spc
Search similar:

uniqs

AnonQuestion
@74.109.230.x

2 edits

AnonQuestion

Anon

[Connectivity] Is it true Comcast has stopped "sharing" customer connections???

Is it true that in Pittsburgh PA they have STOPPED sharing the internet??? I'm due to get there 105MB down speed PLUS all the channels EXCEPT PPV and 2 Movie channels AND Phone... Also, which modem would u reccomend??? I ABSOLUTELY H8 there Gateway modem that they give you... Thanks ALOT for all the answers that I get... Sorry for all the caps

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck

Re: Is it true???

said by AnonQuestion :

STOPPED sharing the internet???

eh, come again?

As far as modem recommendations, if you're getting phone then you will need an eMTA (just a modem/phone combo unit). One good contender is the Arris TM822G; it's available for rental and retail purchase (although you should first check with your central Comcast office to determine whether your area allows customer-owned phone/modems.)

AnonQuestion
@74.109.230.x

AnonQuestion

Anon

What I mean is that u used to share the Internet connection with yer neighbors that also have the internet thru Comcast

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17

Darknessfall

Premium Member

The neighborhood still shares the bandwidth available on their cable node.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to AnonQuestion

Premium Member

to AnonQuestion
said by AnonQuestion :

What I mean is that u used to share the Internet connection with yer neighbors that also have the internet thru Comcast

If you are referring to the public xfinitywifi hotspot that Comcast activates on its leased cable gateway boxes, that is still being done (and in fact is expanding) -- but if you get one of their leased gateways, you can log into your account on-line and disable that "feature" if you wish.

If you are referring to the ancient DSL vs cable shared line argument, both use a shared medium -- the only difference is at what point in the ISP's network is the sharing done.

AnonQuestion
@74.109.230.x

AnonQuestion

Anon

I was told that you dont share anymore, so we shall see... There due here 2morrow b-tween 12:30-2:30PM... Another ? I have is do the techs that come out to do the setup, do they go by last name to whom goes first?? IF so then I guess I WONT see them til closer to 2:30

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by AnonQuestion :

I was told that you dont share anymore, so we shall see...

Since you are being so coy about telling us what you are talking about, it is possible that you were told correctly (but if you were told anything by a Comcast sales person -- you can almost take it to the bank that it was a lie).

NetDog
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Hollywood, FL

NetDog to Darknessfall

Premium Member

to Darknessfall
said by Darknessfall:

But all systems do that.. DSL, Fibre, Cable.. All of them "share" or converge at some point in a Headend..

AnonQuestion
@74.109.230.x

AnonQuestion to NetFixer

Anon

to NetFixer
I was told by a Comcast Employee SIGH... BUT maybe there right ONLY time'll tell.... I hope there RIGHT tho...

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall to NetDog

Premium Member

to NetDog
said by NetDog:

said by Darknessfall:

But all systems do that.. DSL, Fibre, Cable.. All of them "share" or converge at some point in a Headend..

Yes, I was just answering his/her question .

To be fair though, a cable node today typically has a lower bandwidth capacity to the neighborhood(with 16 downstream/4 upstream) than fiber or a DSL cabinet. Well, there are those companies with DSL that just have terrible bandwidth capacity to their DSL cabinets.

AnonQuestion
@74.109.230.x

AnonQuestion

Anon

Thank you so very much fer the reply... I really appreciate it

mike34
Premium Member
join:2004-07-17
Central City, PA
Netgear CM500V
Asus RT-AC68

1 edit

2 recommendations

mike34 to AnonQuestion

Premium Member

to AnonQuestion
I just read this thread and I have no idea what point the OP is trying to make with the question about 'sharing' a connection.

Best I can come up with in his context is to say yes, it's shared, and so is the water he drinks, the electricity he consumes, and, by all means, the air that he breathes.

If, in his case, Comcast didn't 'share' his connection then they would run a separate wire from some mystical location to every customer. Millions of individual wires.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to AnonQuestion

Premium Member

to AnonQuestion
I would guess he's talking about the old issue pre docsys 2.0 of a neighborhood having congestion and slowdowns if everyone actually used their internet connections.

It's not been a problem for a number of years*. But yes, of course, the internet is a shared resource. Within your neighborhood you will be sharing a "node" with many other people, but your node, like all the others, has a fiber optic connection to the next hop in the great internetwork of goo that is the internet.

This document has a nice overview of how it works:
»ctcnet.us/SeattleCATVTec ··· port.pdf

* except of course for those people who are on congested nodes.

AnonQuestion
@73.174.85.x

AnonQuestion

Anon

That is EXACTLY what I was talking bout.... Tysvm for your reply
AnonQuestion

1 edit

AnonQuestion to mike34

Anon

to mike34
ty for your feedback...