All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
dglenn9000
join:2009-06-01

dglenn9000

My modem is showing someone else's PPP login

I bought a modem off ebay and plugged it in and it worked. I realized now I am suppose to put in my own PPP login info. Someone else's PPP information is already entered. Oddly enough, I reset the PPP login, it went to a generic centurylink login name. Then I restored the modem to factory setting and the guys login info came back. What is the purpose of the PPP login? Also is it possible I am I getting faster internet with their login? I ask because I am paying for 12meg and the modem shows 15.8megs. Wondering if the login has anything to do with it.

Thanks.
Stunty
join:2013-09-16
Littleton, CO

Stunty

I'm guessing the account has not been disabled yet. As you are re-using someone's device the MAC address is still stored somewhere on a database. Basically as long as it is in that database it should overwrite the PPP credentials.
At some point if this is gone, you should end up in the wall-garden (sort of step by step landing page from CenturyLink) to activate your account again.
As far as the xDSL speed goes I don't believe there is any connection between the account and the over-provisioning on the line. Enjoy it while it last.
ArizonaSteve
join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

ArizonaSteve to dglenn9000

to dglenn9000
The PPP login lets you login using your own account. At some point you need to find out your PPP username (usually your own name) and your password and enter them into the modem. It will probably shut off when the other persons account is cancelled.
brad152
join:2006-07-27
Chicago, IL

brad152 to dglenn9000

to dglenn9000
the Sync rate has nothing to do with PPP, your line was just over-provisioned since your line was stable enough to handle it. Enjoy the extra speed.