Search similar:

uniqs

Danny Green
@213.249.147.x

Danny Green

Anon

Networking a warehouse

Hi...

This may be totally the wrong forum to be posting for such advice but I'm going to give it a go anyway!

The business I work for has a 40,000sq feet warehouse that we are planning on wireless networking....locating wireless access points in various places.

Advice...what wireless access points out there are best (combination of price & performance) & how many do you guys think I will need to cover all of the warehouse?

Thanks in advance!
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

1 recommendation

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Ruckus Wireless. »www.ruckuswireless.com/
»www.ruckuswireless.com/e ··· ehousing
»c541678.r78.cf2.rackcdn. ··· tics.pdf
»c541678.r78.cf2.rackcdn. ··· tics.pdf

Ruckus has some of the best physical wireless beam forming hardware designs in the industry. You cannot duplicate the capabilities of physical beam forming using only software as some companies attempt to do. You need the extra antenna hardware to get the best beams, to get the highest probability of connecting to any client devices.

Yes, you may have to pay for an extensive site survey to get the best possible configuration of equipment recommendations. We have done this where I work. It pays off in less fumbling around to fill in dead spots after you have done the wild slightly educated approach. A person can have just enough knowledge about a subject to get into a lot of problems, but not enough to do the task correctly the first time. The technicians who deal with the site surveys regularly can spot trouble areas early and find ways to mitigate the problems before a single piece of hardware is ordered. That pays off in the long run.

»www.tomshardware.com/rev ··· 390.html
»www.tomshardware.com/rev ··· 5-7.html
»www.tomshardware.com/rev ··· -10.html

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

I would add that a diagram of the layout would be beneficial to get an appreciation for spaces, walls and construction, floors, dimensions etc.
Where ethernet wiring outlets are available?
What are the various groups of users, are they segrated.
What are the various pieces involved, printers, switches, portable equipment that works via wifi etc.........
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to Danny Green

MVM

to Danny Green
said by Danny Green :

how many do you guys think I will need to cover all of the warehouse?

Cannot second davidhoffman See Profile enough... that much squarefootage to cover, it's best to get a site survey, and have it
done professionally. You COULD go around with a laptop and wireless accesspoint, but you're going to get what you pay
for... and the associated headaches and heartaches down the road.

My 00000010bits

Regards

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Winchester, CA

viperm to Danny Green

Premium Member

to Danny Green
We just did a 100,000 sq foot warehouse using 10 of the Ruckus R-500 units coverage as predicted in all corners. We have the Ruckus heat map software we use to predict coverage based on size, devices and warehouse variables.

You have to take into consideration what's IN the warehouse as well this will affect coverage. If its a typical warehouse with 30ft ceilings and metal racks which is what most the ones we do, Ruckus stuff works better then most anything out there hands down.

Were going to be doing a couple 1,000,000 sq foot warehouses for the same company RUCKUS all the way