uniqs

neochu
join:2008-12-12
Windsor, ON

neochu to Thane_Bitter

to Thane_Bitter

Re: [Serious] Shots fired at Parliament Hill, Soldier shot

said by Thane_Bitter:

Has it been confirmed that there was only a single gunman?
It sounded like the reports of shooting in/near/around the Rideau Centre are false.

So far primary and secondary sources are saying these rumours are attributed to the Fog of War with more certainty to the Rideau Centre.

The Second or 'more' gunmen attribute to leads from 'someone' with 'something looking like a rifle' riding away in a motorcycle or grey vehicle.

Its why Ottawa is still on lockdown until the area is searched 100% (likely 24 hours.)

Its been pretty much confirmed that the person throwing themselves at parliamentary security is the killer of the CF member at the Cenotaph.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

Disappointed that CBC doesn't have the full clip of the PM, could only find it on Global TV.
Link for those that missed it live: »globalnews.ca/video/1630 ··· n-ottawa
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to Jackorama

Premium Member

to Jackorama
said by Jackorama:

You think that ISIS brainwashed supporters will let an event like that pass?

I don't know whether they will or not.

But the crucial thing is to say "screw you" to the terrorists and to get on with life.

As the people of London, England did during the Blitz when they were bombed every night, and during the IRA years, and in more recent attacks too.

As we New Yorkers did after 9/11 (and an earlier attack on the trade center too).

As the people of Boston did after the Marathon bombing.

As the people of Mumbai did, and Madrid, and Moscow, and many other places.

I bet that this year's Remembrance Day activities in Canada will be the [best] attended in many years. As is appropriate to honor the heroes of Vimy Ridge and so, so many other places.

Fuck the terrorists, and carry on Canada.

NCRGuy
join:2008-03-03
Ottawa, ON

NCRGuy to neochu

to neochu
said by neochu:

said by Thane_Bitter:

It sounded like the reports of shooting in/near/around the Rideau Centre are false.

So far primary and secondary sources are saying these rumours are attributed to the Fog of War with more certainty to the Rideau Centre.

The Second or 'more' gunmen attribute to leads from 'someone' with 'something looking like a rifle' riding away in a motorcycle or grey vehicle.

Its why Ottawa is still on lockdown until the area is searched 100% (likely 24 hours.)

Its been pretty much confirmed that the person throwing themselves at parliamentary security is the killer of the CF member at the Cenotaph.

Lockdown was lifted a while ago.

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner to Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

to Thane_Bitter
Prime Minister Stephen Harper Addresses The Nation:

»youtu.be/Zy8acMKab1A
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805 to HiVolt

to HiVolt
Today was a hectic day to say the least. As horrible as it is to say, thank God there were only 2 casualties. Had this been an hour later towards the lunch hour more civilians would have been around. I pray for the soldiers family during this horrific day, and I hope should there be other accomplices that they are brought to justice quickly.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner
Bomb threat at York University, just listening on the scanner... Abandoned van with some blue container in the back. not sure who called it in, but TPS/ETF and Toronto Fire are on the scene investigating...

Hope its not related.

neochu
join:2008-12-12
Windsor, ON

neochu to NCRGuy

to NCRGuy
said by NCRGuy:

said by neochu:

said by Thane_Bitter:

Lockdown was lifted a while ago.

LOL I was JUUUST about to edit that out. So it is probably just a 'lone gunman' thing. PITA to try and track.

IT would be sad to see Parliament hill turn into Bunker Hill though I know things could be done better.
said by HiVolt:

Bomb threat at York University, just listening on the scanner... Abandoned van with some blue container in the back. not sure who called it in, but TPS/ETF and Toronto Fire are on the scene investigating...

Hope its not related.

Me too, or it could just be a Fog of war thing with a harmless painters or maintenance van. Its 15 years in the clink if someone was stupid enough to make one during this kind of event.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

1 recommendation

PX Eliezer1 to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner
said by shaner:

Prime Minister Stephen Harper Addresses The Nation

Thank you.

Quiet yet strong and direct.

-----

Much better than my president who hates to say the word "terrorist".
analog andy
join:2005-01-03
Surrey, BC

analog andy to Jackorama

to Jackorama
said by Jackorama:

You think that ISIS brainwashed supporters will let an event like that pass? Don't be so naive. Being naive is what gets you in trouble.

Seriously stay home. You're a danger to our freedoms.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

1 recommendation

MaynardKrebs to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

said by shaner:

Thank you.

-----

Did he cause terror? In some sense of the word, yes. No proof yet that the doofus was a 'terrorist' in the sense of belonging to a group dedicated to a political cause.

Was he a loser criminal? Yes. What motivated his attacks, we have to wait to see.

