dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
pauly1
join:2013-09-18

pauly1

Cable TV and Dish Network in NYC Questions?

First off, is there a dish network subforum to post this? Don't see it and only saw time warner cable so posting it here.

We had time warner cable tv many years ago. I believe we paid like 72 dollars a month and it was for 2 boxes. This was maybe 10+years ago and after a while we cancelled it b/c we no longer watch cable that much tv and tv anymore. This was when we had those CRT televisions and not the lcd ones now.

We recently moved to brooklyn. We were from manhattan where if you wanted cable, it was pretty much time warner. Here we're in a house and not an apartment. I recalled back then i had asked about dish network b/c i read its really cheap but we couldnt do it b/c we lived in a building and pretty sure they wouldn't be able to install it.

At the moment we have 2 tvs and just have those antennas where we get to watch free tv. Thing is we dont watch much television so we dont really care that much. We haven't watched cable tv or had it for maybe 6 years or so.

But since we live in a house now, im sure we could get something like dish network installed. From looking online, i dont know how the plans they offer are so cheap such as 19.99 or 29.99 month eventhough they require a 2 year contract. I see the 29.99 plan seems to have the same cable channels we had with time warner cable many years ago. But how does does the 29.99/month really cost a month when factoring everything? Also we dont know anything about tivo or those recording tv things so that doesn't concern us one bit. Basically if it doesn't cost much, i dont mind getting dish network if it doesn't cost too much. I know it can't cost as much as time warner cable.

Also we dont need nfl ticket, or any of those other things like hbo, showtime etc. I heard for each tv you want dish network, u had to pay a monthly box for converter so i assume its like time warner cable. I spoke to dish network but from what they say, a lot of it sounds a bit too good to be true.

If anyone is in brooklyn and has dish network, would like your opinion. Again we dont watch much tv at this home and its been so long since we actually had cable tv so we dont really miss it. But if it doesnt cost too much, i might consider just adding it. I know i wont be paying for time warner cable for 70 channels and paying 80 a month though.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena

Premium Member

First: DBSTalk.com is a great forum for satellite related questions, they have Dish Network specific forums that could help answer many many questions.

As far as what it is going to cost.... that's a little more murky. The prices listed are national, without any taxes and fees that might be applied to them by your state and in some cases even county-specific fees apply. You'd have to call Dish Network, give them your address and ask what its going to cost.

Also, usually they do not include fees for HD (usually something like $10), using a DVR, how many TV's you want a box for, and whether you want a whole home DVR system, etc.... It may look "Dirt Cheap" @ 29.59, but you will most likely be paying much close to $50 or $60 once all the fees and equipment are added. Again, you probably will just have to call them, tell them what you want, and ask them what the final monthly bill will be.

As far as watching little TV, I am with you. I ended up building a DVR into my media server PC (my main office PC really, its always on) to record things from the channels I receive from my roof antenna, and decided to cancel my DirecTV. I now have a combination of OTA television recorded to my central DVR, and internet streaming from Netflix, Amazon Prime, and whatever is available through my SmartDNS subscription (BBC iPlayer, CBC Player, ITV Player, Australian/New Zealand on Demand, much much more in English). The continued raising of taxes, fees, equipment rental fees, costs to cover expensive sports channels, disputes between media stations that caused increased fees, more fees, more money, more more......really turned me off from any form of pay TV. But letting go of TV isn't for everyone of course.
PowerMac
join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA

PowerMac to pauly1

to pauly1
Hi, I have Dish Network and TWC internet. Dish have a unique receiver that can connect two tvs. One for HD and one for coaxial cable (Standard Def) They have DISH VIP 722k if you want DVR. DVR fee is $7 by the way. Or VIP 222k if you dont want DVR/Ondemand functionality. You also dont have to pay rental fee for the first receiver.

Im paying $63(nonpromotional rate) a month for America Top 120 channel with a VIP 722k DVR
pauly1
join:2013-09-18

pauly1

Anyone from brooklyn can tell me how much they are paying?

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena

Premium Member

said by pauly1:

Anyone from brooklyn can tell me how much they are paying?

Did you call Dish and ask?