Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo

MVM

Router Update? - Question

I'm stuck in the dark ages with a Rev. D router and for the most part, all is okay. I have 75/75 Internet.

My Actiontec has Wi-Fi off and it feeds an Apple Airport Extreme ac which is in bridge mode and Wi-Fi on. Things run pretty well but I do get the occasional interruption of the Internet connection. It's very random and all indicators show Wi-Fi and Internet is up, etc, I just get a hang when trying to access the Internet and it plays havoc on some devices.

Given my router is old and in general it appears to be working, do I have any options for asking VZ for an updated router without being charged? I honestly can't prove the Actiontec is the problem. It's probably some kind of incompatibility between the Actiontec and Apple's firmware but that's not VZ's problem. My thought is just getting a more current piece of hardware may help. Let's face it, the Rev. D is ancient.

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

There's a way to get a Rev.F for shipping only.
There's a way to get a Rev.I for $75.
And you could simulate a hard failure and get a replacement no charge, with the luck of the draw to get either a F, G or I.

Search forum for the details. Tablet is more cumbersome than a desktop. Will look for links later.

Nezmo
MVM
Coppell, TX

Nezmo

MVM

Thanks. I found the 'pay shipping only' deal. I'm giving it a whirl.
nickfie
join:1999-11-23
Wynnewood, PA

nickfie

My friend & I both replaced our Rev A (no letter on the sticker) via "pay shipping only" option and got Rev I. Definitely better throughput.

Nezmo
MVM
Coppell, TX

Nezmo

MVM

Rev. F arrived today.

When I switch out the router will I have any downtime while it's new MAC address syncs with VZ?
Myzteziz
join:2014-06-26
Port Richey, FL

Myzteziz

You shouldn't no. Anytime I've switched Verizon owned routers they worked immediately after.

Nezmo
MVM
Coppell, TX

Nezmo

MVM

said by Myzteziz:

You shouldn't no. Anytime I've switched Verizon owned routers they worked immediately after.

Thanks.
serge87
join:2009-11-29
New York

serge87 to birdfeedr

to birdfeedr
said by birdfeedr:

And you could simulate a hard failure and get a replacement no charge, with the luck of the draw to get either a F, G or I.

Tell Verizon support your Rev. D keeps crashing when you do anything that requires a large NAT table. Free Rev. I

Nezmo
MVM
Coppell, TX

Nezmo

MVM

said by serge87:

said by birdfeedr:

Tell Verizon support your Rev. D keeps crashing when you do anything that requires a large NAT table. Free Rev. I

Well, I have the F now. While I can now access pages on the router I couldn't on the old one, I do not think the F has solved my occasional Internet freeze. So, I am back to thinking my AirPort Extreme is at fault. Lots of discussion on the Web about that but no conclusive answers.
snic
join:2009-10-14
usa

snic to Myzteziz

to Myzteziz
When I replaced one Actiontec with another it wouldn't work at all to connect to the internet until I cloned the MAC address from the old router! Then it worked immediately.

Lt Belspur
join:2003-11-15
Sarasota, FL

Lt Belspur to Nezmo

to Nezmo
You have to release the WAN IP first before changing to any other router.

Or you can turn off the router and wait 2 hours for the lease to expire.

Then you could hook up your new router. It should connect.
mna
join:2002-01-29
Reston, VA

mna

I believe that you have to release the WAN IP if you are on DHCP. It doesn't apply if you are on PPPoE.

Rattler
join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA

Rattler to Nezmo

to Nezmo
When I replaced my "C" with the "I", I released the WAN lease on the old one, installed the new one but it took about 5 minutes for everything to settle in and get full internet connectivity. It's been smooth sailing since.
hemigod
Premium Member
join:2005-04-09
Bryceville, FL

hemigod to birdfeedr

Premium Member

to birdfeedr
said by birdfeedr:

There's a way to get a Rev.F for shipping only.

I tried the pay shipping only option here in SE Pennsylvania and they sent me a Rev E refurb. Some people are luckier than others I guess. This was during the last week of October, 2014. I would have thought the Rev E would have long since been out of inventory. Not true.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

Throw it on eBay and try again

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

4 edits

bohratom to Nezmo

to Nezmo
I noticed that router upgrade offer last month by just paying the shipping fee but I was hesitant since my router has no monthly fee. Can those that have upgraded using the "shipping fee only" confirm that Verizon has not started charging you a rental fee for a full billing cycle?

That was the only reason I did not try to upgrade my Rev D router earlier....

Rattler
join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA

Rattler

I ordered my replacement router in Sep. (shipped 09/29). I got a Rev. I. No $4.99 rental charge appeared on my October bill. My Nov bill is not shown, yet.

Nezmo
MVM
Coppell, TX

Nezmo to mna

MVM

to mna
said by mna:

I believe that you have to release the WAN IP if you are on DHCP. It doesn't apply if you are on PPPoE.

I am DHCP.

I did not release the WAN IP. I took the old router out and put the new one in immediately. It worked right away.
gadgetboyj
Premium Member
join:2009-08-25
Staten Island, NY

gadgetboyj to bohratom

Premium Member

to bohratom
said by bohratom:

...I was hesitant since my router has no monthly fee. Can those that have upgraded using the "shipping fee only" confirm that Verizon has not started charging you a rental fee for a full billing cycle?...

I've noticed that anything you order from the Verizon teleproducts page does not even require you to log in, so it does not appear they are keeping track of who orders what.