Search similar:

uniqs

paintref
Look, I see stars
join:2003-02-21
Houston, TX

paintref

Tips to keep a car running longer...

I just got a 2006 Nissan Altima which just ticked over to 133K miles.

Besides oil changes, does anyone have any general tips on keeping a car on the road longer? I have been told regular oil changes is what keeps a vehicle on the road longer.

This isn't the first high mileage vehicle I had. Had a 1995 Pathfinder which ran good and I kept up with oil changes.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_

Premium Member

My dad used Hyperlube oil in his 2006 Sentra (1 qt per oil change)

he sold it at 210,000 miles (he bought it at 5 miles) the engine was in perfect shape when sold with zero work done to it in the 210k miles...

Never had a problem with the engine or transmission only "normal wear" items such as the Belt, motor mounts, batteries and tires have been changed.
PrntRhd
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

PrntRhd to paintref

Premium Member

to paintref
Fluid changes on time per the manufacturers specified intervals with the Japanese vehicles. Keep air pressure up in tires. Keep the wheels aligned. Don't drive in flooded conditions.
Don't get into crashes.
Use quality replacement parts when needed.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to paintref

to paintref
#1, by a large margin is don't get into an accident. I know that sometimes is not doable, but I have a feeling some people drive in a way that make them more accident prone.

#2 do just enough maintenance to prevent issues due to negligence -- in my case, that means 5k or 10k oil changes, 100 - 150k ATF changes, brake pad replacement before metal-to-metal contact, occasional brake fluid flushes until it runs clear, etc.

#3 prevent rusting out

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
GTA

digitalfutur to paintref

Premium Member

to paintref
Run it to full operating temperature at least 5 days per week.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

While in theory it's a good advice, it may not be feasible, or just too costly for the benefits.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to paintref

Premium Member

to paintref
1) Change oil no later than 5k miles
2) Change fluids (tranny, power steering, etc.)
3) For the love of god don't jump in the car and go. Turn the key, wait for the RPM's to settle down, then go.

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

1 recommendation

hortnut to paintref

to paintref
Keep your ears open, if something does not sound right determine when the sound shows itself. Freeway at 55, 65, 75, accelerating, decelerating, and intown at x mph and also where it is and the notice is coming from. Have it checked out and do not wait.

If your hear a big clunk every time you make a right turn check the trunk and make sure the bowling ball is secured. That is a true story. Happened to my Uncle years ago and he is a pretty with it guy. Even the shop went for a ride with him and were scratching their heads on that. Last thing they did was open the trunk.

Open hood often and do a good look over, get used to seeing how it looks when all is normal. After driving for a while and after shutting off engine, use your nose for unusual smells, especially in the engine bay. And around tires and wheels.

Do the same with the engine running. Get used to its normal smells.
fixrman
From a broken heart to a hole in the sky
Premium Member
join:2003-02-10
Hatboro, PA
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

1 recommendation

fixrman to paintref

Premium Member

to paintref
Since nearly every vehicle I have ever owned has has had high mileage, I can offer some guidance. Also consider this is coming from someone who made good money and a living from people who DID NOT perform regular maintenance.

Regular changing of engine oil is key. People can choose either Dino oil, synth blend or full syn. Whatever you choose, do it when it is due. The mileage isn't a hard fast rule. I would suggest though that the folks who do more frequent changes have the most long-term success. I do not exceed 5,000 miles. Whatever is decided upon: if the OE manufacturer says the car takes full synthetic, that is what you use. Do not cheap out and use regular oil if the specifications call for full synthetic oil.

Rotate tires every 6,000 miles if you can. Keep tire pressure set properly. Change brake fluid every three years or 30k. Coolant should be changed at 60k. Power steering fluid, 60k. Transmission fluid should not be changed later than 90k. 4x4 vehicles should change transfer box and diff fluids at 30k.

