Search similar:

uniqs

GroovyPhoenx
Premium Member
join:2006-05-22
Gloucester, ON

GroovyPhoenx

Premium Member

The problem with DNC List, Unsubscribe, Spam Laws etc.

It's obvious of course to most of us why these fail, the plain simple fact is that HONEST companies will follow these laws and listen and not bother people, crooked or even "dubious" companies will use excuses like I'm a charity to get around these laws.

The problem? Laws are nice, regulations are nice, gun control is nice, but it's not hurting the crooks, A crook doesn't buy a legal gun, it doesn't follow spam laws, it uses them against us. Honest people think that companies are honest and will honor an unsubscribe notice.

So what can be done? Laws are not a true deterrent, since there's so many ways to get around these things online, How can people protect themselves?

Awareness if key number 1 of course, but after that? I'm not sure, I do know crooks won't show respect, and why should they? They only need 1 sucker to pay monthly bills and 2 to make a profit!

It's frustrating in this day and age to see that nothing can really be done to stop these people from simply allowing us to enjoy our lives in peace and quiet.

FureverFurry
RIP Daphne: 3/12/05 - 6/19/12
Premium Member
join:2012-02-20
49xxx
Zoom 5341J
ARRIS WBM760
Vonage VDV-21

FureverFurry

Premium Member

said by GroovyPhoenx:

It's obvious of course to most of us why these fail, the plain simple fact is that HONEST companies will follow these laws and listen and not bother people, crooked or even "dubious" companies will use excuses like I'm a charity to get around these laws.

If it's not the "charity" excuse, it's the "we're conducting a SURVEY" (which is exempt). Ughhh !!

Be judicious about whom you provide your telephone number. Just because a business wants it, doesn't mean you have to provide it. I use a Masked Phone through Abine but on forms, I nearly always enter zeros.

The worst bit is that these arse companies sell/rent/share your information: the gift that keeps on giving. I pay good money to have a non-published phone number.

Those grocery keycards aren't bad as you can give them all zeros for your phone number. But those ones who want you to sign up using your mobile phone: there's a reason they want your phone number and it's NOT to give you great coupons. :-(