Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th

Kardinal to HiVolt

Mod

to HiVolt

Re: [Serious] Shots fired at Parliament Hill, Soldier shot

Footage of the gunman's arrival on Parliament Hill, and how he got up to the Centre Block so quickly:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 4XdTlX9Y

(the original commentary is in English, but the voiceover is in French)

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
join:2004-04-13
Canada

BonezX to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
said by vue666:

On our local talk radio the audience seemed to be split on the discussion whether or not our military should wear their uniforms in public.

I wonder if policemen were being target, I wonder what the public opinion would be on cops being allowed not to wear uniforms...

Cops in uniform are armed, most of them change clothes when going off duty.

as for CF uniforms, "Members of the Canadian military in the Ottawa area have been told stop wearing their uniforms in public, with the exception of going back and forth to work.", which last I can remember is the actual uniform requirements, when your not on duty, attending an event, or in transit to/from your workplace you're not supposed to be in uniform.

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord to HiVolt

to HiVolt
La Presse have an interesting piece on the mechanisms that already exist. Apparently, our current terrorist laws allow a judge to order electronic surveillance or impose curfew on individuals they deem is at risk of committing an act of terror.

In the case of Zehaf-Bibeau, they had already revoked his passport, which itself requires a judicial process with a burden of proof. Why then was the proof not sufficient enough to order more measures, as the law already allows, but it was enough to revoke a passport?

What good is reinforcing budgets and giving our agencies more power if they can't even use the power they already have competently?

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

1 recommendation

Anav to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
Thanks for posting that Shaner! (rex video)

Lothario
join:2009-09-30
Ottawa, ON

Lothario to TigerLord

to TigerLord
New news said he was not in RCMP watch list.
His mother hadn't seen him in 5 years and called him a social misfit. Was also living at a homeless shelter 2 weeks prior.
His mother makes 200k a year....

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord

What has the mother's salary to do with the situation?

BigSensFan
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Belle River, ON

BigSensFan to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
He was staying at the Ottawa Mission 10 days prior to the incident. I worked there as Chaplain about 12 years ago
NCRGuy
join:2008-03-03
Ottawa, ON

NCRGuy to TigerLord

to TigerLord
said by TigerLord:

La Presse have an interesting piece on the mechanisms that already exist. Apparently, our current terrorist laws allow a judge to order electronic surveillance or impose curfew on individuals they deem is at risk of committing an act of terror.

In the case of Zehaf-Bibeau, they had already revoked his passport, which itself requires a judicial process with a burden of proof. Why then was the proof not sufficient enough to order more measures, as the law already allows, but it was enough to revoke a passport?

What good is reinforcing budgets and giving our agencies more power if they can't even use the power they already have competently?

His passport was never revoked. He didn't have a passport, had applied for one, and the application was being investigated.

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
Canada

BonezX to BigSensFan

Premium Member

to BigSensFan
said by BigSensFan:

He was staying at the Ottawa Mission 10 days prior to the incident. I worked there as Chaplain about 12 years ago

that would make me want to check on whoever is working there currently, as well as current "occupants"

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord to NCRGuy

to NCRGuy
»www.lapresse.ca/debats/c ··· les-.php

Dans le cas de Zehaf-Bibeau, le Globe and Mail rapporte qu'il était sur la liste des passagers à risque. La Presse a par ailleurs obtenu la confirmation qu'on lui avait retiré son passeport. Avec le passé criminel qu'on lui connaît et avec les renseignements colligés, pourquoi n'a-t-on pas utilisé ce mécanisme ?

They could be wrong, though.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

1 edit

dirtyjeffer0 to Lothario

Premium Member

to Lothario
said by Lothario:

New news said he was not in RCMP watch list.
His mother hadn't seen him in 5 years and called him a social misfit. Was also living at a homeless shelter 2 weeks prior.
His mother makes 200k a year....

i heard on the radio today that his mother does not have any feelings of loss for her son, only for the terrible loss of the soldier and remorse for his family.

BigSensFan
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Belle River, ON

1 recommendation

BigSensFan to BonezX

Premium Member

to BonezX
said by BonezX:

said by BigSensFan:

that would make me want to check on whoever is working there currently, as well as current "occupants"

meaning?? Why check on who currently works there?

