Search similar:

uniqs

Blockgorilla
Sarcasm is my native tongue
join:2010-02-11
Wichita, KS

Blockgorilla

Let's talk desks...

I'm upgrading my office furniture as I'm sure the people who I talk to over voice-comms will appreciate (no more squeaking office chair). I am planning on ordering one of the DX-Racer chairs as soon as I can plant my butt in one in person. My biggest issue is a new desk. My wife is inheriting my current desk which is about 48" deep x 62" wide. I lose alot of the functionality of the desktop becuase it has a monitor shelf that is 12" deep x 40" wide and I use just about every square inch of that space. Underneath the monitor shelf is about 6-8" of space, enough to shove my keyboard/mouse, etc underneath it when I need the flat desk space or the wife decides to clean my desk to make it look nicer while I'm at work.

I've been spending alot more time at the computer, more than just gaming, since I have gone back to school for software engineering and am taking alot of different programming classes at the moment. I'm looking for a new desk that will give me the free space for three monitors, a normal height from floor to top of desk, and enough room on the desk for the gaming/work equipment.

I'm looking for some opinions that people have/use something they really like/dislike.

**also, my current desk does not allow for a multi-monitor stand as it's not thick enough for a stand to be mounted onto it (it's glass) and it's not really stable enough for a multi-monitor to stand on (in my opinion, b/c of kids, the desks current location, etc).
Blockgorilla

Blockgorilla

I wouldn't mind one of these either though, the website, »mwelab.com/index.php/en/

I like how this desk has different area's for different peripherals and then I can get a cheap, plain, flat desk for paperwork, etc in an L shaped config with a printer/cpu stand in the corner.
The site won't let me save the pic to post here but it's the desk in the link here »djfredi.com/computer-des ··· ming-pc/

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
join:2009-10-13
Lincoln, NE

1 recommendation

Adalicia

Hm. That thing..is actually kind of interesting. Does it come with a black trench coat for when you're in the Matrix?

Blockgorilla
Wichita, KS

Blockgorilla

no, it's the cheap version for $5,995 and that's not including monitors/PC and presumably, shipping

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
join:2010-08-24
Mexico

Jobbie to Adalicia

Premium Member

to Adalicia
I needs some blinds around it for uhm... erhm.. Star Citizen

Mentat
Premium Member
join:2001-02-25
Houston, TX

Mentat to Blockgorilla

Premium Member

to Blockgorilla
The Galant series from Ikea is a proven winner, although they're changing the name and making some subtle changes.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI

1 edit

Snuffbox to Blockgorilla

Premium Member

to Blockgorilla
Not sure if serious.

If you have any of the following, don't buy a $5,000+ desk:
Student Loans
Mortgage
Car Loan
Credit Card Debt

Blockgorilla
Wichita, KS

Blockgorilla

I'm really looking for a new desk and was asking if anyone had anything, not a dining table, that they would recommend.

Rogue Wolf
An Easy Draw of a Sad Few
join:2003-08-12
Troy, NY

Rogue Wolf to Adalicia

to Adalicia
Never mind a black trench coat; I want to know how to activate Death Blossom Mode.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Blockgorilla

Premium Member

to Blockgorilla
I have this... lots of shelf space/etc. With the riser on the top taken off, I can fit all 3x 24" monitors...

»www.amazon.com/RTA-Produ ··· 01TKW8RI

And I have my tower sitting on one of these off to the side: »www.amazon.com/gp/produc ··· F8&psc=1

Energystream
Premium Member
join:2010-04-16
Ridgewood, NY

Energystream to Blockgorilla

Premium Member

to Blockgorilla
»www.ikea.com/us/en/catal ··· 0057854/

When I get a chance I will prob get this countertop and throw some legs on it. If I want I can go deeper with the 39 in. depth one for 195

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia to Blockgorilla

to Blockgorilla
I have this thing. Works fine (I don't run multiple monitors), looks fine (in my opinion), and it was dirt cheap. So I don't care a whole lot. Does the job.

