Nov 3 for Sprint.

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx to IPPlanMan

to IPPlanMan
said by IPPlanMan:

Keep bringing the hurt.

Amen! One advantage that T-Mobile has is their compatible GSM network so switching from AT&T to T-Mobile is as easy as having an unlocked phone and switching SIM's. Verizon and Sprint's archaic CDMA2000 systems are the monkey wrench in the works. Add to that Sprint's refusal to remove domestic SIM locks from any of their phone's that sport a SIM slot, such as iPhone's, makes it all the more difficult to drop them.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

1 edit

IPPlanMan to michieru

to michieru
What's on November 3rd?

EDIT... Aha, Sprint financial results....

»newsroom.sprint.com/news ··· ment.htm

delusion ftl
@50.168.216.x

delusion ftl to michieru

Anon

to michieru
T-mobile's is the 28th and they are doing their earnings call "uncarrier" style that somehow involves twitter and more participation by analysts.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
Washington, DC

1 edit

IPPlanMan to n2jtx

to n2jtx
Actually, Verizon's iPhones are sold unlocked out of the box.
Sprint's current refusal is them dragging their feet to abiding by the CTIA commitment at the last possible moment.
»blog.ctia.org/2013/12/12 ··· devices/

»www.sprint.com/legal/unl ··· icy.html

I've been told by another carrier that Sprint needs to unlock my SIM slot in order to use my phone on the other carrier's network.
For eligible devices, Sprint will unlock the SIM slot, to the extent that a device SIM slot is capable of being unlocked. It is important to note that not all devices are capable of being unlocked, often because of the manufacturers' device designs, and that even for those devices capable of being unlocked, not all device functionality may be capable of being unlocked. Specifically, devices manufactured with a SIM slot within the past three years (including, but not limited to, all Apple iPhone devices), cannot be unlocked to accept a different domestic carrier's SIM for use on another domestic carrier's network. Sprint has no technological process available to do this. In accordance with Sprint's voluntary commitment contained within CTIA's Consumer Code for Wireless Service ("Unlocking Commitment"), Sprint is working to ensure that all devices developed and launched on or after February 11, 2015, are capable of being unlocked domestically.

------------
Sprint had its people word this very carefully, but there are cracks. They said "Sprint has no technological process"... But they never said Apple didn't.
------------

I have been told that my device is not capable of being unlocked and/or does not have a corresponding MSL code. What can I do?
Many devices that have been manufactured for Sprint simply are not capable of being unlocked, or will not have a corresponding MSL code. For example, Sprint-branded iPhones have been manufactured in a way that prevents them from being unlocked to allow the device to activate on a different carrier's network in the United States. This is because, prior to the development of the voluntary commitment contained in CTIA's Consumer Code for Wireless Service ("Unlocking Commitment") carriers were not required to, and many carriers did not, develop their devices to be capable of being unlocked. Sprint strongly encourages owners of such devices to consider Sprint's Buyback Program, which may enable them to trade in their old devices to receive an in-store credit toward the purchase of a new device or to receive an account credit. For more information, visit sprint.com/buyback. To help resolve this problem, Sprint has committed to ensure that all of its devices produced after February 11, 2015, are capable of being unlocked.

-------

Now it's produced? Sprint said "Developed and launched" in the previous FAQ...

Jeezus Sprint... Which is it?

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx

said by IPPlanMan:

To help resolve this problem, Sprint has committed to ensure that all of its devices produced after February 11, 2015, are capable of being unlocked.

Now it's produced? Sprint said "Developed and launched" in the previous FAQ...

Jeezus Sprint... Which is it?

When did that language change? It must have happened within the past seven days as I just read the page last week.

Even Sprint cannot figure out what the heck they doing. I will take it to mean any device (ex. iPhone) with a date of manufacture AFTER February 11, 2015. Makes it all the more restrictive.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
Washington, DC

2 edits

1 recommendation

IPPlanMan

I just noticed this today myself.

Sooooo.... according to that second FAQ:

"For example, Sprint-branded iPhones have been manufactured in a way that prevents them from being unlocked to allow the device to activate on a different carrier's network in the United States."

---------

So Sprint asked for this to be done by Apple as part of the specifications...

On February 11, 2015, will Sprint ask Apple to modify the iPhone 6/6 Plus currently in production so that it be unlocked?
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to IPPlanMan

Premium Member

to IPPlanMan
I don't think At&t is hurting too much.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan

You sure about that?

thxultra
@38.103.109.x

thxultra to IPPlanMan

Anon

to IPPlanMan
T-moblie has been putting big bucks into their network also. I hope they can build out and be able to compete with AT&T and Verizon. I live in a urban area and T-Mobile has been great. Had sprint before and what a joke their network was.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to IPPlanMan

Premium Member

to IPPlanMan
They have well over 100 million subscribers and are still adding. I'd say T-Mobile's impact has been highly exaggerated.

Eddy120876
join:2009-02-16
Bronx, NY

Eddy120876 to IPPlanMan

to IPPlanMan
The only saving grace of sprint Iphone modification is their plan price. had it not been for the 50 dollar deal sprint would be in life support

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

IPPlanMan

Agreed....

Sprint also had to address a huge iPhone purchase commitment they made to Apple...

Hesse discussed this in an August 2012 article in The Wall Street Journal...

»allthingsd.com/20120807/ ··· illions/

"We committed to $15.5 billion over four years in purchases," Hesse said. "That's a large commitment."