Search similar:

uniqs

Rattler
join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA

Rattler to GoldenGirl

to GoldenGirl

Re: FIOS app on Samsung TV

I just checked Samsung's on-line listing of apps and the FiOS TV app is still there. I entered the model number of the Blu-Ray I've been using it on (BD-E5900) and it still shows it's compatible.

From their on-line app page:
FiOS TV
FREE

Devices : TVs Blu-rays
Categories : Videos
By : Verizon
Updated : 03/19/14

Stream FiOS On Demand Flex View movies and TV shows as well as watch up to 75 live channels from FiOS TV. Verizon continues to expand the borderless lifestyle with our newest app.
However, when I now try to run the app on the player (it is still there), I get a new pop-up message (before the app loads): "Network interference occurred, please try again later." The app then loads and hangs.

I went to the app store on the player and the FiOS app is now gone from the video section and shows up null on a search.

Hopefully, a revamp is afoot...
Rattler

1 edit

Rattler to nycdave

to nycdave
Dave, thank you very much for the update. You're the first to have clearly quantified the issue.

Why the heck the Samsung reps couldn't have fessed up to it, through all my conversations with them, is beyond me.

Again, thanks for being here!!!

MHZ123
@108.35.89.x

MHZ123

Anon

Actually, they have removed the app on my SamsungSmart Hub. The Fios TV App was deleted automatically on Tuesday, when I go to the videos portion of the Samsung apps page there is no "Fios TV App". I can not believe they removed it, nevertheless a very user friendly app gone.

Rattler
Havertown, PA

Rattler

said by MHZ123 :

Actually, they have removed the app on my SamsungSmart Hub. The Fios TV App was deleted automatically on Tuesday, when I go to the videos portion of the Samsung apps page there is no "Fios TV App". I can not believe they removed it, nevertheless a very user friendly app gone.

Not sure that you read this post by nycdave:
said by nycdave :

This is a Samsung issue. Akamai recently changed all their traffic from SSL to TLS, and that broke the app's functionality. Samsung is working on a fix right now, so that's probably why they pulled it from their app store.

But, it gives a reasonable thought that the app is being redone and may reappear, soon, hopefully.

BTW, the defunct app is still in my SmartHub - go figger.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL to MHZ123

to MHZ123
said by MHZ123 :

Option 1: Keep the broken app on the apps page (even though it is broken) and let all customers simmer (get disappointed, angry, you name it) when it doesn't work; or
Option 2: Remove the broken app from the apps page (until it is fixed) and let those who knew about it simmer (same as above) but keep other who didn't in the dark.

Neither option is good but they chose the second.

I seem to recall that some time ago the app worked and then broke and it was then temporarily removed. It was then put back in the apps store after it was fixed. Hopefully history repeats itself.

Rattler
Havertown, PA

Rattler to MHZ123

to MHZ123
said by MHZ123 :

I was in the SmartHub of my player this AM and got a message that it needed updating. The update was to delete the FiOS app from the Hub. So, now mine is as yours.

Just a piece of info...
Steve3
join:2010-01-28
Springfield, NJ

Steve3

I went to check my FIOS app on my Samsung TV tonite, and it is gone. I had used it before.
DanF8500
join:2014-10-08

1 edit

DanF8500 to PJL

to PJL
Click for full size
The app is still present in my Smarthub. I just logged in tonight, and it is functioning perfectly!
Sasa
join:2001-09-22
Universe

Sasa to Steve3

to Steve3
said by Steve3:

I went to check my FIOS app on my Samsung TV tonite, and it is gone. I had used it before.

Same here
tnsprin
join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL

tnsprin to DanF8500

to DanF8500
said by DanF8500:

The app is still present in my Smarthub. I just logged in tonight, and it is functioning perfectly!

Perhaps but its gone on many boxes. What year series Samsung? Mine are E series PN64E8000, etc. It is no longer installed. and I didn't delete it.
opinionmine
join:2006-03-10

opinionmine

App gone from TV. Still on blu-ray player.