Drex
Beer...The other white meat.
Premium Member
join:2000-02-24
Not There

Drex to Blockgorilla

Premium Member

to Blockgorilla
I went with something like this. I think the one I bought is bigger though. I couldn't put a L shaped desk in my office because of where I had to put it and I wanted something simple. I then bought a wood 2 drawer cabinet and put my printer on top of it. My next project is to build a small 3' high "rack" for my ESXi lab. Problem is the wife wants it to look "nice", so that usually equates to expensive.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to Blockgorilla

Premium Member

to Blockgorilla
»www.amazon.com/dp/B00EP6 ··· rk+table

This is the little side table I bought to house my PC tower. It fits perfectly next to my desk.

I put my Logitech Z623 Sub underneath.

GCoop
join:2004-12-08
Charlottesville, VA

GCoop to Snuffbox

to Snuffbox
said by Snuffbox:

Not sure if serious.

Wife
Student Loans
Mortgage
Car Loan
Credit Card Debt

Fixed that for you

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

said by GCoop:

said by Snuffbox:

Not sure if serious.

If you have any of the following, don't buy a $5,000+ desk ANYTHING:
Kids

Fixed that for you

Fixed the fix for you.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

1 recommendation

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Jobbie:

said by GCoop:

said by Snuffbox:

Not sure if serious.

Kids

Fixed that for you

Fixed the fix for you.

Yup because even if you can actually afford the desk, guilt free, your children will wreck it in a matter of seconds.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster to Blockgorilla

Premium Member

to Blockgorilla
Getting the right size of a desk is the biggest problem for me, so I got mine from Ikea. But instead of getting any of their per-built ones, I measured my room and picked out 3 top part that fit in perfectly to make an L shaped desk (a corner top, a shorter top for the left side and a longer top for the right side), then picked up some legs that fit the room and added some mending plates to keep all 3 pieces connected and stable. It worked out really well.

I got maximum desk room out of it without it getting in the way of anything, and have enough room on it for my PC, my huge printer, extra workspace for myself and a huge workspace for my wife.

GCoop
join:2004-12-08
Charlottesville, VA

GCoop to El Quintron

to El Quintron
said by El Quintron:

Yup because even if you can actually afford the desk, guilt free, your children will wreck it in a matter of seconds.

LOL

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
Mexico

Jobbie to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
Yeah I edited my post accordingly.

Drex
Beer...The other white meat.
Premium Member
join:2000-02-24
Not There

Drex to GCoop

Premium Member

to GCoop
said by GCoop:

said by El Quintron:

LOL

Damn...unfortunately that's too true. I already have scratches and such in mine from the kids.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron to Jobbie

Premium Member

to Jobbie
said by Jobbie:

Yeah I edited my post accordingly.

I saw that

I was implying is that even if your kids don't bankrupts you, they still make it so you can't own nice things.

EQ

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox

Premium Member

said by El Quintron:

they still make it so you can't own nice things.

I agree with all of the edits. ^ my second monster is on the way.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron to Drex

Premium Member

to Drex
said by Drex:

Damn...unfortunately that's too true. I already have scratches and such in mine from the kids.

Between children, a 100lbs dog and a cat, it's sheer destruction.

EQ
El Quintron

El Quintron to Snuffbox

Premium Member

to Snuffbox
said by Snuffbox:

I agree with all of the edits. ^ my second monster is on the way.

One thing about the second one: The odds are no longer in your favour and they know it.

Mine are 4 and 19months, it's great, but time is a luxury I no longer have.

Lothario
join:2009-09-30
Ottawa, ON

Lothario

Pfft, I have 3. You guys with 2 have it so easy.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

LOL I'm considering firing blanks at this point.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia

My kids names are Spending-Money and Sleeping-In. I love them to death.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Adalicia:

Sleeping-In.

Could you explain what that means? I'm unfamiliar with this term.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia

When the weekend comes around I have this magical experience where I am able to remain in bed, asleep no less, until...well whenever I want. It is borderline life changing.