spc
Search similar:

uniqs

mikeymike
@198.202.203.x

mikeymike

Anon

[Internet] Fibe coming to Kingston????

Hey. I saw in the news in May that Fibe was supposed to be coming to Kingston this month. When I check my address they still don't show any service faster than DSL 5 mpbs. I live downtown so I would have expected the service in this area first? Does anyone know if this was cancelled?
hogtownhog
join:2013-08-23
Toronto, ON

hogtownhog

said by mikeymike :

Hey. I saw in the news in May that Fibe was supposed to be coming to Kingston this month. When I check my address they still don't show any service faster than DSL 5 mpbs. I live downtown so I would have expected the service in this area first? Does anyone know if this was cancelled?

As far as I know, Kingston is getting a complete FTTH overlay. When is this happening? Exactly when it's supposed to...

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to mikeymike

Premium Member

to mikeymike
The FTTH rollout is starting, they have already opened up a few of the areas for service however I'm not sure which areas or what the plan for the rest of them are.
jimmyfogg
join:2010-12-30

jimmyfogg

It's interesting having seen the news that Kingston was going to be the 1st city in Ontario to be fully FTTH, and getting really excited, then seeing techs installing a 7330 cabinet at Hwy 15 and Gore Rd. So much for FTTH. East side still gets no love.

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

There are other cities in Ontario that already are full FTTH; in northern Ontario Bell Aliant did FTTH in 7 cities and it advertising it as FibreOP

jimmyfogg
join:2010-12-30

jimmyfogg

Clearly, the media didn't get the memo:

»www.thewhig.com/2014/05/ ··· -to-city

"Kingston is the second municipality, following Quebec City, where Bell is deploying Fibre to the Home city-wide -- bringing high-speed fibre technology directly into homes and businesses."

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

In Ontario there are two "Bell's"; Bell Canada and Bell Aliant Regional Communications (BARC), Kingston is under Bell Canada whereas the north is under BARC. They release separate press releases however as they're technically two different companies however by the end of 2014 they privatization of Aliant should be complete and they'll both be under BCE.
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805 to jimmyfogg

to jimmyfogg
said by jimmyfogg:

It's interesting having seen the news that Kingston was going to be the 1st city in Ontario to be fully FTTH, and getting really excited, then seeing techs installing a 7330 cabinet at Hwy 15 and Gore Rd. So much for FTTH. East side still gets no love.

The east never gets any love because the city thinks no one lives East of division street except crack heads.

As for Bell's rollout, if it is anything like what happened in Ottawa, the suburbs and pretty much everything but downtown will be done first, then they will move to downtown. As for the east side of the city, I can't see anything North off princess/East of division getting ftth, probably just fttn. And if you're on the other side of the causeway, I doubt you'll see anything.

Again this is all my guessing, however I spent a few years in Kingston and this is what I envision.

oneandzero
join:2014-09-21
Kingston, ON

oneandzero

Definitely nothing coming east. When I cancelled bell they asked why. I told them 1/2 the price for 4x the speed from competition. The retention dept checked for upgrades coming to the area and he said there was nothing coming.
jumpingryan
join:2008-07-27
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan to JC_

to JC_
said by JC_:

In Ontario there are two "Bell's"; Bell Canada and Bell Aliant Regional Communications (BARC), Kingston is under Bell Canada whereas the north is under BARC. They release separate press releases however as they're technically two different companies however by the end of 2014 they privatization of Aliant should be complete and they'll both be under BCE.

I am affected by that. I was apparently Bell Aliant.... and now we are just Bell.

How does this merge affect the roll outs? More or less money for upgrades?

I have actually heard pros and cons, but many of them are just opinions.
btech805
Canada

btech805

There's no change in the way business will be done. Bell already owned the majority of shares in Bell aliant, all they've done is bought the rest of the company to take it private.

So when it will all be said and done, the same folks will be calling the shots
jumpingryan
join:2008-07-27
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan

That sort of answers my question.... However it was mainly of the decision to make it private.... What was the reason for that? Easier absorbition of the company?

techsfrom416
@206.47.249.x

techsfrom416

Anon

Thats great news! Loan outs to Kingston from 416E.

Jackorama
I Am Woman
Premium Member
join:2008-05-23
Kingston, ON

Jackorama to btech805

Premium Member

to btech805
said by btech805:

said by jimmyfogg:

The east never gets any love because the city thinks no one lives East of division street except crack heads.

As for Bell's rollout, if it is anything like what happened in Ottawa, the suburbs and pretty much everything but downtown will be done first, then they will move to downtown. As for the east side of the city, I can't see anything North off princess/East of division getting ftth, probably just fttn. And if you're on the other side of the causeway, I doubt you'll see anything.

Again this is all my guessing, however I spent a few years in Kingston and this is what I envision.

I'm midtown off Princess St. in the student area (not a student) and this week they have been marking off all the underground utilities on our street. We aren't due any construction, so I assume it's for Bell. Looks like they have marked off where one of the boxes are going in front of the house next to me.

And it might be why I received an email from Cogeco upgrading my services at the same price I'm paying from Express 10 to Express 15 with 95gb, which is good for me as I have not had any speed issues with them.
btech805
Canada

btech805

When I was a student at SLC, I always had speed issues with cogeco. I was on the west side though.

From what I've heard from the planning department, certain areas in Kingston were held up because the city wouldn't grant sidewalk /easements/rights of way for crossbox locations so they had to retool and put the boxes on the poles like we used to 50 years ago.

Jackorama
I Am Woman
Premium Member
join:2008-05-23
Kingston, ON

Jackorama

Premium Member

Being Kingston, I can see that happening.