Scouts Out
Premium Member
join:2001-03-04
North Port, FL
·Comcast XFINITY

ImpldConsent

Premium Member

U-Verse Hi-Jack

OK, I don't mind the government hi-jacking my TV to broadcast an Emergency Broadcast, but this is now stupid. I turned on the television 40min ago - and autoswitched me to a local 'non-HD' channel.

I can't change it - can't do anything. For the love of everything that is Steven Hawkings - gimme the emergency message or let go of my TV!

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO

ILpt4U

Premium Member

Power Cycle (Unplug from AC Power, Reconnect to AC Power) the Receiver if this behavior continues...

ImpldConsent
Scouts Out
Premium Member
North Port, FL
·Comcast XFINITY

ImpldConsent

Premium Member

said by ILpt4U:

Power Cycle (Unplug from AC Power, Reconnect to AC Power) the Receiver if this behavior continues...

Yep, tried that. It goes to my normal 1210 (Fox News), get the red-band EBS, telling me that it will automagically change to a local channel -- 30sec later -- it does.
Nothing I can do, remote doesn't work, no 'guide'... Nada.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO

ILpt4U

Premium Member

That is, different. Can't say I've seen said behavior before, or even similar.

Does it do it on other TV/Receivers, or just this single one? And is this the DVR unit, or one of the non-DVR Receivers?

ImpldConsent
Scouts Out
Premium Member
North Port, FL
·Comcast XFINITY

ImpldConsent

Premium Member

Click for full size
EBS Message
said by ILpt4U:

That is, different. Can't say I've seen said behavior before, or even similar.

Does it do it on other TV/Receivers, or just this single one? And is this the DVR unit, or one of the non-DVR Receivers?

I'm not just making this up. I have 2 receivers - 1 DVR/Receiver - 1 Wireless STB. Happens on both. I checked my ATT U-Verse account, I'm up to date. Reset the modem. Stuck on 1 channel (not even HD for gosh-sakes!)

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

Is there something going on in your area?

This seems like really weird behavior

The EAS bar I'm used to is typically at the bottom of the screen, anyway. That being said, I haven't seen an EAS alert on the latest version of the STB software, so no data there

The fact it is happening on both receivers leads me to believe the STBs are getting the EAS alert, yet it seems they don't quite know what to do with it.

I see the issue here. I don't know what the next step would be to clear it. At least, if you can, give Tech Support a ring @ 800.288.2020 and report it as an issue
MyDogHsFleas
Premium Member
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX

MyDogHsFleas to ImpldConsent

Premium Member

to ImpldConsent
I know this sounds fake but it's real. In Austin TX, both my U-Verse and my son-in-law's have this exact issue. Emergency broadcast system has been (apparently inadvertently) activated for some subscribers, and its function is apparently to force tune you to channel 4, leave the sound off, and then send you some kind of message. Which never comes because there is none. The regular channel sound is off, all remote control functions are disabled, you cannot change to another channel.

As my son-in-law said, "We have been chosen to go to the bunkers."

Looking around the Internet I saw someone say they'd contacted AT&T support and they were aware and are working on it.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

Karl Bode to ImpldConsent

News Guy

to ImpldConsent
I've fired off an inquiry to AT&T and AT&T PR to try and get an answer on what's causing this and how many people it may be impacting (for a potential front page story if it's widespread enough).

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro to ImpldConsent

Premium Member

to ImpldConsent
While at it maybe create an option to unsubscribe from categories of EAS? I don't need a thunderstorm alert, I can see the lightning and hear the thunder... And strong wind advisory... I can see the trees bending myself, thank you, I don't need a blaring sound to wake up the kids.

ImpldConsent
Scouts Out
Premium Member
North Port, FL
·Comcast XFINITY

ImpldConsent

Premium Member

Must have been the Karl Bode See Profile fix. Picture went from the solid non-HD local channel, back to 1210 without me doing anything - automagic - love it. I now have full access to my U-Verse.

Dennis
Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL

Dennis to cowboyro

Mod

to cowboyro
said by cowboyro:

While at it maybe create an option to unsubscribe from categories of EAS? I don't need a thunderstorm alert, I can see the lightning and hear the thunder... And strong wind advisory... I can see the trees bending myself, thank you, I don't need a blaring sound to wake up the kids.

Can't...mandated by the FCC.

»transition.fcc.gov/pshs/ ··· s21.html
Sandpipers
join:2007-11-12
San Francisco, CA

Sandpipers to ImpldConsent

to ImpldConsent
»consumerist.com/2014/10/ ··· message/'

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro to Dennis

Premium Member

to Dennis
said by Dennis:

Can't...mandated by the FCC.

Doesn't say anything about not allowing an opt-out at subscriber side - just as I can opt out of cell broadcasts on my phone. I can dismiss the alert with a press of a button, so it's easily doable.
KyL416
join:2005-12-28
Tobyhanna, PA

KyL416 to ImpldConsent

to ImpldConsent
For those who missed it, the nationally syndicated Bobby Bones show used the EAS tone that would trigger a national alert in their broadcast, which is forbidden under FCC rules for this reason. The show happens to be carried on the designated EAS stations in some areas and triggered it on providers monitoring the station. The FCC and FEMA are investigating, it could result in Bobby Bones and anyone on his staff involved being suspended or fired by the syndicator along with massive fines. This type of alert is only supposed to be triggered in an extreme situation like a nuclear attack on US soil.