When I was there MOST of the people (workers) had no or very little religious affiliation. The chaplains were either Pentecostal (me), United Church or Catholic (we were a 'Christian' organization)

The residents, it would be hard to track many of them as we had a highly transient population at the Mission. Yes we had 'regulars' but many more non regulars. 10 days would be a short stay in all honesty
NCRGuy
join:2008-03-03
Ottawa, ON

NCRGuy to TigerLord

to TigerLord
said by TigerLord:

»www.lapresse.ca/debats/c ··· les-.php

Dans le cas de Zehaf-Bibeau, le Globe and Mail rapporte qu'il était sur la liste des passagers à risque. La Presse a par ailleurs obtenu la confirmation qu'on lui avait retiré son passeport. Avec le passé criminel qu'on lui connaît et avec les renseignements colligés, pourquoi n'a-t-on pas utilisé ce mécanisme ?

They could be wrong, though.

The Commissioner of the RCMP directly contradicted that today.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
said by dirtyjeffer0:

i heard on the radio today that his mother does not have any feelings of loss for her son, or for the terrible loss of the soldier and remorse for his family.

Mr. Zehaf-Bibeau was born in 1982 and was the son of Bulgasem Zehaf, a Quebec businessman who appears to have fought in 2011 in Libya, and Susan Bibeau, the deputy chairperson of a division of Canada’s Immigration and Refugee Board. The two were divorced in 1999.

»www.theglobeandmail.com/ ··· 1252419/

The mother of the gunman in Canada's capital city said Thursday she mourns for the victims of the attack, not her son.

"If I'm crying, it's for the people," Susan Bibeau told the Associated Press, struggling to hold back tears, "not for my son."

»www.usatoday.com/story/n ··· 7783405/

Lothario
Ottawa, ON

Lothario to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0
He was a heroin addict, sounds like she disowned him. A guy from the mission who was on the radio said he rode the bus from Saskatoon with him a few weeks ago. He was on his way back from BC. Seemed like a mostly normal guy according to him.
Wonder if he stole the car, gun most likely black market.

Seems to be the result of a 'knocked up" encounter where the parents tried to make it work.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by Lothario:

Seems to be the result of a 'knocked up" encounter where the parents tried to make it work.

Seems highly speculative to say that....

Lothario
Ottawa, ON

Lothario

Court records in Montreal showed Zehaf-Bibeau was born to Susan Bibeau in 1982 after she had a brief relationship with Bulgasem Zehaf. The two had a rocky relationship but were married in 1989, Bulgasem said in an affidavit.

"After (his) birth, his mother, Susan Bibeau and I renewed our relationship and I also established links with my son," Zehaf said in the affidavit. "I was entitled to ... look after his education, his security, and to give him all my love."

The parents petitioned in 1995 to change their son's name from Joseph Paul Michael Bibeau to Joseph Paul Michael Abdallah Bulgasem Zehaf Bibeau. Zehaf was also registered as the child's father at the time.

"We have no explanation to offer. I am mad at our son, I don't understand and part of me wants to hate him at this time," his mother, a civil servant, said in her statement.

Media reports said his father was a businessman of Libyan descent, and that his son had spent time in Libya before moving to Western Canada to work as a laborer. The affidavit said his father was a Canadian citizen.
analog andy
join:2005-01-03
Surrey, BC

analog andy

So basically a mentally unstable guy short circuits and for what ever reason goes on a suicide mission. Normal crime as usual.

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
Canada

BonezX to BigSensFan

Premium Member

to BigSensFan
said by BigSensFan:

meaning?? Why check on who currently works there?

When I was there MOST of the people (workers) had no or very little religious affiliation. The chaplains were either Pentecostal (me), United Church or Catholic (we were a 'Christian' organization)

The residents, it would be hard to track many of them as we had a highly transient population at the Mission. Yes we had 'regulars' but many more non regulars. 10 days would be a short stay in all honesty

better to check, then to not look at all, if someone is trying to actively recruit otherwise vulnerable people in shelters it would be good to do something about it now rather then later.