Chances are 99.9999% that if somebody stands up in Parliament and says that we need to understand the root cause of an act like this, he/she will be shouted down by the majority party in cacophony of juvenile insults. But we do need to know.

Was the guy dropped on his head once too many times when an infant; was he high on meth; was he pissed that due to never ending background checks by prospective employers he could never get beyond his criminal past; was he destitute and filled with rage as a result; or was he something else - a political terrorist in the classical sense, or something else yet again.

Knowing what motivated him, and the guy who ran down the two soldiers outside Montreal directs us to how to respond, and the motivations may be very different and the responses different as a result.

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord to HiVolt

to HiVolt

'Radicalized' Quebec Attacker Martin Rouleau Is Already Being Martyred by ISIS Fighters

Even though Prime Minister Stephen Harper is remaining tight lipped about the specifics of a “suspected terror attack” yesterday in Montreal, online Canadian jihadists currently plying their trade in Iraq and Syria are already making a martyr out of the suspected attacker.

»www.vice.com/en_ca/read/ ··· artyrdom
analog andy
Surrey, BC

analog andy to MaynardKrebs

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

said by PX Eliezer1:

said by shaner:

Thank you.

-----

Did he cause terror? In some sense of the word, yes. No proof yet that the doofus was a 'terrorist' in the sense of belonging to a group dedicated to a political cause.

Was he a loser criminal? Yes. What motivated his attacks, we have to wait to see.

Chances are 99.9999% that if somebody stands up in Parliament and says that we need to understand the root cause of an act like this, he/she will be shouted down by the majority party in cacophony of juvenile insults. But we do need to know.

Was the guy dropped on his head once too many times when an infant; was he high on meth; was he pissed that due to never ending background checks by prospective employers he could never get beyond his criminal past; was he destitute and filled with rage as a result; or was he something else - a political terrorist in the classical sense, or something else yet again.

Knowing what motivated him, and the guy who ran down the two soldiers outside Montreal directs us to how to respond, and the motivations may be very different and the responses different as a result.

But its easy now. He's dead so they can make up what ever they wanted.
analog andy

analog andy to TigerLord

to TigerLord
Of course they'll say that what else would e be expected. Might was well use up the propaganda points while they're available.

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord

Indeed, so the solution that was offered earlier that revoking passport could stop stuff like this is not realistic as Gone pointed out. Twitter/Internet is global and there's no stopping it.

It's definitely important we try to understand the human beings that perpetrated these attacks beyond the usual stereotypes that the media will blurb about. I said the same thing about the current Gamergate scandal... the vandals in this instance are another type of extreme radicals who operate with a hive mentality.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

1 recommendation

PX Eliezer1 to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

Bin Laden had a great childhood in a very rich family....

Many folks (myself included) no longer care about making excuses for those (by whatever name) who commit such acts.

Poor, poor misunderstood Charles Manson.

Poor, poor misunderstood Russell Williams formerly of the RCAF.

Poor, poor misunderstood FLQ.
said by MaynardKrebs:

I think that you really believe that....
analog andy
Surrey, BC

analog andy to TigerLord

to TigerLord
said by TigerLord:

Indeed, so the solution that was offered earlier that revoking passport could stop stuff like this is not realistic as Gone pointed out. Twitter/Internet is global and there's no stopping it.

It's definitely important we try to understand the human beings that perpetrated these attacks beyond the usual stereotypes that the media will blurb about. I said the same thing about the current Gamergate scandal... the vandals in this instance are another type of extreme radicals who operate with a hive mentality.

The solution will not come in our life time. Were dealing with 1000's of years of believes twisted into an excuse to do criminal things, anything who thinks bombing them and going after them will automagically scare them into submission and change their views about the western world need's their hear checked.

With out the support of the rest of the Muslim world this will never end.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to analog andy

Premium Member

to analog andy
said by analog andy:

But its easy now. He's dead so they can make up what ever they wanted.

Whether he is alive or dead, his background will be thoroughly investigated, so I can't agree with your comment.

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans
join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON

Mashiki to analog andy

to analog andy
said by analog andy:

The solution will not come in our life time. Were dealing with 1000's of years of believes twisted into an excuse to do criminal things, anything who thinks bombing them and going after them will automagically scare them into submission and change their views about the western world need's their hear checked.

Really? Remember Japan? Yeah, it was a thousand years of belief twisted into doing criminal things that was used to justify a state of war, and went as far as brain washing an entire population into shock troops. The west "fixed that" and I'm sure the hell glad they did.

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th

Kardinal to HiVolt

Mod

to HiVolt
I didn't see this in the thread so far (apologies if it is here and I missed it): CBC camera crew catches three 'big' blasts before the volley of handgun fire. Two, followed by one more and then the volley of different sounding shots.

