train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

1 edit

train_wreck

[Equip] Bad link "http://www.comcast.com/deviceupgrade"?

just figured i would signal boost a link i saw over at »forums.comcast.com/t5/Ba ··· /2348839.

Some Comcast customers are reporting that simply by clicking the link below, an order is automatically created to ship them out a new modem/gateway, without any confirmation:

htt p://www.comcast.com/deviceupgrade

I'm not sure if it's true; i went to the link & was prompted for my Comcast account credentials, which i didn't enter. As well, i'm not sure whether the ordering of the new device would cause an increase/decrease in bill charges.

Anyone with more info would be welcome.

DooBee
@73.45.68.x

DooBee

Anon

I saw that too, I'm thinking that if you are signed in and your account has been identified as needing a modem upgrade, you get shipped one without any further confirmation.

Would cost Comcast a few bucks in shipping and return fees if the clients equipment is wrong in the account details. I had to call in a couple of times, before I had the correct equipment in my account.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

3 edits

NetFixer to train_wreck

Premium Member

to train_wreck
Well, if you look at the message above that link on »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/ it says (in a bright red font):

For Xfinity customers who lease their device and require an upgrade to a D3.0 Wireless Gateway please click on the link below

There is no hint that this is an information link -- it is strictly an order link (note the phrase require an upgrade and also the phrase Wireless Gateway). I am not saying that I agree with how they are handling it, but when you have been dealing with cableco and telco bean counters and managers for as many decades as I have, you do gain a bit if insight into their view of the world (and into their use of critical words in public statements).

And as an added bonus , I guess that is also another way to make sure that more xfinitywifi SSIDs show up on Google and WIGLE WiFi scan maps (some Comcast manager earned a lot of attaboys with this idea).

iNick
Premium Member
join:2012-12-11
Joliet, IL

1 edit

iNick to DooBee

Premium Member

to DooBee
I just copied and paste the link and got »puu.sh/ck49A/449aaceb13.png I hope I don't get one sent I'm using my owned EMTA TM822G :/

Edit: I didn't think it was gonna actually say that ha.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by iNick:

I just copied and paste the link and got »puu.sh/ck49A/449aaceb13.png I hope I don't get one sent I'm using my owned EMTA TM822G :/

Edit: I didn't think it was gonna actually say that ha.

Lol

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to iNick

Premium Member

to iNick
I got that too even while not logged in, and certainly would take it back if it is sent. but even with a 6120 I should not and did not get a letter so hopefully they do require the 2 fold thing.
Not having an "I accept" button is stupid.

iNick
Premium Member
join:2012-12-11
Joliet, IL

iNick

Premium Member

I had chatted with comcast immediately after doing it and was told yep the upgrade went through and you were lucky you chatted with us in told to cancel it lol

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt
said by tshirt:

I got that too even while not logged in, and certainly would take it back if it is sent. but even with a 6120 I should not and did not get a letter so hopefully they do require the 2 fold thing.
Not having an "I accept" button is stupid.

If you were not signed into Comcast/Xfinity and you clicked on the "gateway order" link, you would have gotten a Comcast/Xfinity Sign In screen similar to the one shown below -- you would have not gone straight to the automatic gateway order page.

You may not have explicitly signed in for the purpose of ordering a leased gateway -- but even if you didn't explicitly sign in, and don't even have your browser save the auto-login cookie -- if you had previously signed in to any Comcast/Xfinity site for any reason (checking your account, checking email, looking at TV listings...), your browser would keep you signed in as long as there was a browser instance still running on your PC (unless you had explicitly signed out from Comcast/Xfinity -- and then you would have been asked to sign in again).

I really can't think of any way you could have clicked on the link being discussed in this thread, and actually reaching the page that confirms your order, unless you were signed into Comcast/Xfinity with valid credentials.

Of course, you could have signed in using another person's credentials -- is that what you are implying?

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

said by NetFixer:

but even if you didn't explicitly sign in, and don't even have your browser save the auto-login cookie

The thing is I've never been able to make it auto save, sometimes takes 2 loops throw the sign in to see my account and my password filler needs to be clicked to get in.
so unless it used a different cookie or tracker then any thing Comcast has thrown at me before, it Shouldn't know who I am. (though recently the location function has worked better)
I guess I'll know in a few days, and have a full Comcast call and service center nearby to return it too.

WoofieInPC
Premium Member
join:2009-04-04
Panama City, FL

WoofieInPC to train_wreck

Premium Member

to train_wreck
And I got a UPS notification of shipping tonight from clicking on that LOL. I was signed into my account. And no confirmation etc.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

1 recommendation

train_wreck to NetFixer

to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

I really can't think of any way you could have clicked on the link being discussed in this thread, and actually reaching the page that confirms your order, unless you were signed into Comcast/Xfinity with valid credentials.

right, but i bet a lot of people are probably signed into their Comcast account all the time, because they leave their Comcast email open, or just because their browser caches the login... In any case, i think it's a little rude of them not to have at least an "are you SURE you want to order this modem?" confirmation. People might click that link not to order an upgrade immediately, but for more information about it... e.g., what kind of modem is it?

Not to mention the potential havoc it could wreck for one's account; Comcast is somewhat notorious for having "issues" keeping track of that kind of thing.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

1 recommendation

Darknessfall to WoofieInPC

Premium Member

to WoofieInPC
said by WoofieInPC:

And I got a UPS notification of shipping tonight from clicking on that LOL. I was signed into my account. And no confirmation etc.

Wireless gateways for everyone !

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG to train_wreck

Premium Member

to train_wreck
Oyyyyy.... Deja-vu and NIGHTMARES seeing a thread like this here as well.....

