nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave to PlanoBillP

MVM

to PlanoBillP

Re: FIOS app on Samsung TV

As I've previously stated, Samsung has to get a software fix tested and pushed out to some of their TV's that don't support TLS. Akamai changed the way they deliver traffic from SSL to TLS, and some Samsung TV's can't deal with TLS correctly. Until Samsung fixes those TV's, the FiOS app will not be available for those models.

trinitydoc
@96.252.192.x

trinitydoc

Anon

As others have posted, the FIOS app has been suddenly deleted from certain TV's. In my case, though, the app was not on my TV. I am using E5900 Blue ray players which have also exhibited the network connection loop since Oct. Today, my player suddenly deleted my FIOS app (though for some reason the app is working on my F5900, which previously did not have the app available). I purchased the Samsung E5900 models specifically because of the FIOS app and now it is gone (no warning from Verizon nor Samsung). Lousy customer care which leads me to reconsider Samsung purchases in the future.
Is there any possibility Verizon wants to force customers to rent more set top boxes?

mpg76
@132.200.32.x

mpg76 to GoldenGirl

Anon

to GoldenGirl
Exactly the same situation over here. I bought this TV for the solely purpose of having cable TV over wifi in my bedroom because I didn't want to have cables running all over the place. This joke cost me almost $400. Thanks, Verizon.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

said by mpg76 :

Exactly the same situation over here. I bought this TV for the solely purpose of having cable TV over wifi in my bedroom because I didn't want to have cables running all over the place. This joke cost me almost $400. Thanks, Verizon.

It's not Verizon; it's Samsung's problem that some of their TVs do support TLS. Samsung will likely fix this issue.

rooster32
@66.194.182.x

rooster32

Anon

I'm in the market for a bedroom TV that would not have a dedicated Fios STB. My idea was to buy a Samsung Smart TV and utilize the Fios App.

Is it still worth buying a Samsung TV for this functionality? Is there any confidence this will be resolved in the near future?

Should I instead focus my attention to a TV with a cable card? What is the general consensus there?
Betamax76
join:2008-10-16
Canonsburg, PA

3 edits

Betamax76

said by rooster32 :

Should I instead focus my attention to a TV with a cable card? What is the general consensus there?

I don't believe there are any new TVs with CableCard slots. TiVo and Windows Media Center PCs currently have CableCard. The Samsung GX-SM530CF (released last year) also has CableCard and currently sells for about $130 on Amazon.

You can tune clear QAM (local channels including HD, WeatherScan Local, Weather Channel SD, WGN SD, Local Gov't and School Access) with virtually all new TVs.

HB Cali
@108.13.87.x

HB Cali to mpg76

Anon

to mpg76
I am pretty confident that this is not a TV issue, but Verizon decided to pull the plug on all Fios TV apps because they are losing out on us renting their cable boxes. I purchased two LG TVs since they (had) the VZ fios TV app, but now on both TVs all I get is attempt to detect network. Eventually I give up and turn off the TV.

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave

MVM

The FiOS app on LG was pulled a while ago. Samsung is still supported, but Samsung must fix their TV firmware in order for the FiOS app to work correctly.
webcobbler
join:2013-03-09
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler

Are there any updates, as of yet?

I ask, because I just received a new Firmware for my Samsung 2012 TV, which had the FiOS app on it. I have not received a Firmware update to this particular TV in a very long time. That got my suspicions, arise. So to speak.

After the update, I checked, but still no app. Unfortunately.

Rattler
join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA

Rattler

said by webcobbler:

Are there any updates, as of yet?

I ask, because I just received a new Firmware for my Samsung 2012 TV, which had the FiOS app on it. I have not received a Firmware update to this particular TV in a very long time. That got my suspicions, arise. So to speak.

After the update, I checked, but still no app. Unfortunately.

Likewise for my Blu-Ray player (BD-E5900). My guess is that it may take a while to update the app store to reinclude the units that have had their firmware updated - at least that's what I'm hoping.

RScottyL
join:2004-12-28
Arlington, TX

RScottyL to webcobbler

to webcobbler
Same here!

Looks like a new firmware update became availabe for my UN32EH5300F on November 19th!

Still no FIOS app!

JayMan 007
join:2005-07-18
Richmond, VA

JayMan 007 to opinionmine

to opinionmine
At this point, I'd rather have Fios develop an app for Roku & AppleTV.
webcobbler
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler

said by JayMan 007:

At this point, I'd rather have Fios develop an app for Roku & AppleTV.

I agree with you on that. It would just make more sense.

Or allow the ability to at least AirPlay from the App, itself.
mikeluscher159
join:2011-09-04

mikeluscher159 to opinionmine

to opinionmine
My UN32EH5300F got an update today, then I checked again and its downloading yet another one, 002002 version. From 002001.
Wonder when the FiOS TV app will return.
webcobbler
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler

My TV had a SmartHub Update today. I as well am running Firmware 002002.

