uniqs

Dsm1995
join:2010-04-14
San Diego, CA

4 edits

Dsm1995

My not so perfect closet...

Click for full size

Majority of the stuff I ordered from monoprice with exception of the switch and cable tester. The switch is from Lantec 24port 10/100, only paid $20 new off amazon, cable tester you see was around $5 time I ordered and all its job was to do is check to see if I got all punchdowns in right order (1-8). not bad for a lil tester. Router is a cheap one from trendnet 10/100 (replacing it soon, wifi is disabled) & that cisco in back is a rv120w router I got for $25 new and it is setup as a access point. My goal is to have a new gigabit router to replace the crappy trendnet one I have and get a gigabit switch and a dociss 3.0 cable modem to replace the old 2.0 unit too but for now they will be fine....

The network is setup with one patch going from the router to the switch (red wire) and from each port on patch panel to the switch (blue wire). The cisco router im using as a ap is going from the ap to the trendnet (green wire). The long blue cable you see is wan out to cable modem. Even tho the patch panel is for solid copper cable, the purple you see is stranded patch cable that goes from the trendnet to the patch panel where it is punched down correctly. I know its not the right way to do it but it works. I did test each port on each end to see if all cables were punched down in right order and all passed. Still to this day I have no issues with my network

Since the pictures were taken some time ago, I ran more drops to other spots in house with only master bedroom to do... Only thing im looking at getting is a nice small shelf unit ~4ft high with short depth to fit in the closet cause I don't want to keep that thing attached to the wall.. Ideas on improvement ? I don't do this for a living as its a hobby but it was part of a structured cabling class I took at a comm college in town...

Rest of images are here Slideshow Below
»s1098.photobucket.com/us ··· %20Build since this site likes to screw with photobuckets links

izy
MVM
join:2000-09-21
endless loop

izy

MVM

Very clean!

My 2 bits...use velcro wraps and ditch the zip ties. I hate zip ties!!

Dsm1995
join:2010-04-14
San Diego, CA

Dsm1995

I knew some1 was gonna say that lol but ty

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to Dsm1995

Premium Member

to Dsm1995
Looks nice.
I would leave it as is other than adding hook & loop tape aka velcro straps
Why don't you want it attached to the wall, it is a wall mount bracket after all?
perhaps its too far back in the space and you want it towards the front, you might be able to get either a deeper bracket, there are also rack extenders which would connect to the rails area of your bracket and extend them out several more inches (probably not ideal). There are much larger wall mount racks which are deep enough to accommodate a server but I don't think you want to go in that direction either (big cost and likely deeper than what you want).

F100
join:2013-01-15
Durham, NC
Alcatel-Lucent G-010G-A
(Software) pfSense
Pace 5268AC

F100 to Dsm1995

to Dsm1995
Looks good. I'm doing a similar project where I took a closet under staircase inside the 1st floor half bath and turned it into to the telecom/server closet. I'll post it when I get it more cleaned up. I'm also running RG6 as well so that add a lot of extra cabling that is harder to keep clean and make the bundles bigger much quicker that CAT6 alone due to the larger diameter.

FYI, I don't know how much space your closet contains but if you start putting more gear in there like full PCs/Servers, then the heat can start to build up rather quickly if it doesn't have a fan or isn't open to let the heat out.

I had to take the door off to my space after adding several desktops(servers) in there with the cable modem, switch, router and VOiP adapter. I'm trying to figure out how to add circulation to exchange the equipment heat buildup with the main living space (without a lot of noise). With the door closed, the heat gets trapped. For appearance and childproofing, it's better if it's closed. I had anticipated heat, but it's hard to tell until you get your setup installed.
elec999
join:2005-12-19

elec999 to Dsm1995

to Dsm1995
To me this looks like the cleanest and most wonderful home setup. I need to make mine look like this....too bad I am always changing stuff around.