spc
Search similar:

uniqs
gs0b
join:2014-08-14
Bucks, PA

gs0b

Actiontec MI424WR Firmware Version 40.21.18

My MI424WR-GEN3I router was upgraded with version 40.21.18 a day or so ago. Any have any idea what was changed?

bluepoint
join:2001-03-24

bluepoint

Is this a Rev. I?
gs0b
Bucks, PA

gs0b

Yes, "GEN3I".

bluepoint

bluepoint

Okay, it has not pushed here yet. Thanks.
mark_e
join:2009-03-09
Columbia, MD

1 recommendation

mark_e to gs0b

to gs0b
Click for full size
Log shows a reboot overnight on 10/15.

Screenshot of details attached.

I noticed an IPv6 configuration control page on the advanced settings page.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

1 recommendation

sivran

Premium Member

I don't seem to have the update yet, and the IPv6 page is present on mine. 40.21.10.3
mark_e
Columbia, MD

1 recommendation

mark_e

said by sivran:

the IPv6 page is present on mine. 40.21.10.3

OK, hadn't noticed it before, thanks!

bluepoint

1 recommendation

bluepoint to sivran

to sivran
Yes, IPv6 has been there since Verizon gave me this router. There seems other hardware revisions in Rev. I routers. For example mark_e See Profile hardware revision is 5A according to his post. Mine is hardware Version is I, it's possible the firmware is not for our hardware. Normally, checking the firmware manually will pickup the new firmware but this one doesn't show.

Mark, is that pic you posted copied from the Actiontec's GUI?
mark_e
Columbia, MD

mark_e

said by bluepoint:

Mark, is that pic you posted copied from the Actiontec's GUI?

Yes, got that screen by clicking on the number displayed next to current version on the upgrade screen. Also shows the WAN MAC, which I clipped.

bluepoint

bluepoint

Ah, now I see and from that page it says my hardware version is also 5A. Forget what I posted above then, we have the same hardware. Maybe, V just haven't push it yet in VH05. Thanks.
Another question mark, do you have TV service and if yes, did you have IMG 1.9.7?
dewdude
pfSense on xcp-ng Asterisk geek
join:2010-03-27
Manassas, VA
·voip.ms
(Software) pfSense
(Software) DD-WRT

dewdude to gs0b

to gs0b
I don't know if Verizon is pushing the updates that way or not. I'm also in VHO5 with a Gen3I Hardware Revision 5a, got IMG 1.9.7 the other day...checking for upgrade tells me I'm current on 40.21.10.3. Maybe Verizon is pushing these out outside of Actiontec...but why would Actiontec be holding it back?

40.21.18 is from June...why is it just now hardware is getting it? Why is it some people are getting it but not others?

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran

Premium Member

Ever worked in Enterprise IT?

That's why.

Besides... sometimes newer isn't better.
BobJustBob
join:2014-03-04

BobJustBob to gs0b

to gs0b
Hi folks,

Sometime Wednesday night my router malfunctioned. It is unable to establish the LAN over Coax. The LAN Coax light is no longer lit. It is an Actiontec rev I router. All other functionality is normal: I can connect a computer directly to the router using one of the Ethernet ports and get a signal; I can connect via wireless. The most serious consequence of this is that I have FIOS TV and thus have lost the Guide and all other functionality which requires an Internet data signal over my coax wiring.

Now that I see this discussion topic I am wondering if it was this firmware update which caused the problem? Any thoughts as to this possibility? I contacted the Verizon Service Desk and the technician tried a couple of things at his end, and then had me (1) power-off, and then power-on the router, and when that had no effect, he had me (2) press the Reset button to reset the router to its default specs. Neither of these actions solved the problem. I ended up making an appointment to have a tech make a service call. Can anyone make any recommendations as to anything I can be checking in the meantime? Thanks.

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave

MVM

Well what firmware version is your router currently on?
gs0b
Bucks, PA

gs0b to BobJustBob

to BobJustBob
said by BobJustBob:

Sometime Wednesday night my router malfunctioned.

I'd be surprised if it was related to the upgrade. I've had no problems since the upgrade, I just happened to notice it due to a post on the Verizon forums. I have MoCa WAN, STB's on MoCa, lots of WiFi devices and lots of hardwire devices through a 1Gbps Ethernet switch.

You should check your current firmware version to see if you even have the upgrade. If you do, you can check the log to find out when it was installed.

If this isn't related to the upgrade, you may want to start a new thread.

I am curious as to what changed with this upgraded, thus my creation of this thread. So far, nobody has been able to pin down any specific changes.

Good Luck.

