Savious
Premium Member
join:2012-03-05
Billings, MT

Savious to Blockgorilla

Premium Member

to Blockgorilla

Re: Let's talk desks...

Who is for and who is against a new house?

Blockgorilla
Sarcasm is my native tongue
join:2010-02-11
Wichita, KS

1 recommendation

Blockgorilla

my wife wants to buy a house now, before the new baby. I want to wait another 12 months and then find a new job since i'll be graduating with a computer science degree and don't want to limit my options to just Wichita KS (which means I would probably be working at Koch Bro's or an airplane manufacturer
Blockgorilla

Blockgorilla

this is the series that replaced the Galant series

»www.ikea.com/us/en/catal ··· s/18960/

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS to Blockgorilla

Premium Member

to Blockgorilla
said by Blockgorilla:

my wife wants to buy a house now, before the new baby. I want.....

Yeah, you're buying a new house now.

GCoop
join:2004-12-08
Charlottesville, VA

GCoop to Blockgorilla

to Blockgorilla
said by Blockgorilla:

this is the series that replaced the Galant series
»www.ikea.com/us/en/catal ··· s/18960/

Yup -- Bekant. I couldn't configure anything out of that line to meet my needs that wasn't going to break the bank. hopefully you will have better luck.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

Exodus to Blockgorilla

Premium Member

to Blockgorilla
Ok so I'm interested in this thread, but I need to find a desk that will support 6 monitors and some space for some other shit.

Blockgorilla
Wichita, KS

Blockgorilla to GCoop

to GCoop
said by GCoop:

Yup -- Bekant. I couldn't configure anything out of that line to meet my needs that wasn't going to break the bank. hopefully you will have better luck.

The wife and I drove up to the IKEA store in Kansas City and they really weren't that expensive from what I saw, although I don't know if $400-ish dollars is breaking the bank. As long as the desk lasts 4years, I won't complain too much
Blockgorilla

1 edit

Blockgorilla to Exodus

to Exodus
I know from seeing the desktops in person, I wouldn't hesitate to secure some monitor stands to the top of this desk.

I would suggest looking at them yourself, it's well worth the drive
»info.ikea-usa.com/StoreL ··· lts.aspx

Savious
Premium Member
Billings, MT

Savious to EUS

Premium Member

to EUS
Want in one hand while your wife shits in the other.
Savious

Savious to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus
Megadesk. Dwight Schrute? Is that you?

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus to Blockgorilla

Premium Member

to Blockgorilla
74 miles to the nearest one.
Exodus

Exodus

Premium Member

What I really need is something like a cubicle, so I can just shove it in a corner in my office and work from that. They're all the same where I work. Sturdy table mounted into a cubicle wall, maybe some drawers. I just need a lot of space and I really prefer working in a corner for six monitors, rather than dead on.

Savious
Premium Member
Billings, MT

Savious

Premium Member

What are you doing that needs six monitors?

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
canada

EUS

Premium Member

Clicker Heroes, duh!

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

Koil to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus
I'm in a similar situation. I have 2 for my personal PC, and 2 for work, but on the same smallish desk and it really sucks.

The one shown earlier in this thread is kinda cool, where the screens are on horizontal bar, but that angle would kill your neck after a while I think....a little lower and it might be okay.

I basically need 2 full size desktops in a L config, but would like to find a way to accomplish this without having to take up half of the room. I've thought about KVM, but in order to use all the periphs on my personal PC, I'd have to get a higher end one, and they still don't work all they great.

Savious
Premium Member
Billings, MT

Savious

Premium Member

said by Koil:

I'm in a similar situation. I have 2 for my personal PC, and 2 for work, but on the same smallish desk and it really sucks.

The one shown earlier in this thread is kinda cool, where the screens are on horizontal bar, but that angle would kill your neck after a while I think....a little lower and it might be okay.

I basically need 2 full size desktops in a L config, but would like to find a way to accomplish this without having to take up half of the room. I've thought about KVM, but in order to use all the periphs on my personal PC, I'd have to get a higher end one, and they still don't work all they great.

Why arent you farming Chromatics for me, bitch?

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

Koil

Premium Member

Don't you have a new character to be making?

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus to Savious

Premium Member

to Savious
said by Savious:

What are you doing that needs six monitors?

Work. A lot of work.

Blockgorilla
Wichita, KS

Blockgorilla to Koil

to Koil
wouldn't you only need to have the kb/m in the KVM though, you can have all of your other peripherals plugged into your gaming PC? or through some kind of powered USB hub in the gaming pc?
Blockgorilla

Blockgorilla to Exodus

to Exodus
said by Exodus:

What I really need is something like a cubicle, so I can just shove it in a corner in my office and work from that. They're all the same where I work. Sturdy table mounted into a cubicle wall, maybe some drawers. I just need a lot of space and I really prefer working in a corner for six monitors, rather than dead on.

I would seriously suggest going to the store. The systems are very modular, not that expensive when you consider what you'd be paying commercially, and the quality is top notch.

Raible
join:2008-01-23
Plainfield, IN

3 recommendations

Raible to Blockgorilla

to Blockgorilla

Savious
Premium Member
Billings, MT

Savious

Premium Member

ROFL. Those paint skillz.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
join:2009-10-13
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia to Raible

to Raible
Seems legit.

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

Koil to Blockgorilla

Premium Member

to Blockgorilla
I'd like to reduce my monitor footprint from four down to 2, though. 2 monitor KVM's are pretty pricey, from what I've seen.

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium Member
join:2009-03-18
Sacramento, CA

Tirael to Blockgorilla

Premium Member

to Blockgorilla
I have the Bekant right corner desk. I can fit two monitors (on a stand), a HAF XB EVO case, mouse, keyboard, three cats, 4/5 surround sound speakers, DVI KVM switch, and possibly a couple of chopped up dead people. I can vouch for it's sturdiness when supporting monitors. It is about an inch thick.

saillaw
Premium Member
join:2007-05-08
Dismay

saillaw to Savious

Premium Member

to Savious
I've been thinking of building my own desk too. There is a woodworking place nearby where you can use the equipment and they have people to offer advice. I would just have to supply the wood and man power.

I doubt they have anything like that in Montana. So yould probably be better off designing your own desk using »www.magicmouse.com/h_cur ··· ous.html

and then taking it to these guys to build: »www.gnwoodworks.com/Gall ··· ery.html