Search similar:

uniqs

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord

Assassin Creed's Unity locked at 900p 30fps

Ubisoft is at it yet again.

This time they decided to limit the new AC game at 900p 30fps for "cinematic" reasons.

»youtu.be/whblEgTZ6GE?lis ··· 7PVjHXKQ

Not sure if these limitations apply to PC, I guess (hope) not.
Gami00
join:2010-03-11
Mississauga, ON

Gami00

said by TigerLord:

well, if they actually believe the crap they're spewing regarding how it's better at 900p and 30 FPS.. than they should lock it on the PC version to the same settings..

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
join:2009-10-13
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia to TigerLord

to TigerLord
If they're actually going to use System Requirements like these ones rumored by PC Gamer, then it sure as shit won't be. I mean, it is a Ubisoft game, and an AC game no less so it'll be one I skipped, but like how fucking bloated this shit is:

Operating System : Windows ® 7 SP1, Windows 8 / 8.1 ® (64 -bit version only supported)
CPU: Intel Core® i5-2500K @ 3.3 GHz or AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 GHz or higher (Intel Core® i7-3770 @ 3.4 GHz or AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 GHz or more recommended)
RAM: 6 GB or more (8 GB or more recommended)
Graphics Card : NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 680 or AMD Radeon HD 7970, graphics memory 2GB or more (NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 780 or AMD Radeon R9 290X, graphics memory 3 GB or more recommended)
Sound Card : Direct X 9.0c compatible sound card and the latest drivers
HDD: 50 GB or more

Considering what the current gen has for hardware these just seems like another hack job from Ubisoft with a total disregard for actually giving a fucking effort at porting and optimizing their shit.

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord

I doubt they have time for optimization... as soon as the game goes gold I'd bet what is left of my right testicle that the entire team is immediately assigned to work on the AC game that will come out two or three years later.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
join:2010-08-24
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

TotalBiscuit released a video about this. He said that originally, those specs are for PS4 and XBOX in order to avoid controversy and enforce parity between consoles. Obviously the PS4 crowd went nuts since the hardware is superior to the XBOne so they came back and said that.

It is unknown if ths will appy to the PC vesion which I wont believe what will fuck a lot of people with high end gear.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
Why do people keep purchasing games from this shit company?

(that's a rhetorical question)

The only Ubisoft game I've actually bought in the last couple years, was Far Cry 3 (on sale). And even that game wasn't that great in my opinion.

I got AC Black Flag and Splinter Cell for free with my 780 purchase.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia to TigerLord

to TigerLord
And there is the joke of it all. Rush out an unfinished (cause if you can't be bothered to fix and optimize your game then it is unfinished) so you can start on another pile of shit and people keep buying this crap.

Why the FUCK do people keep giving this shit company their fucking money?
Gami00
join:2010-03-11
Mississauga, ON

Gami00 to TigerLord

to TigerLord
Ubisoft doesn't port their games to PC at all now.. they have some third party company do it now. I remember hearing about it from TB either from one of his rants/content patch vids, or from the CO-OP show.

the third party porting company does a pretty mediocre job at it..

about the usual Ubisoft standards...

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
Mexico

Jobbie to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone
On my side I love the AC series so I have to stuck with it in order to play a game I love.

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord

I buy my AC games on sale at Christmas, usually the previous year's game so I get it for something like 7.50$ and play with a controller.

AC3 sucked, I skipped it after the prologue.

I am enjoying Black Flags right now, it's truly a good game.

I would never pay full price, let alone full price + 15% tax like the peasants here do for a Ubi game.

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV

diablo18926 to TigerLord

to TigerLord
Wow another game that has a FPS cap.

Crackers make such stuff to unlock it so why buy it if you're just gonna get something from the pirates that unlock something?

TigerLord

Canada

1 recommendation

TigerLord

Because in one instance you're supporting the product and are merely unlocking its potential.

In the other instance, you are stealing and not contributing to the economy in any shape or form.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia

said by TigerLord:

Because in one instance you're supporting the product and are merely unlocking its potential.

In the other instance, you are stealing and not contributing to the economy in any shape or form.

Not that I condone pirating, because I don't, but by buying said product you're basically supporting getting a half finished product and saying "Please Ubisoft, skip the lube next time you decide to fuck me, I don't mind."

Is that a little exaggerated? Sure, but basically that is how I would look at it.

TigerLord

Canada

2 recommendations

TigerLord

The answer then is not to buy it and skip the game altogether. Piracy is having your cake and eating it too.

Or buy it heavily discounted. I paid 7.50$ for Black Flags, which is less than my occasional bacon egg mcmuffin breakfast trio costs. I am passed 20h in Black Flags and only halfway done, so the entertainment value is worth the amount invested.

The peasants who pay 69.99+15% tx are the true tools.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

I got AS3 for free, haven't purchased BF. Prolly not going to, this genre has devolved. Last one I played was Brotherhood.

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord

IV is awesome dude, they captured the open world feeling of Skyrim but in a pirate world. Naval combat is a blast. Story is interesting.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

said by TigerLord:

IV is awesome dude, they captured the open world feeling of Skyrim but in a pirate world. Naval combat is a blast. Story is interesting.

