Premium Member
join:2000-08-16
East Puddle
·Shoreham Telephone

koam

Premium Member

Router requirement for gaming and video on XBox One

I have to replace my router.

Are there any specs that are crucial for gaming & video streaming on XBox One?

(For example, are Gigabit ports really needed vs 10/100 Ethernet?)

Do you run your XBox One gaming via WiFi so that the ports don't even matter? Opinions? thanks

Jehu
Premium Member
join:2002-09-13
MA

1 recommendation

Jehu

Premium Member

Get a decent router (asus, etc ), find the least populated channel you can, and you should be good to go. I have my xbox one wired through moca, but wireless n before that. No appreciable difference.

TeatherWind
join:2001-08-21
Euless, TX

1 edit

1 recommendation

TeatherWind to koam

to koam
Even with wifi you need to open the proper ports or enable upnp.

Most of the modern/newer routers shouldn't have an issue as long as you only plan on playing with one xbox.

I use wifi on one of my X1, and don't have too much of an issue with it, and the other is hardwired. The gig ports would be nice if you are streaming media within your network, or being provided internet service from google or another provider that offers more than 100 down.
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

1 recommendation

pandora to koam

Premium Member

to koam
Any router you can flash DD-WRT, Open-WRT, Tomato or the Linux firmware of choice will likely be decent. For the last few years, I've been on DD-WRT, before that Tomato USB. Most decent routers can be firmware flashed to a semi open source Linux.

koam
Pink Pecker
Premium Member
join:2000-08-16
East Puddle
·Shoreham Telephone

koam

Premium Member

I've always been chicken to flash the router with other firmware.

I just got a Belkin AC750 dual band as a free replacement for a Belkin Play 600N DB that had ethernet ports that went bad on me.

I have a very slow ISP.
From my research, I'd never need Gigabit for anything going through the internet because my ISP is so bad. And I don't expect to be doing so many file transfers over the router. I may have a HD of movies that I want to play on the TV but so far the old router was not a problem for that. I will have to test the new router
koam

koam to TeatherWind

Premium Member

to TeatherWind
Thank you all for the replies. We've be using the Xbox on wifi in any case. I don't think using Wifi insted of ethernet is any slower for our uses...but will have to check
mja1980
join:2013-05-09

mja1980

It will depend on if you have a 5 ghz router like I do and it still is a little slower. I get 113.6/5.87 on a cord, wireless with the xb1 I get 81-95 /5.6. That is one the less congested 5 ghz band. 2.4 wouldn't even come close to that. I just went back and reread your router make sure you put it on the 5ghz channel.