Who believes it's temporary for a fix?
DanF8500

DanF8500 to tnsprin

to tnsprin

said by tnsprin See Profile
Perhaps but its gone on many boxes. What year series Samsung? Mine are E series PN64E8000, etc. It is no longer installed. and I didn't delete it.

I have a Samsung F8500 plasma tv. Bought in in April 2013. The FIOS app is working perfectly. I hope Samsung doesn't pull it from my smarthub. There should be no reason to pull a perfectly working app from the smarthub.
Steve3
join:2010-01-28
Springfield, NJ

Steve3

Spoke to Samsung today. They removed the app. They are fixing the issues with it. It will come back, but no ETA.
opinionmine

opinionmine

Bad news.

The app on the Blu-ray-that had been working all this time-is no longer working. Spinning wheel exactly as the app on the TV behaved before it was removed.
mikeluscher159
join:2011-09-04

mikeluscher159 to opinionmine

to opinionmine
They pulled it from my Samsung Smart TV too. Hopefully while there at it, we'll get more channels, the new UI, and it actually may work.
opinionmine

opinionmine

said by mikeluscher159:

They pulled it from my Samsung Smart TV too.

Yes, that's well known.

But even when the TV app went bad a few weeks ago, for some of us the app on our Blu-rays continued to work (for us, the Blu-ray app is so much more important than the TV's app)but as of this morning, at least here, it is no longer finding the network.

Anyone else, where your TV and/or Blu-ray app was working through yesterday, but is no longer working today?

GoldenGirl
@108.51.247.x

GoldenGirl to Steve3

Anon

to Steve3
Ready for this, all?!?!?! Get ready to flip your lid!

I have been emailing Verizon about this and they replied today at 3:20pm ET with this response. They know I'm talking about Fios TV, not mobile, so I'm wondering if this is true.

Thank you for choosing FiOS Mobile app. Sorry for the inconvenience. We no longer support the Samsung Smart TV; since it isn’t compatible with our features and network. We had worked diligently and efficiently to resolve this issue with the Samsung technicians; unfortunately we were not able to come to a resolution. We hope to work with Samsung in future and I will forward your email as a suggestion to our application developers to improve our application. I really appreciate you taking the time and initiative to reach out to us.

Let us know, if you are facing any other issues.

Sincerely,
Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: cid:image001.jpg@01CFACB5.EB6D2350

Rittu
FiOS Mobile App Genius
Rate our App – iTunes | GooglePlay | Amazon
webcobbler
join:2013-03-09
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler

Thanks for the post, GoldenGirl.

I do not know why it would now be incompatible with their system, all of a sudden.

To me, if the TV app is now unsupported, in the next FIOS Mobile App update, they should include AirPlay as a feature. I used the TV app because I loved watching it on my TV. I would definitely prefer that over watching it on my Tablet. But I do not think they will include that. But I am hoping.
opinionmine

opinionmine

said by opinionmine:

Bad news.

The app on the Blu-ray-that had been working all this time-is no longer working. Spinning wheel exactly as the app on the TV behaved before it was removed.

Pleasant surprise.

This morning the app on the Blu-ray is working.

Must have been a network issue yesterday.

Rattler
Havertown, PA

Rattler

said by opinionmine:

said by opinionmine:

Bad news.

Pleasant surprise.

This morning the app on the Blu-ray is working.

Must have been a network issue yesterday.

Interesting that the SmartHub system didn't automatically remove the app from your player, like it did mine. And, as of last night, the app was still not available on their site, through the Hub. My player model is a BD-E5900 (2012 model year), could you post yours?

GoldenGirl's post is disappointing, but I'm hoping that it is simply another rep's uninformed response.
DanF8500

DanF8500 to GoldenGirl

to GoldenGirl
said by GoldenGirl :

Ready for this, all?!?!?! Get ready to flip your lid!

I have been emailing Verizon about this and they replied today at 3:20pm ET with this response. They know I'm talking about Fios TV, not mobile, so I'm wondering if this is true.

Thank you for choosing FiOS Mobile app. Sorry for the inconvenience. We no longer support the Samsung Smart TV; since it isn’t compatible with our features and network. We had worked diligently and efficiently to resolve this issue with the Samsung technicians; unfortunately we were not able to come to a resolution. We hope to work with Samsung in future and I will forward your email as a suggestion to our application developers to improve our application. I really appreciate you taking the time and initiative to reach out to us.

