IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Verizon should just buy Sprint

From what I'm reading on here Sprint is in such bad shape that they should just sell to VZ.

AnonDude
@97.95.152.x

AnonDude

Anon

said by IowaCowboy:

From what I'm reading on here Sprint is in such bad shape that they should just sell to VZ.

If the government wasn't going to let At&T buy T-Moible or let Sprit by T-Moible, then no way they are letting Verizon buy Sprint. Not that Verizon would want Sprint anyway.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

IPPlanMan to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
Seriously?
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy

Sarcasm laced reply

said by IowaCowboy:

Yeah, then AT&T should buy T-Mobile, and Verizon could merge with AT&T under a united Comcast / Disney / Newscorp brand. I couldn't possibly imagine anyone objecting to that either.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Re: Verizon should just buy Sprint

So what is the general consensus on Sprint, doing good; profitable, gaining subscribers or losing subscribers.

I kind of just glance over the headlines on Sprint but when I read them it's always not so good news. They just closed their kiosks at Holyoke Mall and Enfield Square, they only have an agent at Eastfield Mall.

I follow the headlines on VZ, AT&T and Comcast more than Sprint and T-Mobile.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned)

Everyone hates Sprint loves Tmobile.
But Sprint is still owned by Softbank and is not going away soon.

tc1uscg
join:2005-03-09
Gulfport, MS

1 recommendation

tc1uscg to AnonDude

to AnonDude
said by AnonDude :

Not that Verizon would want Sprint anyway.

Sprint is turning into the Yugo of the wireless industry. Car smells new when you're leaving the lot but by the time you get to the next stop light, it's falling apart. Just sayin.. Verizon is smarter then that. They don't need Sprints network now. They rather just see Sprint burn down.. as would a lot of it's customers.
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora to nonymous

Premium Member

to nonymous
My family moved from Sprint to Virgin Mobile (a Sprint owned company) and now to Freedompop. We don't use customer service much, and our monthly cost of $0 for cell phone service on a Sprint MVNO is tough to beat. In my area, most of the time, it's LTE.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to nonymous

Premium Member

to nonymous
So Verizon is the Lexus of carriers and you're paying premium for the privilege.

My cell phone bill is nearly $300 per month but my mother chips in towards it because a few of the devices on the account belong to mom and grandma. Cell phones aren't cheap anymore, one of the reasons I got rid of the house phone and I'm doing fine without it. I don't miss it either. $40 a month in my pocket.

It's those Edge payments that send a bill through the roof but that's the necessary evil of owning the latest Apple devices. Or take the subsidy and be stuck with the device for two years. At least with Edge you have a more manageable payment when you upgrade, at 75 percent of the device, you might as well pay it off and keep the device.

As for the alarm, I'm leasing a radio box to transmit the signals to the central station.
bigballer
join:2014-09-25

bigballer

I would say BMW of the the carriers.

BMW's options are extremely overpriced. Sure a 3 series starts at $33k, but for a comparable starting lexus is 250, you would have to spent at least $42k for one that is comparably equipped.

tc1uscg
join:2005-03-09
Gulfport, MS

tc1uscg

Good Point
floydb1982
join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA

floydb1982 to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
Why would Verizon want that old worn out worthless bucket of useless bolts. If Sprint didn't have Verizon to count on for roaming then there would be no Sprint today. Sprints own network is some what of a joke when you compare there coverage to Verizon. T-Mobile is doing way better than Sprint is right now.

Rambo76098
join:2003-02-21
Columbus, OH

Rambo76098 to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
Or just buy one lightly used off eBay for way less than retail price. I'm on Verizon with unlimited data and won't be upgrading thru them. Worked great for me so far, got a Moto X on the cheap. I'll start looking for a Note 4 in 3-6 months.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to floydb1982

Premium Member

to floydb1982
said by floydb1982:

Why would Verizon want that old worn out worthless bucket of useless bolts. If Sprint didn't have Verizon to count on for roaming then there would be no Sprint today. Sprints own network is some what of a joke when you compare there coverage to Verizon. T-Mobile is doing way better than Sprint is right now.

It's the customer base that's the asset, they would add how many million customers to their flock, divest several million to AT&T/T-Mobile to please the DOJ and switch the existing customers over to the VZ network.

In the process they'd acquire a bunch of accounts receivable. Then they could pull a Nextel and shut down the Sprint network but the handsets could still be used as they are both CDMA based soon to be LTE.

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium Member
join:2004-02-14
EC/SETX SWLA

atuarre to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
Or you could just buy the device full price and you do not have to deal with those Edge payments or the contact subsidies.
atuarre

atuarre to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
They would likely have to divest spectrum also. But that will not happen, one because it won't clear regulatory hurdles and two, Verizon is likely tapped out for a while after the Vodafone deal.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to atuarre

Premium Member

to atuarre
Most people couldn't afford the device without edge or a contract subsidy. I'd rather have Edge at 0 percent APR than use my credit card at 15.99 percent APR. Edge is basically same as cash.
bigballer

bigballer

That's because of the expensive nature of CDMA phones and how much verizon locks down their phones.

For instance, a brand new nexus 5 is $299, a brand new one plus one is $299 as well.

A moto g is $189 and so on and so fourth.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Try $849 for an iPhone 6 Plus 64 GB.

And on the Android side how much are those popular Galaxy phones.

Phones don't come cheap.
bigballer

bigballer

Yet a 5.5" nexus 5 64 gb is $150 less than an iphone 6+

Phones are cheap, depending upon where you go. GSM phones that is. An LTE moto g is $189. It simply cannot be made cheaper than that.