CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to Gbcue

MVM

to Gbcue

Re: Why so much hype about Apple Pay?

I only know of it from TV commercials - I have never seen one used and I don't use it at all.
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope to GLIMMER

Premium Member

to GLIMMER
said by GLIMMER:

um amex is not excepted in card form or virtual at some retailers. There fees for backend processing are to high. I think you thought I was talking consumer side there. I have spent 30 cents on my wallet account with no problems.

I've been using Softcard for a couple of years now and never have AmEx Serve declined. I've also never hear anyone mention this happening to them. Keep in mind, Serve and tap to pay is different then using the AmEx physical card. What I _have_ seen many people post about is Wallet being refused at vending machines. The owners of those machines have told them it's because of Mastercards increase in micro-transaction fees.
said by GLIMMER:

you dont have to explain how wallet works I've used it for years and it really does work with all cards for the most part.

I mentioned it to show how it comes down to the same type of use as Softcard.
said by GLIMMER:

As for google wallet its easier to switch between payment cards. I have 3 debit cards and 2 credit cards loaded on my wallet I can just hit the tap and pay button and choose which card I want to use. I cant seem to find that on softcard with the serve amex. Hence why I said wallet was easier.

Sorry, I did not see where you had said it was easier... only that Softcard did not allow any card to be used. But yes, it would be easier to switch to any card using Google Wallet.
said by GLIMMER:

I have gotten lots of deals and a free 50 from google back when wallet was released other than that nothing and I'm ok with that. Softcard was just trying to get people to try it with those deals.

I find it odd when people mentioned something as a plus when Google gives it to them but when Softcard does its, "just trying to get people to try it". It's free stuff to try their app. I fail to see why this is a negative.
tcope

tcope to GLIMMER

Premium Member

to GLIMMER
said by GLIMMER:

Its amazing the amount of people that think apple came up with this.

Which certainly is the OP's point. But that is what Apple users will think and how the "media" will write the stories. I've read even more that put Apple Pay "against" Google Wallet. First, why is this even a comparison? Did they just run out of those worthless, "lets compare this phone to that phone" articles? What is there to compare between any tap to pay apps... you simply place your phone on the reader and that is that.
GLIMMER
join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

its all good tcope

you were lucky tho and were in the ISIS aka softcard testing area.

Softcard left a bad taste in my mouth because of the whole blocking google wallet thing. which att and verizon had no qualms about. Since they own it I figure I will take the free stuff and run.

Chubbzie
join:2014-02-11
Greenville, NC

Chubbzie to pjsutton

to pjsutton
Apple Pay = The mark of the beast?

gjrhine
join:2001-12-12
Pawleys Island, SC

gjrhine to GLIMMER

to GLIMMER
The difference is Apple Pay does not store funds so is only considered a payment enabler. It is not involved in the movement of funds. The regulatory burden is lifted from Apple and merchants and is on banks and payment networks. This is why merchants pay Apple NO FEES.
GLIMMER
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

nope apple has liability as your card is stored on there servers just encrypted. iTunes and passport.

»support.apple.com/kb/HT6534

Google wallet is just a payment enabler also. And google charges no fees. Unless your sending money like paypal which I look for apple to target next.

Apple pay is no different that google wallet or softcard. Its not like apple made something new. its just going to make adoption of tap to pay go quicker

gjrhine
Pawleys Island, SC

gjrhine

From your link - "Your card number and identity aren't shared with the merchant, and your actual card numbers aren't stored on your device or on Apple servers."

Apple has already said they are not interested in Paypal or Google-like money holding account business.

Again, Apple Pay where no card or number is known or shown or transmitted is much safer.
GLIMMER
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

just like apple said they weren't going to shut down beats streaming service. Apple is just setting up getting into the payment business.

gjrhine
Pawleys Island, SC

gjrhine

ok I hope so. Love the added convenience.
GLIMMER
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

Here is a big problem on apples part.

»money.cnn.com/2014/10/22 ··· id=HP_LN
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

Not a big deal BoA will fix it quickly enough. But I also don't get all this lathering of Apple Pay. I get the security thing, fine, but the people in the Apple forums have this shiny eyed orgasmic tone like the mass media when they talk about Apple Pay. I've been using it for a long time at Walgreens now. It's not even a little deal at this point.

