spc
Search similar:

uniqs

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

haroldo

Apple Pay...anyone buy anything yet?

I set it up but haven't been to any stores (avoid them like the plague...I love Amazon Prime!)
Just wondering how it's been going. Is it easy to find merchants with the proper equipment? Any issues?
Thanks!

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

I'd love to try it, the NFC terminals are everywhere here in Toronto.

Sadly Apple butchered the ApplePay launch by limiting it to the US.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo to haroldo

MVM

to haroldo
I tried at Jack In The Box last night not realizing they are not on the program yet. But, I held my phone near their terminal and Passbook opened up with my cards, etc. Just couldn't actual complete the transaction.

haroldo
USA

haroldo

Friend just told me he used it at a soda machine

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to Nezmo

Premium Member

to Nezmo
said by Nezmo:

I tried at Jack In The Box last night not realizing they are not on the program yet. But, I held my phone near their terminal and Passbook opened up with my cards, etc. Just couldn't actual complete the transaction.

They don't need to be on the official Apple list, their NFC terminals just have to work.

Nezmo
MVM
Coppell, TX

Nezmo

MVM

said by HiVolt:

said by Nezmo:

They don't need to be on the official Apple list, their NFC terminals just have to work.

That's what I thought. Anyway, it could not process the payment. Kept telling me on my phone. My card is fully verified.

gjrhine
join:2001-12-12
Pawleys Island, SC

gjrhine to haroldo

to haroldo

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· =lumbjoh

crazyk4952
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
united state

crazyk4952

Premium Member

That video makes ApplePay look pretty cumbersome to use. I'm pretty sure that using an actual credit card at McDonald's is faster.

haroldo
USA

haroldo

said by crazyk4952:

That video makes ApplePay look pretty cumbersome to use. I'm pretty sure that using an actual credit card at McDonald's is faster.

...didn't need to tape the first 45 seconds...ordering at McDonald's hasn't changed much in 70 years

rjackal
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Plymouth, MI

rjackal to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
Jason Snell used it at Whole Foods and found it very easy:
»sixcolors.com/post/2014/ ··· cieries/

Nezmo
MVM
Coppell, TX

Nezmo to HiVolt

MVM

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

said by Nezmo:

Found this:
»support.apple.com/kb/HT6 ··· le=en_US

"Some stores might have this symbol on their card readers and point of sale terminals, but they might not be currently set up to accept contactless payments including Apple Pay. At the current time, this includes 7-Eleven, Home Depot, and Jack in the Box. If you can't use Apple Pay at a store that is displaying the contactless payment symbol, please let us know using our Apple Pay feedback form."

gjrhine
Pawleys Island, SC

gjrhine to crazyk4952

to crazyk4952
said by crazyk4952:

That video makes ApplePay look pretty cumbersome to use.

It depends on your skill level with placing your thumb on the Home button.
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
Our vending machines here have the NFC terminals, and the terminals support Apple Pay, but NFC payments are disabled in the vending machine itself.

So, I can go through the motions of Apple Pay, but I can't actually use it. It works quite nicely and very quickly. I do feel absurd holding up my 6+ though, given how much bigger it is than a credit card.

I suspect Apple Pay will become ubiquitous right about the time I'm ready to buy an Apple Watch, and that will be the killer way to pay for things--no reaching into a pocket at all.

Count Zero
Premium Member
join:2007-01-18
Milton, FL

Count Zero to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
A mc flurry. Worked flawlessly!

powerspec88
Premium Member
join:2007-03-11
Lees Summit, MO

powerspec88 to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
Tested at McDonald's last night on the way home from work, worked great! Had on my phone out and ready by the time I was ready to pay, I would say just as fast, took the phone longer to read my thumb then it did to process the payment.
reslor1
join:2003-01-10
Hackettstown, NJ

reslor1 to Nezmo

to Nezmo
NFC terminals have a light that comes on when they are ready to accept a contactless payment. If it does't light up save yourself some embarrassment and swipe your card.
Marcotor
join:2000-12-09
Redlands, CA

Marcotor to haroldo

to haroldo
Worked just fine at Stater Bros.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike to haroldo

Mod

to haroldo
I would try it but every bank listed there is the reason why the US economy tanked.