»www.cbc.ca/player/News/C ··· 7214305/

In the commentary after the run down the hallway to the lobby of the HoC, the cameraman says "Lots of gunshots. Probably more than 30".
analog andy
Surrey, BC

analog andy to Mashiki

to Mashiki
said by Mashiki:

said by analog andy:

Really? Remember Japan? Yeah, it was a thousand years of belief twisted into doing criminal things that was used to justify a state of war, and went as far as brain washing an entire population into shock troops. The west "fixed that" and I'm sure the hell glad they did.

Yah the USA sure won and brought in democracy to the region. Oh they took out all the bad guys that had the real bad guy's in check.

Oh lets ask Russia how a war in that region are worked out for them.

Go ahead set off some nukes, let see how that works out when you got some dirty bombs thrown right back at you.

Oh how did they get their current state of the art weapons? Golly gee...

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans
join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON

Mashiki

said by analog andy:

Yah the USA sure won and brought in democracy to the region. Oh they took out all the bad guys that had the real bad guy's in check.

Oh lets ask Russia how a war in that region are worked out for them.

Go ahead set off some nukes, let see how that works out when you got some dirty bombs thrown right back at you.

Oh how did they get their current state of the art weapons? Golly gee...

Well let's look at the region shall we?
Democracy: Japan, Philippines, Singapore, Malyasia(reverted), South Korea, various other smaller countries. So yep.

How did the war in that region work out for russia? Well it appears it worked out fairly well, they were able to stabilize their territory in more fluid areas, and expand their geo-political influence as well, though we were at odds with them for quite a while weren't we?

Who said anything about nukes? Then again, considering the current actions of various groups in the region that's what I expect will happen...well more so that they'll nuke themselves.

Depends on who you're talking about with those "state of the art weapons." Then again, you seem to think that there is no solution except the one that they impose themselves. News flash: Religions have been outlawed before for less then what's going on now.

Lothario
join:2009-09-30
Ottawa, ON

1 recommendation

Lothario

Has little to do with religion and more to do with ideology.
He was a petty criminal going nowhere in life and decided he wanted the package offering him 40 virgins inthe afterlife.

d4m1r
join:2011-08-25

1 recommendation

d4m1r to analog andy

to analog andy
said by analog andy:

Of course they'll say that what else would e be expected. Might was well use up the propaganda points while they're available.

Exactly...It is going to be interesting to see what happens in the wake of this....

Will the politicians block access to the hill citing "security concerns", will they increase security/police at every public institution, airports, and so on, due to the "war on terror"?

Will they let the terrorists win by creating a US-like Department of Homeland security that will bankrupt us into debt? I hope the Canadian public isn't fooled so easily by their political leaders, like the Americans were after 9/11...

Don't let these criminals (and that is what they are in the eyes of the law) dictate how to live your lives people....Live your life as you normally would, otherwise they've already won.

capdjq
Be Kind, Be Calm & Be Safe
Premium Member
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

1 recommendation

capdjq to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
I know hindsight is 20/20 but if BC Politicians were warned of an attack why did the RCMP say they"were caught by surprise"? I find this troubling.

»www.theprovince.com/news ··· ory.html

What, if instead of a crazed "lone wolf", it was a well planned attack on our Parliament, a la Mumbai saga, a few years ago, they could have taken hostages and created a nation wide disaster.

Poor security and little or no planning by the security heads were to blame for this chaos. All I saw on TV was a bunch of armed security running hither and thither not knowing in the hell what happened.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to HiVolt

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Hope its not related.

Yes, we had a bomb threat this week at a gas station in Owen Sound. Nothing found. There will be lots of this crap.
Grappler
join:2002-09-01
Ottawa, ON

Grappler to HiVolt

to HiVolt
So far B.C. is the only province that has chimed in concerning additional measures being in place prior to the incident. Do you not think it is possible that the information they had was based on this subject's background, last being in B.C.? Hence why the were "caught off guard" in Ottawa.

EDIT: The statement is directed to "capdjq".

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
said by DKS:

said by HiVolt:

Hope its not related.

Yes, we had a bomb threat this week at a gas station in Owen Sound. Nothing found. There will be lots of this crap.

Yeah, it turned out to be nothing, thankfully. But they did evacuate Osgoode Hall before it was deemed a non threat.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to HiVolt

to HiVolt
My secretary's daughter works in Ottawa. Her building is a Top Ten target. They got out of lockdown at 5:00 PM after the police had searched the building. Her husband is a CAF officer. He has been ordered not to wear his uniform to work.

I stopped briefly at our city cenotaph this morning for a moment of prayer and reflection. I wasn't alone. There were already flowers laid at the foot of the cenotaph.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by DKS:

Her husband is a CAF officer. He has been ordered not to wear his uniform to work.

What do you think of that order?

I have very mixed feelings.