All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Rawrzy
join:2005-08-17
Canada

Rawrzy

Shaw traffic shaping/throttling on downloads?

I'm on 25Mbps and noticed in the past few days that I've been getting less than stellar speeds. Usually it goes between 25-30Mbps (speedboost) on downloads but lately since the past couple of days or so it's been doing 17-20Mbps so something must be up. Wondering if anyone in the BC area is also getting this problem when doing downloads.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

No shaping on downloads, could be a change in signal strength or quality, or congestion in your area.

Which modem do you have? If you are using a SB51xx modem, try to see if you can get the DPC3825 modem in bridge mode.

byronbb
@24.86.200.x

byronbb to Rawrzy

Anon

to Rawrzy
No, getting 2.5MB/s as I type this on my 25Mbps account. Try using a download manager like IDM or Flash Get 3.
ravenchilde
join:2011-04-01

ravenchilde to Rawrzy

to Rawrzy
Shaw posts their traffic management policy in the terms of use for Internet service:

Last updated: June 7, 2011
Shaw uses traffic management policies to ensure proportional access to its network for all Shaw Internet customers. Some Peer-to-Peer (P2P) applications used for non real-time file sharing can consume a disproportionate amount of upstream bandwidth causing disruption to other customers on Shaw's network. Shaw's traffic management policies were introduced to quickly address any upstream congestion caused by these P2P applications while standard network expansion activities are undertaken to increase the bandwidth availability for all users.
Shaw's traffic management policies come into effect only if upstream network congestion occurs on a network segment. If congestion occurs, the traffic management policies reduce the amount of upstream bandwidth available for P2P applications completing non real-time file transfer activity to 80 kbps per end-user.
Shaw's traffic management policies do not affect download speeds and will not affect real-time interactive activities such as on-line gaming, banking, e-mail or VoIP services. For the majority of Shaw customers the Internet experience is unaffected by our traffic management policies and both upstream and downstream bandwidth will be available to ensure the full operation of any application.
The traffic management policies implemented by Shaw use IP addresses to make real-time traffic management decisions in relation to Shaw's network. Since IP addresses have the potential to be linked to an individual's customer account, IP addresses could be considered personal information. The traffic management policies implemented by Shaw do not involve capturing, storing or archiving this information in any way.

Rawrzy
Canada

Rawrzy to kevinds

to kevinds
Using the old SB5102. Will try to get the newer one you stated. Does it come in bridge mode by default or do you have to request it?
Rawrzy

Rawrzy to byronbb

to byronbb
Will do. Thx.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds to Rawrzy

Premium Member

to Rawrzy
Has to be requested, so so when picking it up (or ordering), that way it is already done when you hook it up
Rawrzy
Canada

Rawrzy

From what I read, you could just login to the internal router of the modem and disable it there apparently.
corbin
join:2013-09-13

corbin

No, bridge mode needs to be entered on the billing system.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds to Rawrzy

Premium Member

to Rawrzy
said by Rawrzy:

From what I read, you could just login to the internal router of the modem and disable it there apparently.

Shaw butchered the features of the Cisco firmware
Rawrzy
Canada

4 edits

Rawrzy

Lol kevinds I just noticed who you are now. I have to thank you for leading me in the right direction (from a shaw community thread back in Aug). I decided to get the SBG6782 instead and 'bridged' it through the pass through via router mac. Works perfectly now and you get to use the latest modem.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Yeah, I think my next Shaw task will be seeing if I can get them to send me one of those... Would save me a couple of public IPs...
Rawrzy
Canada

Rawrzy

You mentioned SB6120. Is that only for Biz? I don't see Shaw offering that sort of modem. Could you expand more on what a bonding modem is? I thought you only get 2 public IP's in general.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

DOCSIS 3 has the ability to bond channels (think analog TV channel 60 versus using channels 60-68), giving more speed.

The DOCSIS2 modems SB51xx models only use one channel at a time.

The SB6120 was a modem only modem that was used before Shaw started giving out modem/router combo units

The number of IPs you can have is set by your plan...