I don't know if the Apple people and media are so stupid and self-absorbed that they can't envision that Apple didn't invent something or if they are belly-button starers that don't look around at the world and think the tap to pay terminals in all the stores were sent by magic beings to sit and look pretty.

gjrhine
Pawleys Island, SC

gjrhine to GLIMMER

to GLIMMER
If you have never seen a bug in a new system of the size and scope you have never laid down a line of code.
GLIMMER
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

oh i have seen plenty of bugs. but this system was tested for over a year and they didnt catch it? There are always going to be bugs but it seems apple has a problem with certain things with the 8.0 release that was in beta for what 6 months.

android has seen plenty of bugs. but if your getting charged its a hard pill to swallow.
GLIMMER

GLIMMER to 67845017

to 67845017
said by 67845017:

Not a big deal BoA will fix it quickly enough. But I also don't get all this lathering of Apple Pay. I get the security thing, fine, but the people in the Apple forums have this shiny eyed orgasmic tone like the mass media when they talk about Apple Pay. I've been using it for a long time at Walgreens now. It's not even a little deal at this point.

I don't know if the Apple people and media are so stupid and self-absorbed that they can't envision that Apple didn't invent something or if they are belly-button starers that don't look around at the world and think the tap to pay terminals in all the stores were sent by magic beings to sit and look pretty.

just like one of my students here brought up an iPhone and said look i have a 4.7 inch screen. So I pulled out a nexus 4 and said this happen 2 years ago.

gjrhine
Pawleys Island, SC

gjrhine to GLIMMER

to GLIMMER
The closest system I have seen (of any size to speak of) without many bugs is the IBM mainframe operating system.

But haters are going to hate.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

And shillers are going to shill.

gjrhine
Pawleys Island, SC

gjrhine

And fortunately shareholders get rich.
Expand your moderator at work
GLIMMER
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER to gjrhine

to gjrhine

Re: Why so much hype about Apple Pay?

yelp we are all just pawns in the game called life.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned) to gjrhine

to gjrhine
Ooops, looks like my response to you got douched away. Ahh well. Long live Steve!!

Chubbzie
join:2014-02-11
Greenville, NC

Chubbzie to gjrhine

to gjrhine
said by gjrhine:

IBM mainframe operating system

Which one?

gjrhine
Pawleys Island, SC

gjrhine

MVS on

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia to DarkSithPro

Premium Member

to DarkSithPro
said by DarkSithPro:

said by pjsutton:

Google and Android had Google Wallet out WAY before Apple Pay - and yet the media is acting like Apple Pay is the best thing since sliced bread.

I know that the media typically goes ga-ga over anything Apple, anyway, but this time it really bothers me because they are acting like it's a brand new concept. It's not!

Probably because Google wallet was severely hindered by the greedy cellular carriers and Google wanted to spy on every purchase you make and the banks said hell no. In cause you haven't noticed, on Android devices your cellular company likes to install useless and inferior software that costs money, where a free app that is designed and polished 100 times better is available. In the Apple ecosystem Apple doesn't play that game and the carriers don't have any say so in what goes into your phone.

Order a Nexus device directly from Google or any unlocked GSM/LTE phone from overseas. Problem solved.

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium Member
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105
ARRIS ONT1000GJ4
EnGenius EAP1250

rchandra to tcope

Premium Member

to tcope
Actually, now it's even weirder than that. I was working perfectly fine with my SE. Then Google dropped Wallet support for it in favor of a software, virtual SE. So now those tablets and phones with NFC that lacks a SE can use Wallet, but I can't. Go figure.
GLIMMER
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

Nope Google did it to get around the carriers. Nothing more

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

1 recommendation

Hayward0 to pjsutton

Premium Member

to pjsutton
said by pjsutton:

Google and Android had Google Wallet out WAY before Apple Pay - and yet the media is acting like Apple Pay is the best thing since sliced bread.

I know that the media typically goes ga-ga over anything Apple, anyway, but this time it really bothers me because they are acting like it's a brand new concept. It's not!

Because its CrApple.... and unthinking dumb asses that can't get enough of Idol and the Kardasion's wait in lines for days for something better but still inferior... so of course media gobbles it up...they love uncritical zombie eyeballs.

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3

Premium Member

Two drugstores, CVS and Riteaid have banned it. In a way, I don't blame them.
I think they have their own loyalty cards like Walgreens and don't want to share with Apple.

If your info can be sold to competitors, I'll bet a lot of stores will not be happy. The stores that accept others coupons might not mind. Here, it's craft stores.
Joanne, Hobby Lobby, and Michaels will accept each others coupons.

BTW- Palm had a pay system when Apple was just making computers. Not as advanced, but it was there. Palm had IR rather than NFC. What goes around, comes around.

gjrhine
Pawleys Island, SC

gjrhine

Payment systems are way different than loyalty cards.

What info sold to competitors? What are you talking about?
GLIMMER
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER to carpetshark3

to carpetshark3
Cvs banned what? I used it the other day. Gw tho. But my buddy used Apple pay. Loyalty cards have never been ofc enabled