Pink Pecker
Premium Member
join:2000-08-16
East Puddle
·Shoreham Telephone

3 edits

koam

Premium Member

Phone vs. App vs. SD Storage / How to free up APP STORAGE?

HTC EVO 4G LTE

Settings / Storage

It shows 3 areas where info is stored:

App Storage: 5.81 GB / 6.07 GB
Apps 1.80 GB
Other 4.01 GB
Available 271 MB

Phone Storage: 1.43 GB / 9.93 GB
Apps 418 MB
Music 8.89 MB
Photos & Videos 1.02 GB
Downloads 3.29 MB
Available 8.50 GB

SD Storage: 4.02 GB / 29.57 GB
Available 25.54 GB

I'm frequently warned about running out of space. Obviously this must be due to the small amount left in "App Storage" because the other two areas have many GBs free.

I guess App storage is a finite space pre-defined on the phone. How can I see what "Other 4.01 GB" within App Storage is? Is it Android overhead?

I have moved every app that I can. It's confusing to me where the apps get moved to. I'd rather that they go to SD if they can.

I would like to move as much as possible to the SD. Look at the itemized list in "Phone Storage". Is there an easy way to move some or all of that to the SD Storage?
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope

Premium Member

Re: Phone vs. App vs. SD Storage

I see no reason why you'd not store music, photos, downloads and video on the SD card. Most apps that create those files have a setting that allow you to choose where these files are created. Moving them would appear to free up about 1GB of storage on the phone. Check you camera settings to see where it's storing photos and video.

After that, go into settings and Applications. If you can move some of an app to the SD card then there will bee a button allowing this. Personally if I use the app and especially if its a few MB then I leave it on on the phone.

From what I see, it's the files I mentioned above that are killing your phone storage space.

koam
Pink Pecker
Premium Member
East Puddle
·Shoreham Telephone

1 edit

koam

Premium Member

Thanks. I did find the way to change the default location for photos, music, etc. It's in Settings, Storage, scroll to the bottom, Storage Settings.

• What's the best way to move all the existing photos and music, etc. over to the SD card and put them in the right place so that the apps find the content?

• Also, how can I see what "Other 4.01 GB" within App Storage is? Is it Android overhead?
tcope
Premium Member
Sandy, UT

tcope

Premium Member

I'd plug the phone into a computer and drag/drop the files into the folder your application is now using to store the files.

At the same time I'd use your computer to view all the folders and files being stored on the phone to know what is taking up room. I'd be careful not to move data files but files like photos, video, documents, etc. could be moved as you see fit.

koam
Pink Pecker
Premium Member
East Puddle
·Shoreham Telephone

1 edit

koam

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
Thank you. I am trying to do what you suggested via the computer now.
I am finding it a little bit confusing. Here's why: When I attach the EVO to the Win 7 computer with a USB cord, In my Windows Explorer, I can see the following items added to "My Computer" :

Devices with Removable Storage
• Removable Disk (E:)
• Removable Disk (F:)
both of these are defined as HTC Android Phone USB Devices and contain 0 files and 0 folders according to Windows.
I can find nothing in those E: and F: drives via Windows Explorer.

Portable Devices
• EVO - Portable Media Player

Within EVO I can see two file folders:
• Internal Storage (8.49 GB Free of 9.93 GB)
• SD Card (25.5 GB Free of 29.5 GB)

(Note that there isn't a third "App Storage" folder, which is what I see in Android>Settings>Storage)

So Windows is telling me that there is a lot of space free in "Internal Storage" (but if there are Music or Photo files in Internal Storage, I'd still like to move them to SD)

When I look at MUSIC in Internal Storage, I find 0 files and folders

When I look at MUSIC in SD Card, I find about 25 folders, each containing an album of music.

I cannot find other Music on the Internal Storage (by searching for MUSIC), but I may not be searching correctly. So when Android tells me that there is 8.89 MB of music on the "Phone Storage" (not much, right?) I don't know how to find that.