Also as it stands there doesn't seem to be any moral code to the actions that have taken place, it's bad juju regardless of what country you are from to fight in a cemetery(or tomb) or garrison a church, so i wouldn't put it past someone of that specific ideology to take advantage of the homeless or otherwise at risk groups.
said by analog andy:

So basically a mentally unstable guy short circuits and for what ever reason goes on a suicide mission. Normal crime as usual.

yea, he might have just gone all unhinged, but that was some pretty specific targeting that happened, and not even a day after the incident in Quebec.
Expand your moderator at work
jaberi
join:2010-08-13

jaberi to TigerLord

to TigerLord

said by TigerLord:

hear hear....in addition to your statement, i'am having a hard time understanding why the government is not allowing these dudes to go and fight in the name of Islam?.....a one way ticket to the war zone, and don't you come back no more....it only escalates their anger and will create more violence on their home turf.

Lothario
Ottawa, ON

Lothario

Because they are Canadian citizens and the bleeding hearts on the left will want to welcome them back here with open arms if they survive.
For example Khadr...
jaberi
join:2010-08-13

jaberi

said by Lothario:

Because they are Canadian citizens and the bleeding hearts on the left will want to welcome them back here with open arms if they survive.
For example Khadr...

probable, but what are their chances of survival?.....as well as what makes you think their superiors over there would allow them to go back to Canada?....once they join that regime, they ain't coming back, they will be used and die in the name of Allah....converted Jihadists basically sign their own death warrant.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by jaberi:

probable, but what are their chances of survival?.....as well as what makes you think their superiors over there would allow them to go back to Canada?....once they join that regime, they ain't coming back.

Unless their superiors order them to, for a purpose....

Jackorama
I Am Woman
Premium Member
join:2008-05-23
Kingston, ON

Jackorama to BonezX

Premium Member

to BonezX
said by BonezX:

said by analog andy:

yea, he might have just gone all unhinged, but that was some pretty specific targeting that happened, and not even a day after the incident in Quebec.

Yes, a mentally unstable guy who believes he can be important to the cause of ISIS and received riches in the afterlife. And they really think it's true. There will be more to come with all the mental illness on the streets, a lot of them don't live in reality all the time. So, not a normal crime as usual. Chances are if he didn't believe the cause, he would have gone about his normal in/out of reality day and an innocent person wouldn't have been shot. Government partly to blame for shoddy at best mental health programs.

Talking to some military people and their family's today. A lot of them want to suit up and fight. They say that doing nothing is not going to stop this and ISIS believes that they are wining because Canada is not fighting back.
analog andy
join:2005-01-03
Surrey, BC

analog andy

said by Jackorama:

said by BonezX:

said by analog andy:

Yes, a mentally unstable guy who believes he can be important to the cause of ISIS and received riches in the afterlife. And they really think it's true. There will be more to come with all the mental illness on the streets, a lot of them don't live in reality all the time. So, not a normal crime as usual. Chances are if he didn't believe the cause, he would have gone about his normal in/out of reality day and an innocent person wouldn't have been shot. Government partly to blame for shoddy at best mental health programs.

Talking to some military people and their family's today. A lot of them want to suit up and fight. They say that doing nothing is not going to stop this and ISIS believes that they are wining because Canada is not fighting back.

Sure bud that's why the US won over... OR Russia... Or lol
Expand your moderator at work
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to Lothario

Premium Member

to Lothario

said by Lothario:

For example Khadr...

Khadr was dragged overseas by his dear papa and brainwashed.
And there's still no definitive proof that would stand up in a real court of law that he actually did anything wrong.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
said by vue666:

On our local talk radio the audience seemed to be split on the discussion whether or not our military should wear their uniforms in public.

Audience opinion is irrelevant, National Defense has issued orders that various levels of Canadians involved with the armed forces are not to wear their uniforms in public until further notice.

Furthermore, many community events even loosely tied to the military have been cancelled, like banquets and Halloween parties at community centers that host cadet corps.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

1 edit

MaynardKrebs to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
So the shooter appealed to a BC judge in 2011 to send him to jail...... saying he needed to go there so he could get it together before he did something.....

»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/b ··· .2810683

Yesterday he did something to try to get sent back to jail. Didn't work out for him

But it wasn't an act of T E R R O R I S M.
It was just murder.

But we're all going to pay for it with our freedoms.
[deleted]

At least Justin Trudeau got it right
»www.huffingtonpost.ca/20 ··· Politics