uniqs

snipper_cr
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Wheaton, IL

snipper_cr

Premium Member

Bridge 2 networks: ~150' through another building

Here is the setup and hoping the well informed folk here could lend advice.

Trying to connect 2 small offices together - each with it's own internal network (wired and some wireless). Unfortunately, both are separated by approximately 150' direct line distance but also another building. We have tried to position the wireless AP of one unit as close to the wall as possible but it just cannot be received at the other unit.

Our initial idea was just order some form of internet service at both locations and set up a virtual network. We do not need internet at either location but this is one possible solution - we are looking to see if there are others.

I've read many of the threads here and either people had direct LOS or owned the property between. We do not have direct LOS and we are leasing the space so the amount of work we can do is limited. An alley way also separates the two units. Therefore I believe we are stuck with some sort of wireless solution - however mods feel free to move this if there is some wired solution I cannot think of.

Therefore my question is what type of equipment would be required to bridge these two networks if it is at all possible. Again - there is no line of sight and there is a building smack dab between us. Looking at the construction of the building I would guess thick walls and some internal walls too. From my limited knowledge I believe that would warrant lower frequency devices?

Also something to consider - we are in a congested area with lots of wireless networks. I am not sure if that changed things.

Finally I may be completely asking for unicorns and rainbows, but is there anyway the telephone company would run some sort of line from either units that way we can skip the wireless solution at all? Since there is an alley way between us and we do not own the property, running a cable ourselves would probably not work. Again, Mods sorry if this is the wrong area - I am just assuming wireless is needed.

Thanks for any insight!

This thread, »Send Wireless Signal 300ft.., was informative but that person had good LOS.

Hard Harry7
join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

Is your reason to connect the two sites just to network them together, or does one need to have a internet connection to share? If you just need them on same LAN then you might ask your ISP about a Metro-E (TLAN) connection. I have seen solutions over cable and fiber. Who is your ISP?

::Edit:: Did a little stalking and I assume your on Comcast?

»business.comcast.com/eth ··· services

snipper_cr
Premium Member
Wheaton, IL

snipper_cr

Premium Member

As mentioned in the OP, we do not NEED internet at both - if we went with a solution using VPN at both, so be it. Yes we have comcast. The primary reason is just the network them together so data can be shared between them. Absolute worse case scenario is we just run flash drives back and forth. Would be good exercise.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

Some pictures, or a diagram, would help.
What are the distances (alleys, buildings, height)?
Does the building in-between have hallways with windows?
Do any of the buildings have a common owner/manager?
Do you already have internet access at both locations?

snipper_cr
Premium Member
Wheaton, IL

snipper_cr

Premium Member

Click for full size
Alright here is an extremely crude MS paint over Google Earth diagram. The two black lines highlight the alley. The solid vertical red lines equal exterior walls.

The building on the left is our home/office. The one on the right is the new office where we would like to connect our network. There are technically two exterior walls to the building on the right - it is a half basement/half above lever unit but there are windows we can point the antenna through to help eliminate one wall. On the left building, if we go with an all-weather solution I am sure we should be allowed to mount a directional antenna (properly secured/grounded) on the outside (again, eliminate another wall).

The building we have to cross is a residential building so it will be laid out I imagine as a residential building would be. No common ownership among any of the buildings. It is taller than either building so going above is not possible.

Current internet access is just home service on the left unit. If this DOES work, we would probably get business internet service on the right building and share it with the left.

If all else fails, again we just get internet at both and VNC the two and just go with that.

For depth perception, the building on the left is the top floor - 2 stories up so it will be angled down slightly to the right building which like said before is slightly below ground but the antenna can be placed in a window which would be above ground.
jimbopalmer
Tsar of all the Rushers
join:2008-06-02
Greenwood, MS

jimbopalmer to snipper_cr

to snipper_cr
You are trying to take the shortest path, look at this choice. Does this miss all the buildings?

A pair of Ubiquiti Nano Station Loco M5 and mounts would be about $200.

snipper_cr
Premium Member
Wheaton, IL

snipper_cr

Premium Member

Huh. Going to one of the further back windows there is a small sliver that does give me direct LOS basically along the exact line you drew. It's not wide as you can see but I do get direct LOS and could put one station on either side.

That just may work.

Out of curiosity, let us say that direct LOS is not possible. Would there be any solution to this?
jimbopalmer
Tsar of all the Rushers
join:2008-06-02
Greenwood, MS

jimbopalmer to snipper_cr

to snipper_cr
Both carrier pigeon and smoke signals will be way slower than the techniques that need line of sight.

if you can see the other building, I would mount these on the eaves and or roof
»www.amazon.com/Winegard- ··· rd+mount

and put the Nanostation loco M5s on them.

snipper_cr
Premium Member
Wheaton, IL

snipper_cr

Premium Member

Doing some more research, does anyone think that the "frensel" zone will be an issue? »maitechnowiki.files.word ··· 44pm.png
It is a pretty narrow gap I am trying to thread. The vertical zone is clear but the lateral one not so much. Mind you, in that diagram they are dealing with much longer distances (miles versus 150 feet).

I guess I just have to try and make sure I can return what ever equipment I buy if it doesnt work as planned.
LLigetfa
join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON

LLigetfa to snipper_cr

to snipper_cr
From looking at the length of shadows on the pic, I fail to see why you couldn't just go higher to get above the building in between.

snipper_cr
Premium Member
Wheaton, IL

snipper_cr

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
said by LLigetfa:

From looking at the length of shadows on the pic, I fail to see why you couldn't just go higher to get above the building in between.

2 vs 3 story building.

Here is a little more information. Like I said, at this point I do have line of sight, I am just worried about the gap I am trying to thread just being too narrow. I am probably just going to order the equipment and at least give it a try. Here are two updated pictures. First of all, it helps if I draw the line to the right house.

In the new top down picture, the green line represents line of sight. The dots on the corner of the buildings represent the vertical lines in the other picture where the edge of the buildings are.

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Winchester, CA

viperm

Premium Member

A couple of loco M5 will work just fine as suggested I have used them at further distances thru trees and got over 50 megs throughput.

snipper_cr
Premium Member
Wheaton, IL

snipper_cr

Premium Member

We currently have 2 on order, out for delivery today. Mounts came yesterday, excited to play with some new toys!
snipper_cr

snipper_cr

Premium Member

Both ubiquities arrived and installed them on their mounts. I gotta say, those little guys are impressive! Easy set up - just used one off-line lap top to configure both. Mounted them and pointed them at each other and boom - done.

Problem solved. This is awesome! Those little guys really are incredible. Originally we were thinking of getting two wireless APs and then putting directional antenna on them. This is an awesome all-in-one solution!