Still no FiOS App, though.
opinionmine
join:2006-03-10

1 edit

opinionmine

Although my TV has not had FIOS since I initiated this thread, my Costco bought F90 Blu-ray FIOS app did continue to work.

Until today.

It does seem to be detecting the network, i.e. the wheel is not continuing to spin, but it sends a message that it can not fetch data.

Could the FIOS network be down? See the time and date for this post.

Postscript: After two hours it's back. Guess network was down. With what has happened with the TV app, and no fix after all this time, I was concerned.

Rattler
Havertown, PA

Rattler

said by opinionmine:

Although my TV has not had FIOS since I initiated this thread, my Costco bought F90 Blu-ray FIOS app did continue to work.

Until today.

It does seem to be detecting the network, i.e. the wheel is not continuing to spin, but it sends a message that it can not fetch data.

Could the FIOS network be down? See the time and date for this post.

That's a possibility... When the app was working on my Blu-Ray, I would occasionally see that error message. Usually, on a retry later, it would connect as it should.

The firmware on my player was updated about 11 days ago, and I check the app store almost daily, but it hasn't reappeared yet (checked last night).

PlanoBillP
@71.123.223.x

PlanoBillP to mikeluscher159

Anon

to mikeluscher159
Thought I would ask the question of Samsung one more time. Their response:

Thank you for contacting Samsung. With reference to your email, I understand that you are inquiring about the Verizon FiOS app not being available for your TV model UN32EH5300FXZA and it shows available for your TV on Samsung web site. We consider this as a feedback. As a customer, I can understand your concern about this. As of now the Verizon FiOS app is not available for any of the devices. We hope that this feature will soon be available to our customers. Currently there is no estimated time of arrival on when the app will be available, please check »www.samsung.com/us/appstore for future updates for this app. Samsung values you as a customer and want to insure that we have provided you with the answer you were looking for.

I guess we'll just have to keep waiting.

Rattler
Havertown, PA

Rattler

It's taking them (Samsung) long enough to fix something they broke over two months ago...
DanF8500
join:2014-10-08

DanF8500 to PlanoBillP

to PlanoBillP
said by PlanoBillP :

Thought I would ask the question of Samsung one more time. Their response:

... As of now the Verizon FiOS app is not available for any of the devices. We hope that this feature will soon be available to our customers. Currently there is no estimated time of arrival on when the app will be available, please check »www.samsung.com/us/appstore for future updates for this app.

I guess we'll just have to keep waiting.

Samsung lied to you about the app not being available "for any of the devices". They're giving you the runaround, because they don't have an answer either. How pathetic is that? I've been running the Verizon fios app just fine on my Samsung plasma tv (F8500). It has always worked, and has always been in my smarthub.
thetick
join:2009-06-22
White Plains, NY

thetick

said by DanF8500:

Samsung lied to you about the app not being available "for any of the devices". They're giving you the runaround, because they don't have an answer either. How pathetic is that? I've been running the Verizon fios app just fine on my Samsung plasma tv (F8500). It has always worked, and has always been in my smarthub.

Oh please .. Why do people think companies are so quick to lie. In these type of misinformation cases 90%+ is just an uneducated CSR trying to close the support case. The Samsung engineers know exactly what the problem is.
mikeluscher159

mikeluscher159

They did lie, because they took it off my TV, and its no longer in the app store, so I can't redownload it.
thetick
join:2009-06-22
White Plains, NY

thetick

said by mikeluscher159:

They did lie, because they took it off my TV, and its no longer in the app store, so I can't redownload it.

Sorry I just don't see how an act of software maintenance is a lie. If you hate Samsung so much because you think they lied to you, please donate all your Samsung equipment to someone who will appreciate the products.
mikeluscher159

mikeluscher159

Software mantience shouldn't take 3+ months. I'm understanding, but much like Sprint, I shouldn't have to be doling out pity to a corporation who can't keep there act together. And "Appreciate" they're products, I've owned enough to say that's far from an apt punishment.
Sasa
join:2001-09-22
Universe

Sasa to opinionmine

to opinionmine
FIOS TV app stopped working on my 2 ES8000 TVs & E6700 Blue-ray player

It is still working fine on my F7500/ZA Blue-Ray player. It is available at Best Buy Magnolia stores on sale for $179. (I just got another one so I can watch FIOS TV in another room).
webcobbler
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler

Is there any updates at all, on this?

Thanks
Expand your moderator at work
webcobbler

webcobbler

Re: FIOS app on Samsung TV

Any update about getting the FiOS App back on out TVs and other devices?

Thanks

Rattler
Havertown, PA

Rattler

said by webcobbler:

Any update about getting the FiOS App back on out TVs and other devices?

Thanks

I've heard nothing. It is still not available for my BD-E5900 Blu-Ray, despite it having its firmware updated a few weeks ago. I just keep checking in hopes that it'll show up.
webcobbler
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler

Same here. I hope it does show up. Many people will be very disgruntled.

I personally bought my Samsung for that FIOS App. It is in a room where nothing is connected, so I just used that app to watch TV.