dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
acegolfer
join:2012-12-24

acegolfer

VoIP/chat in mesh network?

I'm looking for an android app that allows communication between devices without using any internet/access points for a range of 0.5 kilometers.

I have checked out firechat, serval mesh but they require internet access.
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

1 recommendation

Stewart

I doubt that you can get 500 m peer to peer Wi-Fi range, even in an open field. Well, maybe if both devices are held high, being careful that the antennas are not covered with hands, bodies not in the way, etc.

If you can get the network to work, VoIP is the easy part. CSipSimple, Zoiper, etc. can all be configured to not register and call directly to an IP address.

IMO. just buy some cheap FRS walkie-talkies.

mgraves1
Premium Member
join:2004-04-05
Houston, TX

mgraves1 to acegolfer

Premium Member

to acegolfer
Perhaps look into The Village Telco. They created some low-cost custom wifi hardware that was intended to create a mesh network. Each device has an analog jack for connection to a POTS phone. Any device connected to a trunk could make that trunk available to the entire village for PSTN access.

The idea was to allow poor villages in the third world to setup a DIY internal telephone infrastructure. Also to enable ad hoc networks for first responders after hurricanes and such like.

The whole thing was open source, based upon open protocols and dead common chipsets. There was a derivative effort that was using Android phones as transponders in the peer-to-peer mesh.
mike8675309
join:2009-01-05
Farmington, MN

mike8675309 to acegolfer

to acegolfer
Sounds like you need to setup an ad-hoc network. Once the network is up, communication can be through anything that doesn't need the net. Might be able to cobble something up, or if you can get a little linux box with Asterisk running to connect to the network that the android phones create.
»play.google.com/store/ap ··· zcGFuIl0.