uniqs

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3 to nwrickert

Premium Member

to nwrickert

Re: [Need Info] So many browsers I don't even know where to start, do you?

SW Iron and Pale Moon have TAR files for Linux. I have both on Kubuntu.

skj91
join:2007-10-19
West Sacramento, CA

1 recommendation

skj91 to Blackbird

to Blackbird
said by Blackbird:

I have become convinced in recent years that the only reason Opera even messes around at all any more with a desktop browser is to provide an eventual 'dovetailing' desktop capability for their mobile users who want desktop interoperability, and as a kind of test-bed for ideas to ultimately employ on mobile without ruffling that money-making market from browser ideas that "don't fly". The digital world and the "big" user markets have changed significantly since the "olden" Opera days... the desktop is now being played by Opera simply as a large, fixed-location mobile device. That means 'no user-serviceable adjustments inside', along with minimal creature comforts native to the browser. Much of this is the result of the consumer commoditization of browsers (along with all things computer-related) that has occurred over the years in nearly all browser designs. Genuine configurability in a browser is fast becoming an endangered life-form.

Well said and I have to agree, how can you blame the browser creators for the market demand changing and then them changing to meet the demand? You can't.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to howardfine

Premium Member

to howardfine
Opera FIRED all their loyal, long time 20 years plus engineers and you praise them? Opera is Google since 12.17 and nothing a discerning computer user would touch. I don't use the garbage that ignorant of computers users love but obviously you must.
Mele20

1 recommendation

Mele20 to skj91

Premium Member

to skj91
said by skj91:

But the result is what always happens when the lemmings get their hands on stuff. Knowledgeable, discerning folks simply eventually stop using what once was designed for thinking, discerning people. In the case of computers it means these folks (the brains) stop using computers. The mess is eventually left to the lemmings who made the mess and are so ignorant they don't even know they made a mess or that they are lemmings.

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine to Mele20

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

Opera FIRED all their loyal, long time 20 years plus engineers and you praise them?

As a business owner, I perfectly understand why a company needs to let people go. I would never blame one for doing so if they were no longer needed to develop or support Presto. To do so may put the company under and everyone would lose their job.

Now that wouldn't be very smart, would it?
Expand your moderator at work
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to howardfine

Premium Member

to howardfine

Re: [Need Info] So many browsers I don't even know where to start, do you?

Everyone DID lose their job. Opera ceased being Opera when it became a clone of Google Chrome. If Opera could not survive as Opera then the company should have shut down as that is what effectively happened anyway. NONE of the longtime Opera supporters and lovers remained after Opera gutted their own company.

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine

said by Mele20:

NONE of the longtime Opera supporters and lovers remained after Opera gutted their own company.

There are currently 350 million Opera users and Opera is the fifth most used browser behind Chrome, Firefox, IE and Safari.

And, again, if you think Opera is a clone, it only shows you don't know how browsers work.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

No, it just shows that you think a NAME is the actual product. You lack experience in this world to think so naively.