uniqs

RobThompson
Caution - VoIP Challenged Alert
Premium Member
join:2012-02-14
J8G 0C9

RobThompson

Premium Member

Looking for non Nerd Vittles PIAF etc help/tutorial web sites...

Hello:

Are there other sites for a newbie? Something that explains the fundamentals such as extensions, trunks and routes.

Thanks
RobThompson

RobThompson

Premium Member

Ok, I'll ask my embarrassing question here.

What is the minimum set up (extensions, in-bound routes, out-bound routes, trunks, DISA's, IVR's and whatever else) to have PIAF receive a call on a voip.ms DID and transfer that call to a pots line phone number? That is, I want to call in, get the IVR, dial 1 and my call will go to my brother's home phone number or dial 2 and my call will go to my friend's office phone number.

Thank you.

WhyADuck
Premium Member
join:2003-03-05

WhyADuck

Premium Member

Well assuming that your voip.ms account lets you use two channels simultaneously, you would need:

1 Trunk = configured to connect to voip.ms
1 inbound route - for incoming calls, which will send calls to...
1 IVR - which would have two menu selections, which would connect to...
2 Misc Destinations - you would put your two destination numbers in these. Then for them to actually go out, you'd need..
1 Outbound Route - which would route your outgoing calls to your voip.ms trunk.

For the usage case you have suggested you don't need any extensions and you don't need a DISA, since you are limiting outgoing calls to one of two options that will be selected by the IVR. You asked for the minimum setup, and that is it.

If that is really all you need I'd choose the FreePBX Distro over PiaF simply because you don't need all the bells and whistles there. But a lot depends on your reasons for wanting to do this. For example if it is just for you then you probably don't need a recorded announcement telling people which number to dial, but if other friends or family members would beĀ using it then you probably will want to add an announcement of some kind. And if you are using it in a situation where you may want to call other numbers from time to time, then you may want to add a multi-digit "hidden" option to your IVR that puts you into a DISA. But be careful, a DISA is something that the bad guys love to exploit, so you don't want to make it to easy to access. And if you use one, I'd configure your voip.ms account to disallow international calls, assuming they give you that option, just in case someone gets past your defenses or guesses your multi-digit code to get into your DISA.

RobThompson
Caution - VoIP Challenged Alert
Premium Member
join:2012-02-14
J8G 0C9

RobThompson

Premium Member

Wow! Thanks WhyADuck.

'Misc Destinations', who knew!!!

To the best of my knowledge, I have never seen 'Misc Destinations' in any of the 30+ articles on PIAF that I have bookmarked and read. I have been trying to set this up for over two weeks.

There are many tutorials about setting up Google Voice & calling using a softphone to an extension so that was pretty easy to get working; using a POTS line in & an IVR to DISA to call out using GV was more difficult, and, I am still unclear of how that works but it does. I can even dial in from a POTS line to a voip.ms phone number to a IVR to a DISA and get a dial-tone on GV to make outbound calls but I don't completely understand that either.

Being able to do something and understanding what you are doing, are two different things.

I feel that I lack a fundamental understanding of a PBX and all the 'gizmos', for lack of a better word, that appear in the PIAF menus.

Maybe, I am just 'dense'.

Anyway, thanks again for providing me with another piece of the puzzle.