IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Blackberry is Dead

I go to the Verizon Store all the time, the guys know me by name. They know I like Apple.

I don't think they have a BlackBerry on the sales floor. They'll upsell a basic flip phone to someone who tries to buy a BlackBerry, less likely the device will come back as buyers remorse equipment.
clone (banned)
join:2000-12-11
Portage, IN

clone (banned)

As a long-time BlackBerry user (2004-2012), I have to say that nothing can beat the old form factor, physical keyboard, and interface for messaging. Hands down, I'd take a BlackBerry anyday over touch keyboards and 6" screens for getting serious work done.

I remember pounding out pages-long email and documents on those keyboards. That would be unthinkable to me in the era of autocorrect and swype. Those are great for casual texting, you know, "where u at?" and whatnot.

Unfortunately, the business market has been relegated back into a niche. I carry both an Android and an iPhone, and while they are miles ahead of any BlackBerry device as far as overall functionality goes, there's still no substitute for the real thing. I understand why the average consumer wouldn't want an old dinosaur like the BB. But man, if you ever had to do real work on the go, you'd understand why some people still clamor for the good 'ole days.

Your example of salesmen putting their personal preferences ahead of the needs of their customers is exactly why the cell carriers need to shut down all their brick-and-mortar high pressure 2-year contract selling stores and just sell service, letting the market decide what's best for people. BlackBerry screwed the pooch, so to speak, but that doesn't mean there isn't money to be made catering to the business-centric market.

Let's hope Lenovo can save the brand, I, for one, would love to have a device that is as functional as an iPhone or Android with a decent physical keyboard, functional and secure messaging applications, and enterprise-level support and features.

cb14
join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL

cb14

said by clone:

As a long-time BlackBerry user (2004-2012), I have to say that nothing can beat the old form factor, physical keyboard, and interface for messaging. Hands down, I'd take a BlackBerry anyday over touch keyboards and 6" screens for getting serious work done.

I remember pounding out pages-long email and documents on those keyboards. That would be unthinkable to me in the era of autocorrect and swype. Those are great for casual texting, you know, "where u at?" and whatnot.

Unfortunately, the business market has been relegated back into a niche. I carry both an Android and an iPhone, and while they are miles ahead of any BlackBerry device as far as overall functionality goes, there's still no substitute for the real thing.

I could not agree more. There is nothing more idiotic than a touchscreen. Sometimes, the evolution takes a wrong turn.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ

batterup

Premium Member

said by cb14:

I could not agree more. There is nothing more idiotic than a touchscreen. Sometimes, the evolution takes a wrong turn.

As an old person I find tiny buttons difficult to use.
I swipe you left.
nony
Premium Member
join:2012-11-17
New York, NY

nony

Premium Member

Gentlepeople,

Every journalist, congressperson, and at large people, continue to carry a Blackberry today (that means today) -

And I am on a grandfathered plan. So eat your hearts out.

-nony

toro
join:2006-01-27
Scarborough, ON

toro to clone

to clone
+1

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to clone

Premium Member

to clone
Somebody has to sell the phones, and I like the choice between having a carrier subsidy or financing the device.

Either way BlackBerry is dead. They just don't want to sell a device that is going to end up returned. The last time I bought a blackberry I returned it and that was many years ago.
travelguy
join:1999-09-03
Bismarck, ND
Asus RT-AC68
Ubiquiti NSM5

travelguy to nony

to nony
said by nony:

Every journalist, congressperson, and at large people, continue to carry a Blackberry today (that means today

Not for long, I'm afraid. I work for a Fortune 50 company that is extremely security aware, and the last of the BB holdouts (myself being one) just received instructions to replace it with an iPhone or Galaxy. Both fully support S/Mime, remote wiping and management now.

Too bad, as the latest OS10.2 is actually very usable. I'll particularly miss the Workspace / Personal Space feature.
nony
Premium Member
join:2012-11-17
New York, NY

nony

Premium Member

said by travelguy:

Not for long, I'm afraid. I work for a Fortune 50 company that is extremely security aware, and the last of the BB holdouts (myself being one) just received instructions to replace it with an iPhone or Galaxy

Government will continue to be a holdout...

-nony