Lex Luthor
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Hicksville, NY

Lex Luthor to gs0b

Mod

to gs0b
Tried clicking check now and says my 40.21.10.3 is still the latest.

Lt Belspur
join:2003-11-15
Sarasota, FL

Lt Belspur to gs0b

to gs0b
Can anybody check with the new firmware if the Dynamic DNS issue has been resolved?

Thanks,
gs0b
Bucks, PA

gs0b

Click for full size
The hidden UPnP page seems to have changed. This might have happened before this release, but I'm not sure.

»192.168.1.1/index.cgi?ac ··· page=900

bluepoint

bluepoint

UPnP has been like that since I have this router. Can you check please what the MOCA version is in the new firmware? Thanks.
gs0b
Bucks, PA

gs0b

I'd be happy to. But I'm not sure which screen you want as I don't see MoCa version listed anywhere. Let me know what screen you want to see and I'll post it.

Enjoy.

smackldog
@71.178.214.x

smackldog to Lt Belspur

Anon

to Lt Belspur
said by Lt Belspur:

Can anybody check with the new firmware if the Dynamic DNS issue has been resolved?

Thanks,

This post on Verizon's forum would indicate that the new firmware fixed the Dynamic DNS issue:

»forums.verizon.com/t5/Fi ··· e#M51580

Lt Belspur
join:2003-11-15
Sarasota, FL

Lt Belspur

Thanks, I hope it rolls out soon. Manual upgrade still shows the old version.

bluepoint

bluepoint to gs0b

to gs0b
said by gs0b:

I'd be happy to. But I'm not sure which screen you want as I don't see MoCa version listed anywhere. Let me know what screen you want to see and I'll post it.

Enjoy.

My Network, from one of the STB entry, there is a link that says "MOCA diagnostics information", click that. From the diagnostic page, look at the "current running MOCA standard".

tito79
join:2010-03-14
Port Saint Lucie, FL

tito79

it improved my wifi no need for my netgear n router anymore
gs0b
Bucks, PA

1 recommendation

gs0b to bluepoint

to bluepoint
said by bluepoint:

From the diagnostic page, look at the "current running MOCA standard".

It's MoCA 1.1, Driver 1.8.2.21

I wouldn't expect a change in the MoCA version with a firmware upgrade, as it's hardware dependent. Can't go to MoCA 2.0 with the MoCA chips that are in this router. If that's what your after, you'll want the new router.

Good Luck.

bluepoint

bluepoint

I thought I read somewhere that the Rev. I is MOCA upgradable. Anyways, thanks for the info.
BobJustBob
join:2014-03-04

BobJustBob to gs0b

to gs0b
Here's an update on the problem with my LAN. When I got home from work this afternoon, I found a message on my answering machine from Verizon Tech Support. They stated they had taken further unspecified actions which they believed had resolved my issue. They advised me to reboot my router. So I rebooted my router (powered it off, then on), and I also did the same to both of my STB's. This seemed to fix the problem. When the router came back up, the LAN Coax light was lit this time, and all the devices connected to my coax LAN are now getting an Internet data signal.

By the way, I checked my router's log and saw that it did get the firmware update to 40.21.18. This took place overnight from 10/14/14 to 10/15/14, roughly 24 hours before the problem with my router occurred. Was the problem related to the firmware upgrade? I guess only a Verizon software engineer could say for certain, but I remain suspicious, since I had not had any kind of problem with the router before this.

bluepoint

bluepoint

said by BobJustBob:

By the way, I checked my router's log and saw that it did get the firmware update to 40.21.18. This took place overnight from 10/14/14 to 10/15/14, roughly 24 hours before the problem with my router occurred. Was the problem related to the firmware upgrade? I guess only a Verizon software engineer could say for certain, but I remain suspicious, since I had not had any kind of problem with the router before this.

It's probably not related to the firmware upgrade if the upgrade happened 24 hours before the problem started.. Did you have an update with the STB's IMG to 1.9.7 around the time you have the problem? One of the workaround if the IMG update didn't go smoothly is to power the STB off/on to recover. Could it be what happened?

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to sivran

to sivran
said by sivran:

Ever worked in Enterprise IT?

Yes.
Mike Wolf

Mike Wolf to gs0b

to gs0b
said by gs0b:

said by bluepoint:

From the diagnostic page, look at the "current running MOCA standard".

It's MoCA 1.1, Driver 1.8.2.21

I wouldn't expect a change in the MoCA version with a firmware upgrade, as it's hardware dependent. Can't go to MoCA 2.0 with the MoCA chips that are in this router. If that's what your after, you'll want the new router.

Good Luck.

Really good router I hear. »Quantum Gateway Router