WoofieInPC
Premium Member
Panama City, FL

WoofieInPC to Darknessfall

Premium Member

to Darknessfall
And it's a TC8305C, looking at my account page. It's early, not enough coffee in me, but can't find how many channels it can handle. If it will do 16 DS, I might keep it, return my SB6141 until SB6183 are easier to find.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by WoofieInPC:

And it's a TC8305C, looking at my account page. It's early, not enough coffee in me, but can't find how many channels it can handle.

The TC8305C is one of the Xfinity "Wireless Gateway 1" models »customer.comcast.com/hel ··· compare/ and can bond up to 8 downstream channels (8x4).

Here is the Xfinity User Guide on it: »media2.comcast.net/anon. ··· 0811.pdf

WoofieInPC
Premium Member
Panama City, FL

WoofieInPC

Premium Member

Thanks. I still might, 8x4 is what I have with the SB6141, but the TC models I've used in the past have not impressed. Fortunately the Comcast office here is just a mile away. For some that might be an issue in returning the whoops orders, distance to the local office. Unless Comcast ponys up for return labels.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck

said by WoofieInPC:

Unless Comcast ponys up for return labels.

FureverFurry
RIP Daphne: 3/12/05 - 6/19/12
Premium Member
join:2012-02-20
49xxx
Zoom 5341J
ARRIS WBM760
Vonage VDV-21

FureverFurry to WoofieInPC

Premium Member

to WoofieInPC
said by WoofieInPC:

No worries; they'll still charge you the lease fee whether it gets returned or not. Just give 'em the extra $10/month and keep ComCast happy .
hachima
join:2005-05-30
Portland, OR

hachima

I accidently clicked the link too and the Chat agent said no order has been placed and it was a glitch on the website. So hopefully future clicks aren't automatically shipping you a modem...We will see

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

1 recommendation

tshirt to WoofieInPC

Premium Member

to WoofieInPC
said by WoofieInPC:

You could just refuse to accept it, but if it should get lost on the way back, proving you don't have it might be tough.
If hundreds get returned to local service centers it will just have been a VERY expensive/ineffective way of distributing them to the local inventory.
And hopefully be an educational moment for Comcast,(for which WE will eventually pay )

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall to WoofieInPC

Premium Member

to WoofieInPC
said by WoofieInPC:

Thanks. I still might, 8x4 is what I have with the SB6141, but the TC models I've used in the past have not impressed. Fortunately the Comcast office here is just a mile away. For some that might be an issue in returning the whoops orders, distance to the local office. Unless Comcast ponys up for return labels.

What other Technicolor devices have you used? The TC8305C is the first one used by Comcast that's made by Technicolor.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by Darknessfall:

said by WoofieInPC:

Thanks. I still might, 8x4 is what I have with the SB6141, but the TC models I've used in the past have not impressed. ...

What other Technicolor devices have you used? The TC8305C is the first one used by Comcast that's made by Technicolor.

Technicolor had made a number of modems, EMTAs (and gateways?) under the old Thomson/RCA brand names that Comcast has previously used.

See: »[Connectivity] Technicolor Gateway - Live?

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by telcodad:

said by Darknessfall:

said by WoofieInPC:

Thanks. I still might, 8x4 is what I have with the SB6141, but the TC models I've used in the past have not impressed. ...

Technicolor had made a number of modems, EMTAs (and gateways?) under the old Thomson/RCA brand names that Comcast has previously used.

See: »[Connectivity] Technicolor Gateway - Live?

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

WoofieInPC
Premium Member
Panama City, FL

Premium Member

to Darknessfall
I thought I had replied to this. Anyhoo, it is possible I had this same one, it was earlier this year. I'm still up in the air about what I'm going to do. Am I the only fool who actually had one shipped? Teach me to click willy-nilly on links, LOL.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by WoofieInPC:

I thought I had replied to this. Anyhoo, it is possible I had this same one, it was earlier this year. I'm still up in the air about what I'm going to do. Am I the only fool who actually had one shipped? Teach me to click willy-nilly on links, LOL.

I looked back on your old posts and you had the Cisco DPC3939 which is a 16x4 channel gateway.

WoofieInPC
Premium Member
Panama City, FL

WoofieInPC

Premium Member

I did, but somewhere, somehow, I had another one around the same time. One was a replacement for the other. I'm still brain dead today, but seems there were issues getting one into bridge mode, sent me the other, something like that. I'll look at my old posts, see if I can recall.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by WoofieInPC:

I did, but somewhere, somehow, I had another one around the same time. One was a replacement for the other. I'm still brain dead today, but seems there were issues getting one into bridge mode, sent me the other, something like that. I'll look at my old posts, see if I can recall.

I see, you then say "I've been trying to get bridge mode set on a gateway for a couple of weeks. I was originally given a Cisco DPC3939. I was able to get it set easily enough, but it kept rebooting itself about every five minutes.... only if in bridge mode. So I had them send me another modem, and got another gateway, TC8305C, which doesn't have MOCA, so I gave up on it, been using the DPC3939 as a gateway, but that gives me terrible wireless access throughout the house."

So, it's the same thing you're getting now .

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to WoofieInPC

Premium Member

to WoofieInPC
said by WoofieInPC:

Without scanning your old posts, I do seem to recall seeing on-line posts reporting that the DPC3939 has/had a firmware problem that prevents/prevented it from being used in bridge mode.

WoofieInPC
Premium Member
Panama City, FL

Premium Member

to Darknessfall
As I was copying and pasting, LOL. Yep!