These are very general guidelines. Folks are free to do as they choose, but I can tell you that failure to perform regular maintenance creates opportunity for the guys I the service bays. Breakdowns are expensive and inconvenient. Plus it might involve a tow truck and missing an important event.
Dodge
Premium Member
join:2002-11-27

Dodge to hortnut

Premium Member

to hortnut
said by hortnut:

If your hear a big clunk every time you make a right turn check the trunk and make sure the bowling ball is secured. That is a true story. Happened to my Uncle years ago and he is a pretty with it guy. Even the shop went for a ride with him and were scratching their heads on that. Last thing they did was open the trunk.

Years ago, had a fuel pump replaced on one of my cars. Pick up the car from the shop, start driving, the car stinks of gasoline. Back to the shop, fuel tank comes back off, everything is triple checked and re-assembled. Start driving, stinks of gasoline. Back to the shop. They ask to keep the car overnight as it was close to the end of the day, I say fine, let me get some stuff out of the trunk, open the trunk, there is a can of gasoline, that I completely forgot about, leaking all over the place. The shop owner was barely restraining himself from not kicking my ass for making them take the tank down 2nd time.

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua to WK2

Premium Member

to WK2
said by WK2:

3) For the love of god don't jump in the car and go. Turn the key, wait for the RPM's to settle down, then go.

It has been advised, when starting the vehicle cold, to wait 30 seconds then start driving about 25mph to warm up the vehicle.

When I do this, I wait until the needle is above C and then go to traveling speeds.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka

MVM

You live in Sacramento. It doesn`t get cold there.

Boooost
@151.190.40.x

Boooost to paintref

Anon

to paintref
Biggest problem with the Altima is the continuously-variable transmission (CVT). If that goes, you're looking at a $4000 replacement. Not sure if the 2006 has a CVT.
PrntRhd
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

PrntRhd

Premium Member

But FYI, Nissan has extended the warranty on CVT equipped Nissans.
fixrman
Premium Member
Hatboro, PA
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

fixrman to Anonymous_

Premium Member

to Anonymous_
Your dad wasted his money. The longevity was due to proper maintenance, not the snake oil he put in.

The only way to know the engine was in "perfect shape" is to tear it down and measure tolerances with a micrometer. Did someone do that? No, I didn't think so.
fixrman

fixrman to Boooost

Premium Member

to Boooost
I don't know many transmissions in many models that are much cheaper than about $4,000, unless it is an older vehicle.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

1 recommendation

Doctor Olds to paintref

Premium Member

to paintref
said by paintref:

I just got a 2006 Nissan Altima which just ticked over to 133K miles.

I have been told regular oil changes is what keeps a vehicle on the road longer.

The life blood of every vehicle is the engine oil (plus filter) and other fluid/filter changes. Other than that, just repair other things as they come up and don't let little things grow into major repairs.
billydunwood
join:2008-04-23
united state

billydunwood to paintref

to paintref
Oil Changes regularly, obviously. Follow manufacturer service intervals(don't need to take it to the dealership though!) and Seafoam every now and then. I use seafoam through the brake booster line so the car can run it through the engine and clean it.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to paintref

Premium Member

to paintref
+1 on the sea foam. Change your oil right after use.
fixrman
Premium Member
Hatboro, PA

fixrman

Premium Member

Don't forget the aerodynamic wipers, Slick 50 and the little gizmo that plugs into the lighter for higher mileage. Oh, oh, oh! Also the magnetic fuel line clamp! all these things boosted my mileage 30%!!! [rollseyes]

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by fixrman:

Don't forget the aerodynamic wipers, Slick 50 and the little gizmo that plugs into the lighter for higher mileage. Oh, oh, oh! Also the magnetic fuel line clamp! all these things boosted my mileage 30%!!! [rollseyes]

And the Supercharger TurboNator that goes in the cold air intake.....

Gas Fuel Saver Supercharger TurboNator Air Intake Fan Blue
»www.ebay.com/itm/like/11 ··· ?lpid=82
billydunwood
join:2008-04-23
united state

billydunwood

said by Doctor Olds:

said by fixrman:

And the Supercharger TurboNator that goes in the cold air intake.....

Gas Fuel Saver Supercharger TurboNator Air Intake Fan Blue
»www.ebay.com/itm/like/11 ··· ?lpid=82

Even better, you have to get the full kit!
»www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-El ··· &vxp=mtr

shdesigns