I'll wait until less awful banks are listed.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by Mike:

+1

haroldo
USA

4 edits

haroldo to Mike

to Mike
said by Mike:

I would try it but every bank listed there is the reason why the US economy tanked.

Me too.
I've cancelled all my credit cards, closed my checking account, removed all my valuables from the vault, delayed buying a house and I no longer use ATMs to get cash...I'm waiting for the banks to get less awful. [ /end of snarky reply]

FYI economy tanked because folks bought stuff that they couldn't afford and then stopped paying for it

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

1 recommendation

ptrowski

Premium Member

said by haroldo:

said by Mike:

Me too.
I've cancelled all my credit cards, closed my checking account, removed all my valuables from the vault, delayed buying a house and I no longer use ATMs to get cash...I'm waiting for the banks to get less awful. [ /end of snarky reply]

P.S. economy tanked because folks bought stuff that they couldn't afford and then stopped paying for it

Stop making sense.

haroldo
USA

1 recommendation

haroldo

said by ptrowski:

Stop making sense.

Sorry, I read the newspapers...I'll stop, okay?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

1 recommendation

darcilicious to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
said by haroldo:

said by Mike:

Me too.

FYI economy tanked because folks bought stuff that they couldn't afford and then stopped paying for it

Right because banks weren't / aren't run by any greedy people so it must be all the borrower's fault...

haroldo
USA

haroldo

If greed means that they lent money and expected to get paid back, yeah, I guess

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

Or that they lent money when they shouldn't have...

haroldo
USA

2 recommendations

haroldo

said by darcilicious:

Or that they lent money when they shouldn't have...

(I promise this is my last comment on this off topic sub thread)...they were forced to loan to people that then knew would be unable to repay.
The government threatened the banks that hadn't made enough sub-prime loans.
The gov withheld approval on acquisitions until banks increased their lending to the very folk that logic and prudence said they should avoid.

gjrhine
Pawleys Island, SC

gjrhine to darcilicious

to darcilicious
Yeah they're all bad people.. until you need them anyway.

haroldo
USA

haroldo

quote:
Some Bank Of America Customers Claim Apple Pay Is Double-Charging Them

Apple Pay has had its first major glitch, it seems.
Some Bank Of America customers were being double charged for payments made with Apple Pay, according to alerts from Bloomberg.
Bank of America says it will refund people for the extra charges.
We’ve reached out to both Bank of America and Apple, and we’ll update this story as soon as we learn more.
Apple Pay launched on Monday via the iOS 8.1 update for iPhones and iPads. Apple Pay allows iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus owners to purchase items by holding their phones to an NFC receiver and placing their thumbs on their iPhone’s fingerprint sensor.

»www.businessinsider.com/ ··· -2014-10

Nezmo
MVM
Coppell, TX

Nezmo

MVM

said by haroldo:

quote:
Some Bank Of America Customers Claim Apple Pay Is Double-Charging Them

Apple Pay has had its first major glitch, it seems.
Some Bank Of America customers were being double charged for payments made with Apple Pay, according to alerts from Bloomberg.
Bank of America says it will refund people for the extra charges.
We’ve reached out to both Bank of America and Apple, and we’ll update this story as soon as we learn more.
Apple Pay launched on Monday via the iOS 8.1 update for iPhones and iPads. Apple Pay allows iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus owners to purchase items by holding their phones to an NFC receiver and placing their thumbs on their iPhone’s fingerprint sensor.

»www.businessinsider.com/ ··· -2014-10

It's that Apple 'premium' we all just love to pay, lol.

haroldo
USA

haroldo

I don't understand the technology, but it's mind boggling that they didn't test for repeat payments...or block the system from allowing two charges within a set period of time (if payment received, block subsequent payments for one minute, etc.).
Then again, it is ver 1.0, so...