Premium Member
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR

NOYB to Kilroy

Premium Member

to Kilroy

Re: Password Managers--Good or Bad??

said by Kilroy:

If I had control of a machine why would I want to attack a password manager when I could encrypt the data for $300?

Do both. Beside $300 is drop in the bucket compared to what's available from financial accounts.
NOYB

NOYB to Ian1

Premium Member

to Ian1
said by Ian1:

I never heard of a celebrity having their nudie pics exposed because their password manager was compromised.

Not yet.

And of course not, they scarcely even know what a password is let alone a password manager.
NOYB

NOYB to Selenia

Premium Member

to Selenia
said by Selenia:

Just encrypt the DB and make backups.

And the DB contents are accessed without being decrypted, correct?

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

They are decrypted by a hash key with a passphrase, if I understand you correctly. The key has to be correct and the passphrase to unlock the key when the client opens it. When you close it, this will be required again. Plus, the DB is kept locally, which is safer IMO than anything stored on the cloud.

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium Member
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105
ARRIS ONT1000GJ4
EnGenius EAP1250

1 recommendation

rchandra to Nanaki

Premium Member

to Nanaki
It is or is not cloud-based, your choice. One can also convert one to the other, with a Windows-based or Max OS X-based program which can sync your files between Siber's servers and your computer(s). It doesn't work perfectly, but the Windows version runs adequately under the Wine in Xubuntu 12.04.

I'm not sure how long the offer lasted, but they offered a free year of RF Everywhere. I paid the $10 for a year anyway, just because I think they're great guys for doing what they do.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

jaykaykay to Sundog

MVM

to Sundog
I used last Pass free for quite some time before switching to the paid mode. And, I know many others here do too, as this is where I found it some time ago.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR

NOYB to Selenia

Premium Member

to Selenia
said by Selenia:

The key has to be correct and the passphrase to unlock the key when the client opens it. When you close it, this will be required again.

The vulnerability is while it is open.
said by Selenia:

Plus, the DB is kept locally, which is safer IMO than anything stored on the cloud.

This is password manager specific. Some are only stored locally, and some are stored in the cloud, or both locally and in the cloud.