All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

fan13027
join:2008-10-26
Kelowna, BC

fan13027

(BC) - Moving To Kelowna - What kind of service can I expect?

Hi All,

I'm currently a Shaw customer (Internet and TV) in Winnipeg, but I will be moving to Kelowna, BC in mid-January 2015. I have several related questions. My main concern is internet service, don't care about TV so much.

I currently have Shaw's High Speed 25 plan (advertised as 25 down and 2.5 up - actual speed test results are consistently about 27 down and 2.7 up) and I'm very happy with the service and speed.

I know Shaw has a presence in Kelowna, but I'm also having a look at Telus for comparison. I would be interested in their high speed 25 plan. The price seems slightly better than Shaw's but Telus advertises download speeds for that plan as being between 5.0 and 25.0. That's quite a spread and if it ends up being anything under 25 I won't be happy.

My actual location will be in a condo building within a hundred or so metres from the corner of Gordon Dr and Springfield Rd. Can anyone tell me what "real world" expectations I should have?

Also, they offer a reduced rate for the first year if you bundle internet service with a three year contract for TV. But does this 3 year contract actually guarantee locked in prices for the 3 years, or does it just mean I'm committed for three years of TV service with the possibility of unknow price increases in the 2nd or third year. That certainly is one of the attractive features of Shaw - no contracts!

If I enter a three year contract and decide I want to terminate early, what kind of penalties can I expect?

humanfilth
join:2013-02-14
river styx

humanfilth

East side of Okanagan Lake is getting a fibre build
»fibre.telus.com/kelowna
Check with Condo to be sure they signed up for Telus to install fibre in the building. Otherwise DSL equipment can be on the street or in basement.
Being on fibre, you can use your own router(easy with internet) to the ONT or put a switch to the ONT then your router to one port, then the Actiontec gateway for TV to another port.

Speeds should be at the maximum listed. As long as there is no oversell of capacity, speeds should be good. Some dipshit at Telus awhile back added that strange variability of speed in the Telus speed tiers. Anyone who gets stuck at the listed bottom speed should always raise hell, since they are then overpaying.

You can get Optik TV without contract, provided you either buy(at a store) or rent the Telus TV hardware.
No guarantee on price staying the same.
Penalty is a certain dollar amount per month for the current contract stipulations are. »www.telus.com/en/bc/get- ··· ticle.do

Usual 6 months at half price for service for new users, with no contracts.

Bundling Telus service's without contract is getting $5 off for each per month.

Internet caps may be enforced next year.
»www.telus.com/en/bc/get- ··· ticle.do

fan13027
join:2008-10-26
Kelowna, BC

fan13027

Thanks for the excellent info. I have had an opportunity to review Condo Board Minutes, and apparently Telus has approached the building about fibre, and it received the go ahead from the board, but it's not in yet.

As I said, not very concerned about TV, but the way I read it, I would get not just $5 off for bundling but 50% off internet ($30 per month) for a full year if I contract for 3 years TV. That's an awfully big carrot to dangle in front of me .... I'm just worried about the stick behind the carrot