Pictures: When I look at DCIM folder in INTERNAL STORAGE, I find a few folders. One of them is 100Media and it contains 500+ files and about 1 GB of photos.

In SD Card, there is also a DCIM folder with a 100Media folder that contains 600+ photos. These files don't have dates.

I imagine I could move the contents of the Internal Storage>DCIM>100Media folder over to the SD Card>DCIM>100Media folder. I'm currently merging all of DCIM from the Internal Storage over to the DCIM on the SD Card.

I cannot get the Tree Size Free App ( an app on Windows that lets me look at the sizes of file folders ) to recognize the folders on the EVO so that I can analyze where the big stuff is.

Once I move that 1 GB, though, how can I find out what the 4 GB of "Other" in Android "App Storage is ?
koam

koam

Premium Member

The merging of the DCIM folders over to SD via Cut and Paste is not working. Windows showed me that it was trying to move a large video file first and it took about 5 minutes and then failed to do so.
koam

koam

Premium Member

The SD card unmounted during the operation. I gave the phone a full reboot and it isn't currently showing the SD card in Settings>Storage.
koam

koam

Premium Member

Rebooted again and now the SD card is showing in Android Settings>Storage 4.03 GB / 29.5 GB
koam

koam

Premium Member

I'm trying to figure out how to reconnect the phone to the computer so that I can again see the device "EVO" and Internal Storage and SD Card folder. It has something to so with the Windows Autoplay choices and USB settings on the phone.
koam

koam

Premium Member

If I change USB File Settings on phone to Disk Drive, it allows Windows Explorer to navigate the E: Drive. But I cannot see the SD Card from Windows at this time.
koam

koam

Premium Member

If I change USB File Settings on phone to HTC Sync Manager, it displays the EVO device in Windows My Computer and I can see Internal Storage and SD Card folders again. (Documenting these steps for future reference).
koam

koam

Premium Member

Re: Phone vs. App vs. SD Storage / How to move files?

I'm now using Windows to cut a few hundred JPG photos from Internal Storage>DCIM>100Media and paste them to SD Card>DCIM>100Media.
It's taking about 10+ minutes (windows estimate) to do the move. I've encountered one duplicate file name error. Windows doesn't give the option to move and rename so that both files wind up on the destination drive. I decided to skip that file and move on.
koam

koam to tcope

Premium Member

to tcope

Re: Phone vs. App vs. SD Storage

Even though I used Windows Explorer's CUT and PASTE to move 400+ files from Internal Storage to SD Card, it did not remove the files from the source drive. It left them there. Why didn't CUT work?

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser

Premium Member

Does delete work? I use ES File Explorer app for a lot of this stuff.
tcope
Premium Member
Sandy, UT

tcope to koam

Premium Member

to koam
I can't say, I don't use cut/paste I right mouse, drag and drop and select move. Should be the same thing though. If they were copied see if you now delete the old files. If you can't, then this might be why cut did not work.

koam
Pink Pecker
Premium Member
East Puddle
·Shoreham Telephone

3 edits

koam

Premium Member

Click for full size
I manually moved all those pics and videos to the SD Card and then deleted all the same stuff on Internal Storage

Image above shows how the gig has moved in Windows Explorer's view.

Here are the results, below : BEFORE on left, AFTER on right

in Android's Settings / Storage

It shows 3 areas where info is stored:

App Storage: 5.81 GB / 6.07 GB 5.83 / 6.07
• Apps 1.80 GB 1.82
• Other 4.01 GB 4.01
• Available 271 MB 244

So App Storage (where the problem is) has not improved.

