uniqs

WhaleOilBee
What a long strange trip it's been
join:2011-08-02
Manotick, ON

1 edit

WhaleOilBee

Netflix & Safari 8.0 OS-X Yosemite

Has anyone tried to watch Netflix on the latest release of Safari 8.0 included with OS X Yosemite?

It's supposed to work with HTML 5. You can set your preference in Netflix for HTML 5, but even after doing that, Netflix prompts me to load the latest version of Silverlight when I try to watch a show.

What's up with that? Is this yet another example of the Canadian version being lame as compared to the US version?

Update... According to Netflix Canada, this is supposed to work. Maybe I'm the first Canadian to try it? Damned early adapter! They raised a trouble ticket to fix it.
vonSchroeder
join:2004-11-12
Hamilton, ON

vonSchroeder

I just tried and it worked fine for me.
taraf
join:2011-05-07
Ottawa, ON

taraf to WhaleOilBee

to WhaleOilBee
Should work... do you have an app that's changing the browser string maybe? They recently changed it so that it works on Chrome on Linux as well, which I've been using for Netflix Canada, so I can't see why they'd insist on Silverlight for you.

WhaleOilBee
What a long strange trip it's been
join:2011-08-02
Manotick, ON

WhaleOilBee

I used the on-line chat with someone at Netflix; after a few back and forths, I was told that they recognized there is a problem with their HTML 5 player.

I've not run Netflix on my MAC before - because the idea of putting Microsoft software on it makes me want to vomit; just like I won't put iTunes on my PC.

This was an update to Yosemite on a Mac Mini that was running Maverick before. When I read that Safari 8.0 would support Netflix HTML 5, I wanted to try it out. The Netflix client on my Blu-Ray player connected to the same TV as the Mac is ancient and doesn't have some of the newer Netflix features.

Netflix said they will e-mail me when they resolve the issue; so, I'll wait to hear what they have to say.
Anzio
join:2008-11-22

Anzio

Interesting. I wonder where the problem is. I don't have Silverlight loaded, and the HTML5 player is working great on my end.

Definitely know what you mean. Keeping Silverlight on my machine for Netflix was irritating me.
mrdylanblue
join:2013-02-27
Brampton, ON

mrdylanblue to WhaleOilBee

to WhaleOilBee
It's also worth noting that the HTML 5 player works on Google Chrome as well.