Search similar:

uniqs

just lou
join:2008-05-16
Staten Island, NY

just lou to gs0b

to gs0b

Re: Actiontec MI424WR Firmware Version 40.21.18

I just checked my firmware again, and it updated to 40.21.18 sometime today.
mikeluscher159
join:2011-09-04

mikeluscher159 to gs0b

to gs0b
Hmm. Finally got it in VHO-5 in SI.
dlc47
join:2014-10-30
Montgomery Village, MD

dlc47 to sivran

to sivran
Are you saying they know which customers are professionals and quietly use them as beta sites? Yes, mine is at 21.18 and I am a long-time IT pro.
gadgetboyj
Premium Member
join:2009-08-25
Staten Island, NY

gadgetboyj

Premium Member

He was answering "40.21.18 is from June...why is it just now hardware is getting it?". He meant the reason it took so long to reach hardware publicly was because it had to be tested internally first to ensure it wouldn't cause any issues when it went live.
dlc47
join:2014-10-30
Montgomery Village, MD

dlc47

But it isn't available yet from Actiontec, so isn't it still beta? I'm confused.

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave

MVM

Verizon pushes new firmware internally before Actiontec hosts it on their upgrade servers.
qwert9999
join:2001-06-27
Port Richey, FL

qwert9999 to gs0b

to gs0b
i got the update on the oct 27th. i have updates disabled but it must be the 2nd one that has been pushed since i got the rev I.

the router ran great for about a year and then it started to reboot every day. i was thinking it must of been a update or something because nothing changed on my end. since the last update i lost internet and had to manually reboot it. then a day or 2 later it rebooted while i was watching a movie. i have up time of 92 hours so it's better then the last update. but not stable like the firmware it came with.

anyone else still having problems too?
gs0b
join:2014-08-14
Bucks, PA

gs0b

said by qwert9999:

anyone else still having problems too?

I've never had router random reboot issues with the current or older firmware. I've had it for years. I suspect a problem specific to your router. You might want to call Verizon and get it replaced or buy a new one from the Verizon teleproducts web page or eBay.

I've still yet to find any description of what the latest firmware does differently. If anyone has found any details, please share!

Good Luck.
agoldhammer
join:2007-01-06
Bethesda, MD

agoldhammer to gs0b

to gs0b
I just got a new MI424WR yesterday as the old router was getting a little flaky. I checked the firmware and it is the latest version. My question is whether I should change the firmware settings to allow automatic upgrades. This was not enabled on the old router (I checked) and there are two options for upgrades: allow automatic upgrades or be notified by e-mail about a new upgrade. Don't know if this is really mission critical or not.

TIA

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612

MVM

Verizon should be pushing updates to the routers automatically when they are available, IIRC.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to agoldhammer

to agoldhammer
In my and others experience, sometimes Verizon just overrides that setting and pushes it through anyway. As an I.T. pro I'd always recommend turning off automatic updates for networking equipment (or any equipment for that matter) until you know what new headaches it itself could bring and you can make an informed decision if the update is right for you.
mikeluscher159
join:2011-09-04

mikeluscher159 to gs0b

to gs0b
Has anyone else not been able to enable WiFi's performance mode since the update?

Lt Belspur
join:2003-11-15
Sarasota, FL

Lt Belspur to gs0b

to gs0b
No Problems here.

You might want to hard reset the router.

Write down any custom configs as they will get erased.
HoundNJ
join:2010-10-08
Denville, NJ

HoundNJ to mikeluscher159

to mikeluscher159
Just checked my Router. Its still in performance mode after the upgrade too.
plomaris
join:2014-11-13
Woodstock, GA

plomaris to gs0b

to gs0b
Does anyone have the URL for the direct download link for this firmware? I'm not on Verizon but using my routers as MoCA bridges.

Thanks.

Tom

bluepoint
join:2001-03-24

1 recommendation

bluepoint

Verizon does not allow the firmware to be downloaded from their server without the authorized credentials, they push the firmware instead. Your best bet is to wait for Actiontec to put it in their public servers.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

That's weird because I have the router for troubleshooting purposes, am on Comcast, and get the updates when I hook it up as primary and check for the update inside the GUI.

bluepoint

3 edits

bluepoint

Click for full size
Have you tried it with this one? If I do that it finds the previous firmware, the latest firmware is not yet in the Actiontec server that the GUI points to. I don't know, something has changed before you were right the Actiontec server is always updated that you were able to get it from there but now it looks like verizon wanted control when to release the firmware.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Actually I just tried after seeing your post and low and behold now it's saying I have the latest version but I'm at 40.21.10.3 which has surprised me. I tried a few weeks ago when the update was first announced but figured it didn't get rolled out to my area yet. Oh well.

bluepoint

bluepoint

That's the difference between you and us. Verizon can push the firmware to us. The GUI used to be another option to update whenever there is a new one but this time it's not there. At a later date, maybe, Actiontec will upload the new firmware to their server after all VHO's are done.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf

Maybe. It's just weird because I remember being able to update to the new firmware right after an announcement on here, although I'm not sure of the exact timeframe. It's useful so I can do testing on IPv6 support, compatibility, and functionality as well as MoCA training for techs.

bluepoint

bluepoint

The one that you have is the last firmware that was available from the GUI right after the announcement. Something happened between that firmware and the latest, either Actiontec doesn't care now since Verizon went another direction or Verizon wants a controlled release from here on or someone from Actiontec is half asleep.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf

No problem. From what I'm gathering the current firmware I'm running works good with IPv6 although the GUI still is buggy. It accepts and passes along IPv6 so all my devices can obtain it and use it, but the GUI itself says "unavailable" or is blank in the areas where it would show the IPv6 address.