Phone Storage: 1.43 GB / 9.93 GB 459 / 9.93
• Apps 418 MB 423
• Music 8.89 MB 8.89
• Photos & Videos 1.02 GB 15.63 MB (big change)
• Downloads 3.29 MB 3.29
• Other 8.62 MB 8.62
• Available 8.50 GB 9.48 (big change)

SD Storage: 4.02 GB / 29.57 GB 4.88 / 29.57
• Available 25.54 GB 24.69

So I moved about a gig of photos, which is good, but it didn't free up "App Storage" which is still going to be a problem.
koam

koam to SparkChaser

Premium Member

to SparkChaser
Delete worked. thanks
koam

koam

Premium Member

The App Storage remains limited with only 244 MB free
The big factor in App Storage is "Other" at 4.01 GB being used.

I still haven't figured out how to take a look at the 6.07 GB that is allocated to the "App Storage"

With so much Phone Storage available (9.48 GB)...how can I make use of that for storing Apps?
Graycode
join:2006-04-17

Graycode

quote:
The big factor in App Storage is "Other" at 4.01 GB being used.
That may be the Dalvik cache, which would be a repository of Java run-time for every app and represented by a lot of "*.dex" and "*.odex" files. If you're rooted then you might see it as "/data/davlik-cache".

You may see reference to people wiping their Dalvik cache and then rebooting. Upon reboot what's needed for your apps will be rebuilt. Sometimes doing that is beneficial, but only if there was still stuff mistakenly in Davlik for old un-installed or deleted apps.

koam
Pink Pecker
Premium Member
East Puddle

koam

Premium Member

THanks. I used Windows to search for Dalvik on this but didn't find it. Likely because it's on the App Storage partition that isn't shown to me? The page or two I looked at about wiping Davlik were related to wiping or rooting the phone, I think.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0 to koam

Premium Member

to koam

Re: Phone vs. App vs. SD Storage / How to free up APP STORAGE?

Do you have a lot of heavily graphic game Apps? Many of the download a lot of graphics data besides the actual App, that could be what is taking all that space if you have a bunch of them..

koam
Pink Pecker
Premium Member
East Puddle
·Shoreham Telephone

1 edit

koam

Premium Member

Some confusion there, due to Amazon AppStore free Apps that I have. they don't show up in the "make space/Uninstall Apps" routine under Settings/Storage.

looking into it.

If I go to Settings > Apps then to All, Sort by Size, I see the top ones are
Chrome at 323MB
Google Play Services 80 MB
Twitter 78 MB
Google Search 67 MB
Contacts Storage 52
Drive (Google) 52
Dropbox 49
Google Text to Speech 46

But if I go to Settings > Apps then "On Phone Storage" (which is apparently the PHone Storage area, rather than the App Storage Area where I have the problem...the summary for Phone Storage shown is 442 MB / 9.9 GB

and the top apps there are

HoQ15 54 MB (amazon app)
Amazon 38 MB
Stellarium Mobile 36 (came from Amazon Appstore)
LinkedIn 30
Amazon Music 24
Perfectly Clear 23 (from Amazon Appstore)
PayPal 20

I've confirmed that deleting from the "Phone Storage" doesn't help save space in App Storage, where space is tight. I uninstalled HoQ15 and Stellarium and it freed up space only in Phone Storage, but the "Other" 4 GB in App Storage did not decrease and the Available space in App Storage didn't increase.

Gonna keep looking.
koam

koam

Premium Member

Looking at this post, »forum.xda-developers.com ··· =2151724 the guy had 12.5 GB in "OTHER" (but a much larger total App Storage of 14 GB and a very small Phone Storage partition of only 2GB). Then he wiped his phone and restored it and he was left with the same 4 GB in "OTHER" in app storage and a total App storage of 6GB .... with a potential 2 GB for Apps in the App Storage "partition" ---- which is just like mine. He acknowledges that before the wipe that his partitions were somehow wrong.

But given that he wiped and wound up with what I have.... I think maybe what I have is what it's supposed to be. 4 GB in Other is for OS/reserved for updates etc. and a max of 2GB for Apps in the App Storage partition.
koam

koam

Premium Member

Less than 3 months later, I'm back in the same situation.

