uniqs
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

Luggage repair, rubber bumpers

A friend asked me about the best way to repair/replace those rubberized protectors (not the hard plastic ones) on the outside of his luggage. They are like rubberized coatings on top of the seams, maybe 6 inches long that wrap from the side of luggage to the bottom; and about the diameter of a thin pencil.

I first thought of Sugru and then after reading some review and usages decided it might not adhere very well. Then I though of ShoeGoo, but not sure how easy that stuff is to work with. Epoxy? Anyway, I'm looking for ideas here that would be durable and not peel off too easily.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

Whatever you use is going to have to be somewhat flexible such as ShoeGoo. Something that cures hard such as epoxy will break as the luggage is moved around and flexes. Would it be possible to attach to the ends of the bumpers through the case itself using either rivets or screws of some kind?
bbear2
Premium Member
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

Have you ever worked with shoegoo? I'm wondering how easy (or not) it is to shape. Will Sugru stick to fabric?

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

Coma to bbear2

Premium Member

to bbear2

Take it to a shoe repair shop and explain what you need.

mchldpy1
join:2007-07-31
San Bernardino, CA

mchldpy1 to bbear2

to bbear2
I've used GOOP, Shoe-Goo, E6000 etc... in the rc airplane hobby on foam planes . The best ALL-AROUND Glue I've found is Quick Grip by Beacon. $3.99 for a 2oz tube @ walmart and most craft/hobby stores, the big sewing/craft/hobby stores have it but not as cheap as wallyworld. This glue remains flexible, is waterproof, paintable, UV resistant and is acetone based so it cures by evaporation. If you coat both surfaces stick together and pull apart about 3 time in a 60 second time frame it will act like contact cement, when you stick it the last time it's pretty much there. It dries clear and when you get it on your fingers just rub them together (even with wet glue) and it will ball up and come right off. It doesn't smell near as bad as the other glues. RThis stuff is the best thing since sliced cheese. Epoxy will become too brittle for those corners, use something flexible.

michael clyde
bbear2
Premium Member
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

The Quick Grip sounds interesting, but I think I need something to rebuild the rubber coating that was cut away - will Quick Grip do that? Out of the others you mentioned GOOP, Shoe-Goo, E6000, which do you think would adhere to fabric better and be more rubbery?

mchldpy1
join:2007-07-31
San Bernardino, CA

mchldpy1

In my opinion, Quick Grip will adhere to the fabric and stay because it stays somewhat flexible after drying plus if you coat the outside (your rubbery coating) you can paint it black afterwards. I used this glue to make a hem on a sheet to make a curtain so I could slide the curtain open and closed and that was 13 months ago... still holding. I attached the drain pipe to the bottom of my kitchen sink because the nut stripped out and was leaking, let it dry before getting it wet and it's been there 6 mths. You can use this like contact cement (like I described earlier) or use it like regular glue, put pieces together and wait till dry. YOU CAN DO MOST ANYTHING WITH THIS GLUE AND IT'S ONLY 4 BUCKS. GOOP, E6000 smell really bad and E6000 takes a long time to dry.

michael clyde