spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Lucaaaa
@69.156.97.x

Lucaaaa

Anon

[Internet] Bell doesn't guarantee stable pings

So lately, my internet has had unstable pings intermittently. Normally a ping to google would yield approximately ~20 ms however, as of lately I have been starting to get a few random spikes, ultimately causing my ping to spike around ~300-1000 ms for a period of time. It's actually really irritating as it prevents me from watching streams or play games lag-free.

I decided to call Bell about this and was directed to tech support. I called hoping to find some answers but the only thing I got from the rather unhelpful tech is apparently that Bell does NOT guarantee good ping, only bandwidth. I was rather shocked and frankly very disappointed to hear that as I feel that internet service providers should be somewhat held responsible for this however all I was getting was, "there's nothing you can do about it, deal with it". I'm pretty dissatisfied with my result and was wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue or were aware that Bell is not obligated to provide a stable ping (aka, a stable connection).

Just had to vent that as I'm still rather annoyed at the whole situation.

Nitra
join:2011-09-15
Montreal

Nitra

Ummmmm.... No isp on the planet guarantees pings.
There are entirely too many variables outside of the isps control.

As for your issue, rather than looking only at pings, you need to look at what could/would cause it. There are others here with access to tools that can check your stats etc, or you can post in the direct forums.
OHSrob
join:2011-06-08

2 edits

OHSrob to Lucaaaa

to Lucaaaa
Post in direct support and have them check your line stats. They can also set a monitor on your line for a 24 hour period in lantern. Just in case they cant see an issue when you post.

There was a time where bell use to provide this information in their modems diagnostics page.

If your SNR (signal to noise ratio) is dropping below 6dbm and you start to get a high bit error rate in the form of CRC errors for a brief period of time it might explain what your experiencing.

With ADSL1 you should ideally have a SNR of 12 or higher to maintain perfect connectivity in all conditions.

I once had a similar issue when I was in high school after my parents moved to a new house.

The issue turned out to be with the inside wiring of my parents house that was causing the high bit error rate.

I disconnected a wire from my distribution bic block that ran in the middle of a large bundle of electrical wiring for about 45 feet as well as installed a makeshift pots splitter (2 filters daisy chained plugged in the demarc test port and a new cat6 run to my modem.)

Doing all that brought me from a 8DB SNR on my downstream to a 18DB SNR and dropped my attenuation as well.

edit: I forgot to mention if you switch from fastpath to interleave it will also reduce your bit error rate. But will increase your overall ping.

edit: Also if Kovy is still around but he has been instrumental in assisting me in fixing many bell users problems when I worked at a computer store. (Customers use to call me after the Bell India support line couldn't help them)

Between him and DeadPool they have probably saved bell from rolling out a service tech for hundreds of people with issues.

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to Lucaaaa

Premium Member

to Lucaaaa
Bell would only possibly guarentee anything within there own network, on a residential connection Bell doesn't really guarentee anything as speeds are listed as "up to"; post a traceroute to google.
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805 to Lucaaaa

to Lucaaaa
It would be physically impossible to guarantee ping times to every single address in the world. Bell would only be able to guarantee the latency within their own network but not with what happens on googles end.

You've posted numerous times on here complaining about Bell and your gaming disruptions. Perhaps it is time you found another hobby because anyone else who games deals with the same ISP issues you do and doesn't complain.

Nitra
join:2011-09-15
Montreal

Nitra

One really shouldn't use icmp as a benchmark for Internet performance now anyway.
Most core routers de-prioritize icmp. That said, 300 ms to google is unusual, if you're not using Bell for dns, it's possible that you are being routed to a non-local server on top of your other issues.