Running out of space on App Storage 5.64 GB used, 437 MB available out of 6.07 GB total.

Clicking on "Make more space" it doesn't distinguish which location Apps are stored in. There are no more Apps to move from App Storage over to Phone (or SD) Storage.
GLIMMER
join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

HTC drop the ball with the evo line. That is os overhead. Everyone I know that had an evo got rid of it due to crap like this.

Tel
join:2001-10-12
Mauldin, SC

Tel to koam

to koam
I find it much easier to use ES Explorer for some reason. It's easy to distinguish between internal SD, external SD, and device memory.
BTW, this is an unusual thread. Something like 25 posts with 18 being from the OP.

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3 to koam

Premium Member

to koam
It's probably the way HTC has the phone set up. I only have 3G of app space, but my phone apparently leaves just the open and basic command there, and puts the rest on storage. I do have the ability to move to phone or storage. You can put photos and media directly on external sd.

I use apps with huge databases. I was worried about lack of space, but I have alll of these apps installed now, and still have over 1.5G free.

Most of Audubon apps - birds, flowers, trees, mushrooms
iBird Pro
Sibley Birds
Other Wildflower, trees, mushroom and weed apps. at least 4 apps
Sky Safari Plus
Mobile Observatory
Vortex
SkEye
couple of moon apps
my installed browsers and launchers, email.
Amazon App store.

I disabled Maps and Location. Still on the phone taking up space. They were deleted from rooted Nexus 4 so that storage accounted for mostly my installed apps.

Look under Media if you have that folder, also whatever you use to play the files might have storage under its name.

This is an Oppo Find 7, stock Color OS. 4.3 equivalent. It has 17G of phone storage, 2.95 phone main, and 32G on card. I thought I'd bought a 32G model so the phone storage must be using the apps the phone came with. Anyway, I have plenty. The Nexus 4 had enough room for them but not as efficiently. I didn't like the lack of SD card and built in battery. This phone can change battery.
Some on the Oppo forum want all storage combined. They run out of room, but they also play a lot of games, movies, and other entertainment. Music doesn't take that much room - I must have ripped a dozen albums and changed them to MP3 on 4G USB stick. My car player uses USB. Dust and bouncing don't bother digital.

Since the camera is 13MP and can go up to 50 using HDR mode, I'm glad it writes to the card.

koam
Pink Pecker
Premium Member
East Puddle

koam to Tel

Premium Member

to Tel
It's called documenting the issue.
koam

2 edits

koam

Premium Member

HTC said the best approach would be factory reset. I backed up my stuff and did that and also wiped the SD card to get rid of all the old file structures associated with the OS and Apps.

After Factory Reset and installing & updating a few apps. No media files on it yet. Haven't moved any apps out of App Storage yet.

App Storage
4.71 GB used / 6.07 GB Total
Apps: 678 MB
Other: 4.05 GB (note that's bigger than 4.01 GB before factory reset)
Available: 1.36 GB

*Other in App Storage is overhead for Anroid OS/(& HTC Sense, likely) and can't be reduced, AFAIK.

Phone Storage
13 MB used / 9.93 GB Total
Apps: 9.25 MB
Photo/Vid: 1.78 MB
Other: 1.97 MB
Available: 9.92 GB

SD Card
2.25 MB used / 29.62 GB Total
Available: 29.61 GB
koam

koam

Premium Member

After the above report, I went into "Make More Space" and moved the only app that was moveable, Instagram, to the "SD Card"

Note that it SAYS it will move to SD Card, but looking at the space usage after moving, it is clear that it moved the App from App Storage to Phone Storage (not to my micro SD card)

After Moving
Available space:
App Storage: 1.42 GB (went up)
Phone Storage: 9.90 GB (went down)
SD Card 29.61 GB (unchanged)