This I agree, AC3 was a piece of crap but Black Flag is just awesome. Naval combat in a storm. It is all I have to say.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium Member
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!

Goggalor

Premium Member

AC3 is fun because the traversal out in the woods was a nice change of pace. However, the voice actor for Connor (the protagonist) was just so uninterested in the role (no inflection whatsoever; it is like listening to Ben Stein in FBD) that it really made the game less fun.

AC4, overall, is awesome. My only complaint was that the main storyline is a bit incoherent (much of that because it didn't follow the previous storylines with Desmond, whom I liked, mainly since he was voiced by Nolan North).

As for the cap, I believe that was only for the consoles, which made the PS4 folks go up in arms since the PS4 is able to do 1080p, while the 'bone is stuck at 900p (until that update comes out that frees up memory that is reserved for the Kinect).

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

That is the only reason I played AC3 just to give closure to the Desmond storyline. AC4 is opening a new story with the same support characters so I want to see what is going to happen in Unity.

LIke Tigerlord said I will wait for the next sale to get this with all the DLC at a cheaper price. Even when I love the series I don't think Ubisoft deserves full price for it.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium Member
Your Mind!

Goggalor

Premium Member

Maybe it's because I've played all of them on consoles, but I'm not jaded like you all by Ubi. *shrug*

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV

diablo18926 to TigerLord

to TigerLord
So why are they capping? I don't think I understand what's with the FPS capping.

From my understanding, it does something for the console port.. If it is meant for console then why don't they spend the extra 3 minutes to do some code changing so that the cap has been lifted for pc port?

Thanks to whoever can answer.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
Lincoln, NE

1 recommendation

Adalicia

It isn't know if the game will actually be capped for PC. If it is FPS capped for PC it will be "fixed" by the gaming community.

The reason games are capped on consoles is because it allows the game to maintain a "smooth" frame rate with more eye candy. Rather than having the game play better at 60 FPS they would have it look "better" at 30 FPS. Where as the PC is involved there is no reason to have it look better and play better because the hardware in most gaming PCs are well ahead of the consoles. To have locked resolutions or FPS caps on PC is just lazy on the part of the developer.

They like to pretend that 30 FPS and shit resolutions are to make games feel more "cinematic" and "artistic." Really they're just full of shit.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

1 recommendation

ekster

Premium Member

The 30 FPS cap is lame.

They should go for a 24 FPS + blur to give it a proper cinematic feel.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia

said by ekster:

They should go for a 24 FPS + blur to give it a proper cinematic feel.

Make a movie and not a video game then. Lower frame rates do not make for a more cinematic experience. Using film as the scapegoat is silly. You have a medium that has been around for over a century and the population has gotten used to and thus expects and accepts 24 FPS in their movies. So much so that when Jackson did the Hobbit at 48 FPS it felt super weird. Not that it was inherently bad, folks just weren't used to it. Decade upon decade upon decade of reinforcement to the standard ensures that it would feel awkward.

But in the end, it doesn't matter. They're making games, not movies. Games play better, more responsively, the higher the frame rate is and become more sluggish and less responsive the further down it goes. There is no reason 60 FPS shouldn't be the target for any game developer (with rare exceptions, generally tied to very specific animation techniques) and if that means cutting down some eye candy? So be it.
Aarond
join:2014-10-31
romania

Aarond to TigerLord

to TigerLord
Last Ubisoft game I got was Farcry 3 I think, and that for free as a gift from somebody who owed me some cash. I don't care how awesome their games are, or how much entertainment value they present I just can't support this company. I'm not downloading their games either trough other means...I just don't want to have anything to do with them anymore until they stop with this cinematic, 30fps is enough BS.

Also those specs? WTF

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
good thing i took the time to compare the h-ware between both consoles, made a decision, waited 6 months for stock to arrive, paid $50 more (price increase), only to have games dumbed down due to the competitor.
No, no buyers' remorse here.....
Assholes.

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord to Aarond

to Aarond
I never finished Farcry 3 but it kept crashing with my crossfire config and I never fixed the problem.

Lame.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
Mexico

Jobbie to Aarond

Premium Member

to Aarond
Thanks to steam sales I don't have to pay full price unless I really really (reaaaaaaallly) want the game.

TRU
join:2005-07-21
Michigan

TRU to TigerLord

to TigerLord
said by TigerLord:

Doubt it. Based on the system requirements for the PC version 900p and 30fps doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense. At those limitations, most PC's won't have any trouble running the game at all. And you'd hardly need a GTX 680 or GTX 780 for 900p & 30 fps.

So to answer your question: Those are not limitations for the PC version. Likely only for the console versions (which is crazy tbh... so much for "next-gen consoles". What a huge joke those terms are).

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium Member
Your Mind!

Goggalor to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
You really are missing out on a fantastic game. I believe I put 30+ hours into it.

Also, if you get a chance, try out the standalone of FC3 called Blood Dragon. Since most of us on this forum grew up in the 80s, this game will bring back so much nostalgia with its neon lights that are pretty much everywhere (including the enemies), its 8-bit cutscenes that show a few static images, and general shit-talking one-liners spewing from your character (who is voiced by Michael Biehn, the guy who played Reese in Terminator and Hicks in Aliens).