Premium Member
join:2003-08-18
Brooklyn, NY
Netgear CM500

Amoris692001

Premium Member

Range extender / repeater question

Greetings,

I want to share the Cable Internet (Fios not offered by me) with my landlord. They are open to the idea as we'd save costs and get faster speed. We're planning to upgrade to Optimum 101 (101mb download) as that's the fastest we get in my neighborhood.

My question should I buy a Range Extender?

We live in a two family home. I would put the range extender on my floor. I need to be able to connect ethernet cable to my router.

I found this range extender and it seemed to fit the specs.

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction?

»www.amazon.com/dp/B00HHRP11C
Expand your moderator at work

koitsu
MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
Humax BGW320-500

koitsu to Amoris692001

MVM

to Amoris692001

Re: Range extender / repeater question

Range extenders often implement what they do by "re-broadcasting" wireless frames, in my experience. This causes all sorts of problems. Here's a real-world example of someone trying to use a Netgear WNP3000RP and making a big mess (gotta read the thread in full, but you'll see my posts go into great detail).

I'd suggest getting another AP and merging them together as two independent access points on the same network (I believe you can use WDS for this, but it may halve the bandwidth available). You might ask "how can that even work? One AP would be physically far away from the other, so how would it reach the Internet?" The answer is: use PowerLine adapters to network the two APs (since they have to be next to electrical outlets anyway).

RRedline
Rated R
Premium Member
join:2002-05-15
USA

RRedline

Premium Member

I would go with koitsu's second recommendation, prefereably connecting the second router (in access point mode) directly to the main router using ethernet. If a direct connection is not feasible, then perhaps powerline bridges might work for you as long as your grids connect to the same power box.

There are several ways to go about this, but I am not a big fan of the various "extender" products.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to Amoris692001

MVM

to Amoris692001
- what kind of distance(s) are we talking about between where the ISP's coming in to where you are?

- what kind of construction material(s) are being used?

- any significant sources of RF interference nearby?

Really dumb question, what stops you from running a physical cable instead? You mentioned a 2 family home (duplex?)

My 00000010bits

Regards

Amoris692001
This thread is worthless without pics
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY
Netgear CM500

Amoris692001

Premium Member

Hi everyone thanks for the responses.

It seems to be more than I thought. We have different power boxes so I guess the Powerline adapter won't work.

Distance wise about 25 to 30 feet, running a 50 to 75 foot cable with slack. A floor/ceiling in between me and the ISP connection. However, the landlord doesn't want to drill three holes (one above each doorway). I think it's mostly drywall.

It would be nice if she could install an Ethernet cable in the wall and snake it down to her but not holding my breath.

RRedline
Rated R
Premium Member
join:2002-05-15
USA

RRedline

Premium Member

If you need a wired connection to the Internet, even in the unit that does not have the actual outside connection coming in, you could set up a second router to act as a wireless bridge that connects to the main router in the other unit. I have an R7000 in bridge mode connecting to an R8000's 5 GHz radio, and I get anywhere from 40 to 80 MB/sec file transfers over it. Distance between the two radios is about forty feet. If you go this route, just be sure that the second router supports bridge mode. I'd imagine that most newer routers do. I'd also recommend 802.11ac.
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE to Amoris692001

MVM

to Amoris692001
said by Amoris692001:

A floor/ceiling in between me and the ISP connection. However, the landlord doesn't want to drill three holes (one above each doorway). I

think it's mostly drywall.

said by Amoris692001:

It would be nice if she could install an Ethernet cable in the wall and snake it down to her but not holding my breath.

...okay, figured I'd ask.

Regards

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to Amoris692001

Premium Member

to Amoris692001
Do you have cable in both locations, similar concept to powerline?

What about drilling in closets?
There must be something inventive you can do.

BlueMist
join:2011-01-24
Cookeville, TN

BlueMist to Amoris692001

to Amoris692001
said by Amoris692001:

Hi everyone thanks for the responses.
It seems to be more than I thought. We have different power boxes so I guess the Powerline adapter won't work.

If you mean the two of you have seperate breaker boxes then that may not be a deal breaker. What matters is if both breaker boxes are serviced from the same transformer and if the outlets in question are on the same power line feed.

Many breaker boxes use the breakers on the right side on one power cable and the left side on the other power cable. On some brands it is every other breaker on one side and the same on the other side.

So if both apartments are being powered from the same power company transformer it's just a matter of trying outlets until you find one that is on the same power line feed as your landlords outlet. And if that was not enough there are bridge capacitors also known as phase couplers a qualified electrician can install between the two power lines inside your breaker box to allow the RF signal to go to all of your outlets like those used by the X10 controllers.

Amoris692001
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Amoris692001

Premium Member

Sorry to respond so late. I have a fuse box on my level and so does my landlord. We have two seperate power bills so I assume this won't work.

My landlord wants to do this soon after delaying on her end.
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE to Amoris692001

MVM

to Amoris692001
Woah... threadamis resurrectamis... BlueMist See Profile already suggested what you can do from an electrical end
to confirm rather than just assuming.

The final question about ensuring proper wireless signal strength around is to start with one gateway / AP centrally
positioned, then going around the house with a laptop and checking the signal strength with INSSIDER or similar.
If there's areas with weak / no signal, then that may justify an extender or the other suggestions posited earlier.

tl;dr maybe you do need an extender, maybe you don't. Best way is to do a wireless site survey before putting down
cash.

My 00000010bits

Regards

Amoris692001
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Amoris692001

Premium Member

Thanks I will give it a try. I have a Cisco E1000. Maybe I can change the settings to make it an AP
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE to Amoris692001

MVM

to Amoris692001
As a pure radio on stock firmware, not likely. Your best bet is follow the directions in this link to use the E1000 as-is.

My 00000010bits

Regards

Amoris692001
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY
Netgear CM500

Amoris692001

Premium Member

said by HELLFIRE:

As a pure radio on stock firmware, not likely. Your best bet is follow the directions in this link to use the E1000 as-is.

My 00000010bits

Regards

Thanks. It seems to be working. Trying to move the wireless around to cover the entire floor.

We also have this split between the different floors (»www.amazon.com/gp/produc ··· F8&psc=1). So far so good.