spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

[Wired] Switch style confusion

I just ordered the SE4008 switch so I'll see it sometime soon I hope. I've seen across the internet and Amazon that there seems to be two different styles of the SE4008 switch. This confuses me as to why. »www.wegotserved.com/wp-c ··· ch-1.jpg verses »www.wegotserved.com/wp-c ··· ch-5.jpg. The slimmer one does not have a power switch and has ventilation holes on the top where the thicker one does have a power switch and has no ventilation holes on the top. Is there something I should be aware of? Linksys' website only shows the thicker version.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

Bill_MI

MVM

What jumped out at me was the change in air flow for heat. That's quite a difference in a stackable design (in fact, the thin one doesn't look very stackable!). So I went googling to see if there was support for this and found some: »www.pcworld.com/article/ ··· tch.html

I'm betting they had to dump the old design FAST for the new router. On the other hand, the best deals could be the old design still in stock. That's probably ok, if you don't stack 'em.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

But the problem is both are considered the same brand new SE4008 switch, so there isn't an old design/new design. Even Linksys staff is baffled by this. Amazon shows both styles. Slim front stacked »ecx.images-amazon.com/im ··· 500_.jpg Slim back »ecx.images-amazon.com/im ··· 500_.jpg Thicker front stacked »ecx.images-amazon.com/im ··· 500_.jpg Thicker back »ecx.images-amazon.com/im ··· 500_.jpg Keep in mind Amazon is using the European model image with the power switch for some reason, but it's not a contributing factor to the difference in style since I've seen the thicker model without it.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

1 edit

Bill_MI

MVM

We'll have to see if anyone verifies the slim model was ever or currently shipped. It could have been OR those slim-model pictures are early promo shots that didn't get replaced in time. Lots of possibilities.

Again, this combo: »ecx.images-amazon.com/im ··· 500_.jpg looks like a heat problem waiting to happen. The marketeers seem to be running the company with lots of egg on their face (like the WRT1900AC fiasco about being open source). One thing for sure is the Linksys site has no trace of that slim model and only 1 hardware version is listed.

You'll know in a few days, right?

rod_pod
Premium Member
join:2003-08-10
Great Falls, MT

rod_pod to Mike Wolf

Premium Member

to Mike Wolf
I received mine today and it is the thicker one. No switch on the back and no vent holes on top, it's flat and the WRT1900AC sits on top perfectly. It's a beast

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Awesome, I was meaning to ask you about it but I didn't want to take the other thread off topic by posting this topic in there, figured a new thread might be best. Thanks for the info. When you first plug in the switch, do the port lights come on, or do you also have to press the light button in back? Some of the reports or reviews I read have conflicting information on which is the default mode.

rod_pod
Premium Member
Great Falls, MT

rod_pod

Premium Member

I did have to press the light button to turn the port lights on as they are off from the factory. That kind of surprised me.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 edit

Mike Wolf

Oh that's suprising to myself as well. My SE2800 is the opposite, just figured the SE4008 would be the same to prevent the following reason. Unassuming customer plugs in the router, connects ethernet cables to it, and the corresponding port lights don't come on. They might think something's wrong and contact tech support unnecessarily. Although the FAQ on the support page does mention the default functionality I discovered today. »kb.linksys.com/Linksys/u ··· ntl.xml& Thanks for the info.
Mike Wolf

4 edits

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf to Bill_MI

to Bill_MI
Click for full size
Yup UPS brought it today, sat in the house like a good boy and was very patient lol Yup it's the thicker one just like I thought. It's literally been placed on display like a centerpiece. It looks and works amazing. Beast is an understatement. It will change your life.
I took some cruddy pictures on short notice so please excuse the mess.

rod_pod
Premium Member
Great Falls, MT

rod_pod

Premium Member

Does yours have a power switch on the back? Just curious, mine does not.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

said by rod_pod:

Does yours have a power switch on the back? Just curious, mine does not.

Mine is shipped and I'm getting it this Friday The ones with the power switch are the European models. The ones to the States do not have a power switch.

rod_pod
Premium Member
Great Falls, MT

1 recommendation

rod_pod

Premium Member

Thanks lordpuffer. I was wondering why some photos show a power switch and others do not. Mine does not have a power switch. You will enjoy your SE4008, it not only works great but it is a perfect match for the WRT 1900AC.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to rod_pod

to rod_pod
Nope no power switch. Kinda confused because the WRT1900AC does and according to Linksys sales department via online chat it's not supposed to.
Mike Wolf

Mike Wolf to lordpuffer

to lordpuffer
My switch runs so cool it's crazy. I woulda thought it'd at least get warm under a heavy load but it's ice cold even on the bottom. I like how the light button function is sticky and holds it's function even during a power restart. It's literally the best switch ever. I'd love to find out if they'll come out with a 16 port version. Case is large enough I think to do it. Would be great for businesses in the market. I'd also love to find out what other products in the WRT they have coming down the line. Anyone have an inkling of an idea?

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

That's great to hear. I can't wait until tomorrow to get mine. I'm not going to stack the two together, but like you, I'm going to keep the switch separate. I ordered two 10' Cat 6 Ethernet Cables from Monoprice to hook it up (one to the router and another for a device to the switch....I only have 2 devices that I'm going to use the switch for right now.......that will increase in the future).

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Enjoy your switch, you're gonna love it. It's just so amazing.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer to Mike Wolf

Premium Member

to Mike Wolf
Got the SE4008 switch today. Hooked it up....It's a beast!

BTW, front light switch was off by default and no power on/off switch.