747 to MoJoe7

to MoJoe7
It's obvious VZW was bullying Mcom. Remember this past summer when VZW made Mcom raise their monthly fee?
simpsomatt
join:2006-08-21
Paris, KY

simpsomatt to travis5379

to travis5379
The ATT plan Travis posted looks promising. I had looked at it previously, but didn't want to pay $20/month for a home phone I don't need. But now that it looks like I'm probably going to end up paying more for whatever I get, this might be the lesser evil. Especially since I think it will get the same 15% discount via my former employer that I get on my ATT cellphone. So that brings the price for 20GB plus a phone line down to not much more than I was paying Mcom for 20GB, although the BS taxes/fees will probably bump that up.
bacchus101
join:2007-02-09
USA

1 edit

bacchus101 to MoJoe7

to MoJoe7
I took a lot of heat when I said that Millenicom would be out of business in 6 months.

I'll accept those apologies now!

I was wondering why Millenicom would not charge my card for additional data.
ggultra2764
Cambridge, NY

ggultra2764

Again, I think this had more to do with Millenicom not having a means of selling hotspots for new customers with Pantech going belly up.

Tttttttttt
@199.47.65.x

Tttttttttt to MoJoe7

Anon

to MoJoe7
Doesn't help for portable use or non-4g areas, but »www.verizonwireless.com/ ··· stalled/. Some will have more taxes, but option at least, if it hasn't been mentioned.

KennyWest
@98.28.97.x

KennyWest to ATB

Anon

to ATB
It is legal. They are purchasing your account, the same as any other company can do so. Also MCom is only a reseller. They found that it's not cost affective to sell on the VZW network.

Also the CPUC can't do anything about this and the FCC doesn't really have any grounds. MCom could just up and shut all of the services off but instead VZW will put you on a contract service now. Be ready for higher bills with VZW

eng645
@75.242.41.x

eng645

Anon

I was looking on the Verizon site and the (LTE) Wifi device would be $20.00 access fee and $70.00 for 4 gigs of data plus taxes. Wow that is pricey!
ggultra2764
Cambridge, NY

ggultra2764

That is for smartphone plans. 4 GB with VZW would be $30, plus $20 for access fee with the hotspot. Getting an equivalent 20 GB plan of what we got from Millenicom would be $130 before taxes and surcharges are tacked on.
David_K
join:2014-05-02

David_K to Tttttttttt

to Tttttttttt
I haven't been this fustrated since I abandoned dialup.

Verizon can't be upfront on the price with *anything*. Want LTE internet for your home?

Enter your street address, find a Verizon store, call the Verizon store because they might not sell Home LTE, travel 48 miles out of my way to the store, make appointment to have strangers enter my house because I can't be trusted to install it myself, sign a 2 year contract......

Can't even use their bloated site in Firefox because they use so many 3rd party scripts that are blocked by my addons, just a headache.

You can't sign up for anything online ffs! Why? I'm expected to travel 48 miles to the nearest Verizon store in a city I never visit.

They won't show you anything until you put in your street address and their coverage tool is so inaccurate that I've been told I'm eligible for Fios when It's abundantly clear that I'm not.

Looks like this relationship is off to a bad start.
ggultra2764
Cambridge, NY

ggultra2764 to MoJoe7

to MoJoe7
I guess I'll wait and see what Verizon offers for now since the hotspot should at least be good for the remainder of this month. Worst case scenario: if I hear nothing from them by next weekend or I'm not satisfied with what they offer, might as well hit up a Verizon store and milk their current "double data" offer for a new smartphone and hotspot. My AT&T phone's prepaid, so I can either ditch my account or sell the phone to someone else without worrying about termination fees.
simpsomatt
join:2006-08-21
Paris, KY

simpsomatt to MoJoe7

to MoJoe7
It obviously makes sense to see what Verizon offers. Although I'm not optimistic, there's a slight chance they'll grandfather our existing rates. In any case, whatever they end up offering will be one of several alternatives to evaluate. I'm in an area where the only available services are AT&T and Verizon. The Sprint coverage map shows me just outside LTE service area, and those maps are usually optimistic.

I did some digging, and it looks like my 15% AT&T discount probably won't apply to the "Home Phone" plan. That seems to be marketed in a different category than "wireless data" plans.

My existing AT&T cell contract expires 10/27. I'd been planning to renew it with a new iPhone 6. Now I need to figure out whether I need to keep the cell plan and get some kind of mobile broadband plan, or combine them in some kind of shared plan from ATT or VZW.

My cell plan is kind of weird .. it's a really old grandfather plan, 100 minutes talk, no text, unlimited data for about $45/month ($15 voice + $30 data +$1-2 for a few texts -15% discount + fees/taxes = about $45). Sounds kind of limited, but it suits my needs, and includes subsidized phone prices. I'd like to keep my unlimited data, but realistically, I use about 5 GB/month on the phone. So my real goal is to find a total about 25-30 GB split between hotspot and phone, plus some voice, for a total that's as close as possible to the ~$135 I'm paying now for the ATT/Mcom combination of accounts.

Some of the deals being offered by both ATT and Verizon have a 10/31 deadline, so I may not have a whole lot of breathing room between my contract expiration and getting new service, if I need to ditch the existing cell plan for a new shared one.
RichA

RichA to Jack in VA

to Jack in VA
That $58/month unlimited is for WiMax and not LTE, correct? No use spending even $58/month when Sprint is going to phase out WiMax eventually ...and the WiMax coverage footprint is substantially smaller than their LTE.

It appears that Wireless N WiFi's LTE is $89.99/month for 60GB on Sprint LTE.
localjoe
join:2014-06-09

localjoe

Hey guys after getting the email and reading everything here and doing some research i started to look at my options! I found Metropcs »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MetroPCS they offer unlimited data for 60$ a month plus 5$ hotspot fee so 65$ a month for unlimited data. I Jumped on it. I ordered the galaxy light for 49$ and will use the galaxy as the "jetpack" »www.metropcs.com/phones/ ··· 628.html

so you buy the phone for 49$ and the phone will become your new "jetpack" or device what ever you want to call it and 65$ a month for unlimited 4glte service!

I hope this will help some people out there! EDIT this is also a no contract deal so your not getting locked into a 2 year agreement!

the phone might show the price of 149$ but when you click add to cart the price is 49$ because of a instant -100$ online discount
localjoe

localjoe

edit the phone says 149$ but when you add to cart the price drops to 49$ because of a online instant discount! -100$