All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
royrogers
join:2012-10-17

royrogers

[HELP] Cisco SF200-24P firmware upgrade question

I have an SF200-24P running FW 1.2.7.76 and boot 1.1.0.6. I wanted to update the firmware in hopes it would help with a weird problem I'm having with a UC320 phone system so I downloaded from Cisco Sx200_FW_Boot_1.4.0.88.zip.

The instructions say if I'm upgrading from something earlier than 1.3.5, I first need to upgrade the device image to "to image 1.3.5 or 1.3.7 and the latest boot file (1.4.0.x)."

In the ZIP file I downloaded from Cisco are two files:

sx200_boot-13506.rfb
sx200_fw-14088.ros

Are they just saying I first need to load the sx200_boot-13506.rfb, then load the
sx200_fw-14088.ros file?

Or do I need to download a previous copy of the firmware?

I'm unclear on the process of getting my switch with old firmware updated to the newest firmware. Not a big user of Cisco gear and want to get it right. So any tips would be appreciated.
markysharkey
Premium Member
join:2012-12-20
united kingd

markysharkey

Premium Member

Seems pretty clear to me.
Your switch is running software version 1.2.7.76 which is earlier than 1.3.5. So you need to install firmware 1.3.5 or 1.3.7. I would do that first, then the boot image then finally the latest firmware. But take backups first!
There should be release notes for each firmware version so before I do anything I would have a read and see if they mention the UC320 or similar (IE any other UC device) before proceeding.

What issue are you having with the UC and the SG exactly?
royrogers

royrogers

(1) But why the two files in the 1.4.0.88 file I downloaded, one of them named sx200_boot-13506.rfb? That is tossing me for a loop.

(2) The UC320 is connected to a SIP trunk only, there are no POTS lines connected. When someone is dialing a call at an extension, a call transferred to that same extension by the AA or someone else in the office will become a third party on the call for about 15-25 seconds before being sent to the voicemail. Really weird.

I'm hope that the fact that all the phones are connected to the SF200-24P (for POE) and that the phones run on a VLAN is contributing to this problem, and that a firmware update will fix it.

I've tried posting at the Cisco UC300 support site, but I get zero responses. And this is a pretty serious problem. I've tried calling, and Cisco wants me to buy a support contract. Well, seeing as Cisco has discontinued the UC300 and UC500 series and withdrawn from the SMB market for telephony, I'm think that is throwing good money after bad and I'd be better off building a FreePBX box. But first I was hoping to try the firmware.
markysharkey
Premium Member
united kingd

markysharkey

Premium Member

1. I imagine the file with the word boot in is is the boot file, and the file with fw in it is the firmware...

2. Got the config for the DN's noan settings? If memory serves the UC series was CME sitting on some proprietary hardware so I'm hoping to see something familiar!

I doubt the switch firmware is the cause of this issue. The switch won't care one jot what in the frames it's forwarding. It sounds like a call routing issue which points firmly to the UC.
royrogers

royrogers

DN's noan settings?

If it IS the UC320, there is nothing that can be done. There is no interface available other than the built-in flash interface. Apparently Cisco employees have some sort of additional access but it has been blocked for everyone else.

That is why I want to do the firmware on the switch, my hands have otherwise been tied.
markysharkey
Premium Member
united kingd

markysharkey

Premium Member

DN = Directory Number
noan = no answer
When configuring these parameters with CLI these are the abbreviations used. I believe the UC has a console port so a look at the CLI output may prove beneficial and possibly easier than screen grabs of the GUI.

I'd be genuinely amazed if it was the switch because all it is doing is moving traffic around. Other than adding some layer 2 info (DOT1Q tag, MAC address and QoS markings) it isn't going to be making any alterations to the frame that could cause the issues you are having.
BUT... never say never and I will stand to be corrected.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to royrogers

MVM

to royrogers
Did you try the maintain and operate guides here? There's a section about updating the firmware that should give you a place to start...

My 00000010bits

Regards