Let us know, if you are facing any other issues.

Sincerely,
Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: cid:image001.jpg@01CFACB5.EB6D2350

Rittu
FiOS Mobile App Genius
Rate our App – iTunes | GooglePlay | Amazon

It's all a bunch of lies. The FIOS tv app is still functioning fine on my Samsung plasma tv. I think this whole thread doesn't apply to my smart tv. Good luck everyone. I guess you'll have to buy a Samsung F8500 if you want to use the FIOS tv app.
opinionmine

1 edit

opinionmine to Rattler

to Rattler
A year newer, and the Costco version: BD-FM59C

The way this is going, it may not work again tomorrow.

My Samsung TV-where it was removed, is the 2012 60D7000

Rattler
Havertown, PA

Rattler

Thanks...
zifnab966
join:2014-06-18
united state

zifnab966 to opinionmine

to opinionmine
The reason that some tvs are working and some aren't is due to differing levels of TLS support in different generations of Samsung TVs. As I understand it, Samsung may be patching their affected 2012 and 2013 models to support TLS, but the 2011 models may not be fixed. Obviously this may not apply to all tvs, but it's not a blanket 'Samsung' or 'Verizon' thing.

GoldenGirl
@108.51.247.x

GoldenGirl

Anon

I bought my TV in June 2014. It's not old. Model 5300. I can't fathom that this brand new TV would not support the Fios TV app when it did a month ago. I am going to Samsung next. Verizon is completely worthless.
GoldenGirl

GoldenGirl

Anon

BTW this is the list of supported devices-- mine is on this list.

»www.samsung.com/us/appst ··· UHD%20TV
dfwguy
join:2013-10-24

dfwguy to GoldenGirl

to GoldenGirl
What is the full model number? 5300 means nothing because there are 5300 models in multiple different model years.

PlanoBillP
@71.123.223.x

PlanoBillP to GoldenGirl

Anon

to GoldenGirl
Mine is on the list, too, but the app is no longer available. I have been communicating with Samsung. This is the latest response from them.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for contacting Samsung. From the email description, I see that you are not happy as the FIOS TV app no longer available on your TV(UN32EH5000FXZA). I can sense how important the app is for you. Currently FIOS TV app is not available for your TV. I regret to say there is no alternate option to make the app compatible for this model TV. Here is the link of compatible model products for FIOS TV app.

»www.samsung.com/us/appst ··· LED%20TV

We understand the frustration with the FIOS TV App no longer available for our customers with this model TVs. It is up to FIOS TV to create an application that would work with our TVs and we are waiting on further information from them. We hope that this feature will soon be available to our customers. Currently there is no estimated time of arrival on when the app will be released, please check the link below for future updates on this app. Samsung values you as a customer and want to insure that we have provided you with the answer you were looking for.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Frustration is a good description. I responded saying that either they don't understand the situation or their list of compatible TV's is not up to date. Likely the answer is both.
opinionmine

opinionmine

I'm not on twitter but some stories I've read in financial press/media attest that corporations are monitoring their twitter accounts for complaints and those complaints often get priority responses.

When we choose our particular brand product to buy, for some of us the FIOS app availably on Samsung influenced our choice.

They can not simply abandon us.

If you are on twitter, let them know.

PlanoBillP
@71.123.223.x

PlanoBillP to PlanoBillP

Anon

to PlanoBillP
Further response from Samsung makes it quite clear what is happening:
-------------------------------
I have checked the details in our database and it appears that FIOS TV has decided to remove their services from Samsung TVs. So if your TV is updated, you may not find the app in the Smart hub platform. We hope that this feature will soon be available to our customers. Currently there is no estimated time of arrival on when the app will be released. Fur further information on the app please contact the FIOS app support. Thank you for your understanding.
---------------------------------
Hope we can get some attention from Verizon, and they remedy this situation. They still seem to be promoting the app for other platforms and the mobile app as well. It looks like they would want to get it back on Samsung, but they are not doing anything about customer communications.